Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 02:48AM

"(T)here was no death of any living creature before the fall of
Adam! Adam’s mission was to bring to pass the fall and it came
upon the earth and living things throughout all nature. Anything
contrary to this doctrine is diametrically opposed to the
doctrines revealed to the Church! [the money quote-->] IF there
was any creature increasing by propagation before the fall, then
throw away the Book of Mormon, deny your faith, the Book of
Abraham and the revelations in the Doctrine and Covenants!"
-- Joseph Fielding Smith, "Answers to Gospel Questions" Vol. 5

News flash: There have been creatures increasing by propagation
on the earth for over a billion years.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 03:02AM

Thanks baura, now that is some counsel from a church leader that I can get behind and fully support. In fact I already did those things long ago so I am in compliance with J.F.Smiths wise counsel.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 04:41AM

Follow the prophet, he knows the way.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 11:21AM

But..."he was speaking as a man, not a prophet," says every mormon unwilling to confront the false statements of their prophets...

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 04:53PM

If you can't believe everything he says, why should you believe anything he says?

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 11:34AM

I had a high school biology teacher (a real BYU yayhoo) who quoted JFS as saying you couldn't believe in evolution and the divine mission of Christ... I read Smith's "Man, His Origin and Destiny" the next year.

Christ lost, honest, and even though I have a faith in a "Higher Power" these days, I retain a keen interest in evolution and the ancestry of humankind that first appeared in Africa around a million or so years ago...

BTW, Smith's predecessor, David O. McKay, did believe in evolution...

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 01:21PM

"IF there was any creature increasing by propagation before the fall, then throw away the Book of Mormon, deny your faith, the Book of Abraham and the revelations in the Doctrine and Covenants!"

Funny, he doesn't mention The Bible?

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 05:47PM

The Bible creation story is.....merely a story for people long past. Intelligent Christians can accept that it is not literal.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 06:01PM

Okay, so can "Intelligent Christians" accept that the Resurrection is "not literal" either?

SLC
Whose "remnant Christianity" still causes him to lose sleep over that one

Posted by: The Riddler ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 01:31PM

I have news for you, the whole family of Joseph Smith and his decedents threw away the Book of Abraham, never believed the D&Cs, and stated that the Book of Mormon is not even historical. So, who are you to believe????

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 02:37PM

To all naysayers who believe in any Old Earth theories (such as the radical idea that the earth could now be 6010 years old or older) I remind you that D&C does not stand for "Delusions & Crap" but for "Doctrine and Covenants" :) With that in mind I shall share a sacred Doctrine verse with you.

"We are to understand that it contains the revealed will, mysteries, and the works of God; the hidden things of his economy concerning this earth during the seven thousand years of its continuance, or its temporal existence."

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/77.6

The Millenium is going to be 1000 years when Jesus reigns personally on the earth with world government headquarters in Zion in western Missouri. Well that day obviously hasn't started yet. Thus its safe to assume that the earth could be no older than at least 5998 years right now. Well if City Creek Mall was closed and Utah emptied out of the Saints then it could be possibly 5999 years old but no older :) The only possible way to suppose the earth is any older is to suppose that the Doctrine is false. But that's unthinkable because the beloved Correlation program has well-taught me to never allow Doubts to enter my mind so I got to keep a protective bubble over my mind at all times to shut out any doubting ideas.

Those poor pathetic exmormons who open themselves up to ideas like the earth being 6010 years or older. This is not a matter of speculation. Its doctrine. That's why its in the D&C :)

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 08:29PM

but if none of us remember back that far in time how can we be so sure that there has been procreation for a billion years?

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 08:50PM

So, those dinosaurs who fell in the tar pits didn't die?

Maybe those tar pits were only good for slathering on Joseph smith before rolling him in feathers.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.