Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: isthechurchtrue ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 08:32PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strengthening_Church_Members_Committee

The Committee is real and monitors members "publications" for apostasy. The Committee was created in 1985 by Ezra Daft Benson.

"The Strengthening Church Members Committee (SCMC) is a committee of general authorities of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) who monitor the publications of church members for possible criticism of local and general leaders of the church.

If criticism is found, the committee may forward information to local church authorities, who may bring charges of apostasy, which can result in excommunication."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jett ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 08:38PM

What if the person has already resigned. BTW, this sounds creepy and a waste of time.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 08:38PM

What if I say I'm sorry?

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 09:28PM

Lol @ elderolddog!
I think it sounds creepy, too. What type of person would do that? Somebody has way too much time on their hands.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 09:31PM

I’ve got an idea, how about if we put boxes around Morg neighborhoods and encourage children to report their parents’ secret coffee pots? Then, we could create a TBM Children’s Placement Program so we can put impressionable children in true TBM homes so that the sins of their parents don’t pollute them?

In all seriousness, when I stumbled upon one of my children’s patriarchal blessing I realized my local leaders have had quite a few discussions with my kids.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 01:17AM

Can they really afford to excommunicate anyone? Anyone who is bright enough to be publishing something true about LDS, Inc. probably has an income worth extracting tithing. Excommunication would just be an easy exit plan for someone already on their way out and one more loss of income stream for the corporation. The income lost from just two of my family members leaving was significant. They better think again about this committee.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 03:49AM

"Nobody expects the Mormon Inquisition! I mean. . . Nobody expects the Strengthening Church Members Committee!"

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 04:34PM

First off the meaning of the word apostasy has been bandied about until it seems to mean whatever the user wants it to mean.
The best definition that I have encountered is " The renunciation of a religion or belief."
Using this definition, disagreeing is not the same as renunciation.
It often times appears to me that the strengthening church members committee is nothing more than a witch hunting gossip forum.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 05:49PM

The SCMC reminds me in some ways of Catholicsm's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, which is a part of the Vatican Curia, or church hierarchy. The CDF was founded to keep the church from heresy; nowadays it is in charge of protecting church doctrine. The former Pope Benedict XVI (Joseph Ratzinger) was once the rather fearsome head of the CDF. In many ways, I think he was comparable during his tenure as Cardinal to Mormonism's Boyd Packer.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 03:33PM

Congregation for doctrine of the faith sounds pretty bad. My fathers side of the family all use to call themselves Catholic years ago before becoming mormons, Mormonism violence in pioneer days was bad But not anywhere near as bad as the holy inquisition. The violence during the 1700s-1800s puts anything that mormonism has done look pretty silly.

Kudos to anyone who figures out the horror of the holy catholic church of the devil, and finds their way out.

Catholicism ranks at the top of the list for barbaric cults, and half of Europe and all of Mexico still bow down to the beast. It's truly sad.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 03:52PM

Thoughtcrime is insidious. I didn't even know I was a thoughtcriminal until my Mormon family told me.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 25, 2018 12:21PM

don, being a thought criminal is far better than being a thought cop...and you're in better company! :)

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 05:33AM

And it means that at least, you HAVE some thoughts...

Posted by: FTG ( )
Date: June 25, 2018 10:35PM

Posted by: FTG ( )
Date: June 26, 2018 09:41PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.