Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 03:32PM

are expected to bring law to the lawless aka Judge Dredd style.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chalupa ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 03:49PM

In my neck of the woods there is no great calls for senior missionaries any more. What gives with that?

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 04:31PM

My aunt and uncle are on a senior mission for their stake in the heart of the Utah. They showed up at my nephews wedding wearing their missionary badges, which was very strange. They get released soon and said they are looking forward to a vacation.

What a huge waste of time. Retiring is for vacations not a continued drain on time.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 04:38PM

Didn't they volunteer though because they wanted to?

Of all the things they might be doing, they chose to do this ie, serve a mission. Yes, it's a drain of their time and money. They don't see it that way. They see blessings instead, however ill informed they really are.

As for wearing their mishie badges at your nephew's wedding ... well it would make a conversation piece for their Mormon friends. Add, they may be required to wear them while they're still serving a mission.

My paternal grandparents served a senior mission in their golden years. It was a short drive from their home, so they didn't have to travel far. They were salt-of-the-earth people. Wonder what they'd think today were they alive to learn of the same info we have access to?

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 06:38PM

Most of the retirees from around here that have been "called" on senior missions are providing free labor for TSCC managing the mission car fleet or doing office work. One couple is even managing a youth camp, but they do get to wear those neat missionary name tags and pay all their own expenses!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 11:58PM

nowadays and didn't go seeking to be a missionary. My ex's sister and BIL were called to work at the employment office and one of his coworkers was also. His coworker (retired) told him that he is working harder now than he did while at his job. He is kind of irritated about it.

Many couples being called locally. One of my neighbors is also one. They have already been on a couples mission and now doing one local. They wear their badges, too. I see a lot of couples wearing the badges around here.

I never would have done a mission even as a devout mormon. I can't believe how many couples I know who have served several missions. In fact, that reminds me I need to e-mail a friend, who I don't believe is on a local mission right now. They served 2 long-distance missions already, Germany and California.

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 12:21AM

I'm with you cl2. I thought how wrong it was that seniors were out serving the cult after years of it already and decades of working at a job too. So so senseless!
I knew a young couple in my ward whose parents served several missions and all of their 10 children and their spouses were expected to kick in at least $200 a month to pay for their parents missions. So sick and wrong. This young couple was struggling as it was and then this added expense along with tithing....so disgusting.....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.