Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon4This ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 03:07PM

I’m at a pizza buffet place, killing some time with my laptop. When I walked in, a lady was in front of me, wearing a short white dress, with an extremely low back and sides, and not much in front either. Underneath is a bright red bra. In fact, I can hardly say “underneath,” because it’s exposed in almost every dimension. The back is completely exposed, as are the sides and tops of the rest. At the bottom it’s pretty short too, basically like a mini skirt.

TBMs would be going berserk about “modesty” of course. But I find it quite mesmerizing and can’t take my eyes off her!

I even wondered if perhaps she’s wearing some sort of cover over a swim suit, but I can see the red through the bit of white material on top, and nothing through the lower dress part.

What’s the protocol here? If I were to compliment her on her outfit, it’s gonna be pretty obvious that I’m talking about her bra. The dress, is minimal and just white. The bra is extremely “out there,” and larger than life. I know revealing bra straps is nothing hugely new in terms of fashion. I see girls with tops on at times with 2 and 3 different sorts of straps showing.

Anyway, I find her strangely attractive. Can I compliment her outfit? Clearly, she knows what she's wearing. Would she mind if it brought her some attention?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 03:22PM

Don't say anything to her. Just enjoy the view.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 03:28PM

Selena (Quintanilla-Perez) was an extremely successful American pop singer who was known for her songs (often romantic songs)which she sang in English, or Spanish, or Spanglish.

She was born in Texas, and she died (as the murder victim of her mentally-disordered fan club president) in Texas, in 1995.

Beyond her music, she was known for her daring-for-the-time, original with her, fashion statements, such as taking absolutely normal, off the shelf, bras and then sewing sequins in artistic designs on them, which transformed "underwear" into "outerwear" fashion statements--a kind of a "bathing suit top" which she often wore during her concerts and similar personal appearances.

Beyond her music, she also transformed how American women in general began to regard their underwear. A bra which was supposed to be "not seen" became something which, at least theoretically, could be considered "outerwear"...and the line between the two categories faded.

If this woman, a stranger to you, is wearing a "fashion statement" bra, then:

1) It is not a great idea to compliment her on it, or her clothing in general if the bra is that obvious, because (likely) you will come off looking like a creep.

2) If this woman is someone you might have some interest in other than her bra (and the message you would like to interpret from her wearing it), a simple "Hi!" can work wonders. Ask her if the [whatever] at the pizza bar is good. You can ask her if this is her first time at the pizza bar, or does she recommend the food?

From a female standpoint: You are nowhere near being able to [directly OR indirectly] compliment her on her bra. Pretend the bra doesn't even exist, and treat her like any other woman you would like to make friendly (not sexual) conversation with.

Mis dos centavos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2018 03:34PM by Tevai.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 03:42PM

"Pretend the bra doesn't even exist"

Now there's an idea that's never occurred to any post-adolescent boy, ever. :D

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 03:36PM

I'm against bras.
I'm indifferent to fashion.
I'm generally (thought not always) in favor of manners.

Which is why I agree with rubi123 above -- just enjoy the view. Keep your compliments to yourself :)

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 03:44PM

She sounds like a siren.

Take the advice of those before. Say nothing. Enjoy the view.

If you really want to make her acquaintance, make polite conversation but no mention of her striking outfit. She has to know it's sensational already. You don't want to be the one drawing attention to her bra.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 03:45PM

You find her "strangely" attractive and it is all about a red bra? What are you 15?

For reals, if you want to talk to her do so. But if you walk up and tell her that you are "strangely" attracted to her red bra expect a fairly icy response.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 03:49PM

O/T to your O/T...

Several years ago, back in my college days, I was waiting on a friend outside the Y after swimming some laps. An attractive coed exited the building, and I found myself staring at her while trying to figure out why she was so familiar to me.

About the same time she noticed me staring, it dawned on me that she was one of the handful of people doing laps with me in the pool. Since I'm blind as a bat without my glasses, I didn't recognize her face, but I recognized her general shape and how she moved.

A little flustered by her attention to my attention, I blurted out, "I'm sorry. I didn't recognize you with your clothes on."

I never saw her at the pool again after that. I should have just kept my mouth shut and enjoyed the view.

Posted by: Shawn ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 03:55PM

If she is single (and your single), I tend to think it is perfectly okay to strike up a casual conversation about anything, i.e. the menu, etc. If that goes well, then after awhile say, "I love your outfit..you are absolutely georgeous by the way." It's not obvious you are talking about the bra. Compliment her from the front of course. She wants the compliment and attention. You could get her number if that goes well. Always come her for dating advice. We'll take care of you.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 03:58PM

Probably best to focus on the pepperoni that's on your pizza.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2018 03:58PM by messygoop.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 04:03PM

Under no circumstances--if you do talk to her--under no circumstances are you to ask her if she likes Italian sausage...

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 04:23PM

I see this is marked: O/T, however, I find it's directly related to our Mormon experiences and how we have been taught to behave in a certain way and what we tend to think of people who don't follow the same customs and rules of dress. The more awkward the situation the harder it is to make a decision about what to say and do in a nanosecond.

Sometimes, I wonder if someone is coming from theater rehearsals and has not changed their costume. Others, I wonder if they just got out of bed and didn't bother to change out of their PJ's and bedroom slippers.

On a Sunday, in TX, some years ago, we were in a grocery store picking up supplies. One county could not sell alcohol until after 2 p.m. It became apparent that some folks had come directly from church in their "Sunday-go-to-meeting" outfits to buy alcohol on the way home!

I was interested in the replies and advice in this thread.
As a very senior woman, I'm often aghast at what I see out in public. If someone has gotten my attention, looked at me, for instance, I'm from the school of: smile and nod! Most often, it's all that is needed.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 04:25PM

in b 4 ~ just walk up and say, "how you doin?" ~

https://youtu.be/YjQ1xD6UL-4

ETA: where are the links to the pics OPie ??? ~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2018 08:03PM by ziller.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 04:55PM

Bras are worn less and less and if they are worn they are more often than not meant to be seen.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2016/07/19/braless-millenials-bralette/87111292/

https://www.allure.com/story/why-women-are-going-braless-bralettes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2018 05:04PM by anybody.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.