Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 01:10PM

I've always said the word "God" is a completely inadequate metaphor used to try to describe the eternal mystery that remains a mystery to all of us.

In a Cosmos, 95% giant mystery we call Dark Matter/Energy, how can anybody be certain that mystery should be called Dark Matter/Energy? Isn't that name just a place holder until we find out more about what that 95% of the universe really is?
To me that's kind of like the word, God, it's just a metaphor or a placeholder we use to describe the vast mystery that remains a mystery to all of us.

I was just asking if there's another word, besides "god" to represent or embody that mystery. It seems to me there are other non-anthropomorphized words that are synonymous with the word, 'god', other cultures have used to symbolize that mystery, that may be more useful, like Logos, Tao, Genius and Great Spirit. There are millions of other non-anthropomorphic words through out history to describe the nature.

"Yes I believe in God, if by the word, 'God', you mean the embodiment of the immutable laws that govern the universe."
Carl Sagan

aka, nature?

“The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead —his eyes are closed. The insight into the mystery of life, coupled though it be with fear, has also given rise to religion. To know what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty, which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their most primitive forms—this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness.”

― Albert Einstein, Living Philosophies

aka, nature

"My concern is that atheism can easily become the position of not being interested in certain possibilities in principle. I don’t know if our universe is, as JBS Haldane said, “not only stranger than we suppose, but stranger than we can suppose.” But I am sure that it is stranger than we, as “atheists,” tend to represent while advocating atheism. As “atheists” we give others, and even ourselves, the sense that we are well on our way toward purging the universe of mystery. As advocates of reason, we know that mystery is going to be with us for a very long time. Indeed, there are good reasons to believe that mystery is ineradicable from our circumstance, because however much we know, it seems like there will always be brute facts that we cannot account for but which we must rely upon to explain everything else. This may be a problem for epistemology but it is not a problem for human life and for human solidarity. It does not rob our lives of meaning. And it is not a barrier to human happiness." Sam Harris, The Problem with Atheism

There are good reasons to believe that mystery is ineradicable from our circumstance. aka, nature.

So what do we call that mystery? maybe Nature is the best word.
Nature includes the vast mystery that is Dark Matter/Energy/singularity and probably a whole lot of other mysteries we have not even begun to imagine.

Isn't it possible that Dark Matter/Energy = Cosmological Constant.

If so, what Einstein himself called his biggest blunder, could in fact be his greatest theory. If Einstein would have had the Hubbel space telescope, don't you think he would have unified physics with quantum physics?

http://hubblesite.org/hubble_discoveries/dark_energy/de-did_einstein_predict.php

It's been a long process, but over the 100 years since Einstein came up with E=mc^2, we found out the universe was a whole lot bigger than the Milky Way Galaxy and now we've seen back in space 13.5 Billion years.

The inventor of String Theory thinks he's found Einstein's Unified Theory of Nature.

https://youtu.be/jremlZvNDuk

Michio Kaku says that God could be a mathematician: "The mind of God we believe is cosmic music, the music of strings resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace. That is the mind of God."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2018 02:03PM by koriwhore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 02:43PM

I love that you have one the pitched fork battle with the strawman underground.

Fight the good fight man.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 11:35PM

Actually, an Atheist need know nothing about the cosmos.
If you make a claim that gods are real then you need to back up the claim.

Date: June 24, 2018 12:40AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually, an Atheist need know nothing about the
> cosmos.
> If you make a claim that gods are real then you
> need to back up the claim.
God, aka Nature does not need defense. It is one and the same.
But truth is not a commodity, therefore it is pretty much worthless.
Except to those who see how it applies, how it works.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2018 12:42AM by koriwhore.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 12:41AM

Which god ?

Date: June 24, 2018 11:52AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> Which god ?
Sagans god, which is Einsteins god, only one who does play dice, on a subatomic level.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 03:16AM

This thread gives me a similar feeling...the feeling that I just watched "Interstellar".

For the record, I do not believe in god...but I have had some experiences that I can't explain. I don't want to discount them and say it was all just babble because that would not be honest.

All of that said I don't think there is some all-knowing being but I am open to the idea of a shared consciousness.

Date: June 24, 2018 03:57PM

praydude Wrote:
> This thread gives me a similar feeling...the
> feeling that I just watched "Interstellar".
>
> For the record, I do not believe in god...but I
> have had some experiences that I can't explain. I
> don't want to discount them and say it was all
> just babble because that would not be honest.
>
> All of that said I don't think there is some
> all-knowing being but I am open to the idea of a
> shared consciousness.
Our Milky Way Galaxy's center, Sagittarius A*, contantly radiates jets of plasma, literally stardust, from both poles, 25,000 light years from Earth. As our sun orbits the galaxy at over 1/2 million mph, it trails behind it plasma, stardust.
When we see Northern and Southern Lights, thats plasma from the sun in our magnetosphere.
E/c^2=m illuminated beautifully.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 04:29PM

praydude Wrote:
> This thread gives me a similar feeling...the
> feeling that I just watched "Interstellar".
>
> For the record, I do not believe in god...but I
> have had some experiences that I can't explain. I
> don't want to discount them and say it was all
> just babble because that would not be honest.
>
> All of that said I don't think there is some
> all-knowing being but I am open to the idea of a
> shared consciousness.

If you can sit through "Interstellar" then you are a badass superhero in my book.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.