Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 06:19PM

it!???

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 07:03PM

Yes

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 07:03PM

The church wants every dime it can get, no matter how poor a person is.

Nothing official is out there to my knowledge. But the common consent from my time at church was if you paid tithing on it as it was taken out of your paycheck you owe nothing as it is paid to you.

However, bishops will gladly take your cash.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 08:10PM

I would think of it as a form of insurance and would think it was therefore exempt. But I know the church wants money from everyone regardless.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 09:39PM

I was a fairly new convert, and paid my own tithing, but I have to confess, telling one of my SSI clients that it was "needs-based" income, meant for her to live on, and that the church didn't consider it income.

Social Security benefits are often higher, so I didn't opine on that one.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 10:01PM

The basis for not paying tithing on SS only works if you've been paying tithing on your gross salary. Using that view, you're just getting back tithed money. If you've only been paying tithing on your net salary, SS money is 'new' money and your bishop will probably ding you for not tithing on it.

But then even if you paid on your gross income, there could come a time when SS pays you back a sum equal to all the money you and your employer paid in. So after that, it's new money, and you owe owe ghawd his 10%!

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 10:39PM

SSI is a form of disability payment for people who did not contribute forty quarters of adequate social security payments. So that would be tithable if you really want to live cult rules and give your money to a cult.

SSD is a form of disability for people who paid in an adequate level of social security for forty quarters. When you get SSD, you are getting your own money back that you already paid tithing on. So even if you're living cult rules, you shouldn't pay tithing on that.

But most importantly, don't give any money to the mormon cult anyway, no matter what.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 10:39PM

Yes, had to pay off of SSDI. People on disability paying tithing, jeeesus christ. Doesn't get much lower than that.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: June 25, 2018 10:33PM

If you die with gold fillings in your teeth, the church wants those too.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 11:12PM

Don't, just don't.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 25, 2018 01:11PM

Need you ask?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 25, 2018 02:02PM

I don't think anyone should need to pay tithes on insurance benefits.

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: June 25, 2018 02:08PM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 25, 2018 02:09PM

and she also paid tithing on both disabled brothers' inheritance money. When my younger sister and I took over, we had a little bit more money to spend for the brother we are payees for. We need every penny. (Our other brother is his own payee.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2018 02:10PM by cl2.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 25, 2018 02:12PM

Just to be on the safe side, you should pay a full 10% of your SS, Retirement, VA aid to poor people, Medicare, Medicaid, insurance proceeds, inheritance, church welfare, your savings from growing your own tomatoes, your share of the sun's power, no matter whether you have already given God well more than 10% of what you paid in premiums or what you could possibly bring in in the time you have left.

God's test of your faithfulness is whether or not you leave your spouse with enough to take care of themselves. If you don't, God knows you put him first and will bless you with people who feel sorry for you and will take your sorry ass in when you're an invalid.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: June 25, 2018 04:15PM

Absolutely.

God needs your money.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 25, 2018 05:40PM

I hope that no one is putting pressure on you to pay tithing. If that is the case, be strong and say, "No." A church with a stock portfolio in excess of 32 billion dollars does not need your money. You need your money.

Posted by: JulieG ( )
Date: June 25, 2018 10:26PM

The church would probably say yes. I say no. Those on SSI or SS receive so little they need every dime to live on. The church has billions of dollars. They don't need the money of someone on SSI or SS.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: June 26, 2018 12:56AM

Every bishop I know demands tithing AND fast offerings be paid off of both SSDI and SSI disability incomes, plus VA disability.

At one time (as a young person suffering from cancer) I was on SSI, and yes, I was told that I had to pay tithing on the SSI, plus the cost of two meals to the fast offering fund.

I didn't have enough money to live on, and, like a fool, I paid.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 26, 2018 01:30AM

That is truly awful, Southern ExMo. Awful and inhumane. What a horrible excuse for a "church."

Posted by: lachesis ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 06:40PM

I think this is the reason the more savvy young millennial members are pretty united in their stance that you pay on your net. Then you can pay on what you actually get in your retirement years. The mormon church hasnt publicly taken a stand because if they said to do it that way, everyone will. Thats worse case scenario and it isnt that bad. If they say that its between you and God there will still be a fairly good percentage of people who think they’ll get extra salvation points for always paying on their gross. Thats even better.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.