Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 02:17PM

...and that number may be conservative!!!

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: QuestionsofFaith ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 04:16PM

My understanding is that they got on their horses and went there themselves. They shouldn’t have, obviously, but there are enough written accounts by many different people to know that they weren’t arrested and dragged there.

The charges were charges of riot related to the destruction of the Expositor press....again they shouldn’t have, but it’s not a capital crime worthy of capital punishment. I’ve always found it a sad story, less because of the Mormon element, but more because of how opposed it was to our constitutional values.

Not sure why TBMs wouldn’t know this, unless they’re lazy. It’s been in every historical account I’ve ever read.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 05:00PM

Joseph hit on his buddy's wife. His buddy got pissed and exposed the whole polygamy scam. Joseph ordered the vandalism of the printer's office. An arrest warrant was issued. Joseph ran. Joseph's brother convinced him to turn himself in instead of throwing everyone else under the bus. Joseph got himself killed.

The End.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 09:09PM

jacob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Joseph hit on his buddy's wife. His buddy got
> pissed and exposed the whole polygamy scam. Joseph
> ordered the vandalism of the printer's office. An
> arrest warrant was issued. Joseph ran. Joseph's
> brother convinced him to turn himself in instead
> of throwing everyone else under the bus. Joseph
> got himself killed.
>
> The End.

Nice, and this is why you do not hit on or sleep with another man's wife kids.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 05:21PM

So many TBMs dont take the time to study the history or their lesson material for that matter.I get into trouble all the time at church bringing up history from officially sanctioned materials.Too many lazy mormons freak when they hear some tidbit of history and end up on RFM because they didnt know anything excet faith promoting hearsay.

Posted by: jb ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 09:23PM

Same thing happened to me when I told the female GD instructor in W Jordan JS's views on Cain and Able. I also mentioned the temple recitation about sacrifices. She gave me the look of blasphemy and terror. I think she was shocked to discover the GD instruction manual was not direct revelation.

Posted by: Bendiendo ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 05:31PM

The ultimate "reason" why Joseph Smith went to Carthage was because he destroyed the Nauvoo Expositor, because that newspaper (founded by William Law...the First Counselor in the First Presidency) was honestly reporting that Joseph Smith was taking young women into his "office" above the red brick store, and secretly "marrying" them, often not letting them leave until they said "yes", and then going around publicly condemning polygamy, and then "marrying" mothers and their own daughters, and girls as young as 14.

what a MISTAKE I ever joined the LDS Church!!! Of course, I have over 1.5 million "hits" on my anti-Mormon youtube videos. So, I'm sure I've helped at least a "few" out of the Church, or not join the Church. Too bad I can't do more.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 05:39PM

Bendiendo
Yup. That's pretty much what happened. They used to have a glass over a blood spot on the floor where Joseph was shot and bled. Jumping out the window off the window ledge pretty much did him end. There are several different accounts to exactly what happened at that point.
You can count on the LDS Church white-washing all of their history for strengthening the faith of the members.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 06:58PM

Did they have glass on the floor where Joe’s victims were shot and bled?

Date: June 28, 2018 07:07PM

Babyloncansuckit Wrote:
> Did they have glass on the floor where Joe’s
> victims were shot and bled?

Not that I know of. Those were outside the room the prisoners were being held in. Oh..you were being sarcastic!

Date: June 28, 2018 07:11PM

Here are some fun stories. Not sure how accurate they are. It all depends on who is doing the reporting!

He did a lot of disrupting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Smith_and_the_criminal_justice_system

scroll down to this: Inciting a riot destroying the Nauvoo Expositor, June 1844
Main article: Nauvoo Expositor

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 05:45PM

Yeah, count me in as one of those TBM’s who didn’t know the real reason Joseph & Hyrum were put in jail. There was no mention of the Nauvoo Expositor or the destroyed printing press in any of the seminary materials I was supplied with. I was just taught that the Mormons were persecuted and Joe & Hyrum thrown in jail for no reason by “bad guys”.

In the end though, that probably was not a bad thing. Once I discovered “the rest of the story” about many things I had been taught as a youth, I began to question everything. Then the floodgates opened.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 06:03PM

What 99.9% of Mormons do know is that that Joseph and Hyrum went to jail because Satan had tricked everyone into hating Mormons and persecuting Mormons even though they were the most wonderful, generous, heavenly people on the planet and everyone was jealous of them. And, it was all part of God's plan. It always is, you know?

You know God loves you the most when he has you killed.

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 06:39PM

Thanks to the glorious Correlation program I have been super well indoctrinated that I really don't ever need to ask any questions to try to understand anything deeply. What I have learned to do instead thanks to this super glorious and wonderful Correlation program is to obey my leaders. They do the thinking. We do the obeying. Isn't that glorious?

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 07:02PM

Let's see. What prevents the members from asking questions or doubting?

**Oh yeah, the whole system of the cult.

**Told from diapers on that they are the elite and chosen, led by men who speak to God, that they must do this and this and then that continually, Mormons are in a circle of not having the time or the desire to break the rules and question this elite system which they have been indoctrinated to believe will bring them eternal life and a very prime ELITE spot for them.

**Yeah, the circle of Mormonism goes round and round and round and is enough to make a thinking person dizzy and nauseated.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 12:23AM

Joseph Smith was tarred and feathered several times before the day when he was killed. You've got to think for yourself 'what does a guy do to make a group of people angry enough with him to tar and feather him?'. They could have just beat him up. But no, the boiling hot sap from a tree would leave lasting pain without risking the possibility of killing him and being convicted for it. The process of preparing and applying that kind of revenge would be more fulfilling than a few minutes of inflicting blows on him. The affect would also be to humiliate him and not just to inflict pain and possibly some lasting disability. You have to ask what JS did to make people want to do that to him.

I think that it took a while of building frustrations from JS before they finally killed him. He wasn't a martyr. He got what he deserved. At one time, a group of local men had planned to hold JS down and use a knife to castrate him. When it came down to doing it, they couldn't follow through. These people in the community were not bad people. Even their vigilantes couldn't follow through. These were likely to have been good people who were at their whit's end and then something big happened to push them over the edge.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 05:39AM

azsteve Wrote:
> Joseph Smith was tarred and feathered several
> times before the day when he was killed.

Joseph was tarred and feathered only once, but I was also taught
about multiple tar-and-featherings at church when they were
exaggerating the persecutions as usual.

By the way, back in those days "tar" was not the hot, black,
petroleum-based stuff we call "tar" today.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 01:05AM

Joe was either so full of himself that he thought he was invincible, or, ?

I'm convinced that all the deference that members gave him didn't help his mental status.

Sexual deviate, that's for sure.

We'll most likely never know whether or not he had a Death Wish, but surely he had to know that he'd gone too far, angered too many people.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.