Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: invinoveritas ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 12:31AM

Just saying.

About two hours ago or so.

8:30 PM, Ogden Ut, East Bench, door bell rings, 2 little yappin’ dogs that belong to the wife go crazy.

Two clean cut, very very young boys, white shirt and dark tie, LDS name tags.

I open the door.

Me: “Are you LDS?” (Very obvious, YES)

Missionary: “Why Yes, we are.”

Me: “I’m sorry, I don’t think your message is anything I haven’t already heard. I am not interested.”

Missionary: “Our message is about the love of Jesus Christ.”

Me: “I’m sorry, I am not interested. Thank You.”

Missionary: In his best incredulous voice-- “You would not be interested in the Love Jesus has for His followers.”

He is kind of aggressive, that sort of instantly pisses me off, and I raise my voice a decibel and come on a little strong.

Me: “I’m 65 years old, and you are just young. I don’t think you can tell me anything, and I will not allow you to judge me or tell me what I think of Jesus. I like your Jesus Christ very much, it’s you “so called Christians” I have the problem with” (credit to Gandhi). Come back in 50 years. Thank you again, goodbye”. The door is hurriedly shut, almost slammed. I turn the porch light off.

I couldn’t help and notice both looked absolutely shocked. (They were both so young—I guess I said that already).

But come on, if you are 19 years old trying to sell me something unannounced at 8:30 PM on a Monday night at my own home, me being a 65 year old man that’s been to hell and back in his lifetime--What did you expect? One is bound to hear something one has never heard before.

I feel kind of bad, but if I was nice I would still be talking. Mormons don’t know what the words “No Thank You” mean.

Oh, if only I was a poet, an Ode to Misguided Youth would surely be forthcoming. This stuff cannot be good for the psychic of all those young people, doors shut in their faces, night after night, day after day. (My respect to all those who are out of the Church, and went through this).

Me thinks the LDS Church needs to change that missionary program most dramatically (charitable or service oriented for two years comes to mind). The Church would still get their brainwashed LDS members back for life, and it would probably do wonders for America’s public perception about the Church. This door to door Amway Salesman stuff just doesn’t work in today’s world. Hello—1950 was 68 years ago.

However, a change like that would take some kind of inspiration, or prophetic vision, and that hasn’t really been seen from the Church Office Building in downtown SLC in a very long time. (Not that prophecy from the Church was ever seen by the critical thinking person, just a bunch of power hungry white dudes who wanted to screw). Ah, the truth is like nature, it can be cruel at times.

Prophet, seer, and revelator my Butt.

Maybe I will be sorry for posting this. Two shots of Bicardi white rum and starting my vacation today for a week. But dang, living in Utah sure can be interesting--Us vs Them—or at least it seems to me. No way to run a state with 3.1 million people. I get these young missionaries at my door about twice a year, regular as a Swiss clock.

Usually I'm nice, but this guy rubbed me wrong.

Just saying.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Invinoveritas2 ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 12:51AM

Right on! Tell it like it is.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 01:06AM

There’s nothing like a smartass 18 year old. I should know, I was one a long time ago.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 01:49AM

What aggressive salespeople.

Pro tip: You don't need to open the door or answer the door.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 02:17AM

I hear ya! The last thing I want is a couple of missionaries knocking at my door -- anytime. I'm older than you and would also have given them a few things to think about. I have had my share of fun with the missionaries in the past. They are not allowed where I live now.

I would like to see some of the old missionary service and entertainment programs return. If they are going to send out missionaries, make them useful or entertaining!

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 03:38AM

Enjoyed your story. My grandson has recently returned to the states from his "service" to the MormonCult. Welcoming him back to the good-ole U S of A which I said was fast going to hell in a Trumpian-mob-ruled hurry, he very seriously replied that this is what he has heard but he will have to look into it and decide for himself.

What? and where, oh where, had my fun-loving, non-serious grandson gone who would have answered before he left with a wisecrack.

I did get him to laugh and smile some as the conversation continued, and I should not be so hard on him as he has only been home less that 2 weeks, and ......I guess I need to be grateful that he is even talking with his apostate Grandma and agreed to a lunch date with just the two of us.

He never had a chance not to serve as he was very indoctrinated in a TBM family from birth on. His family life has been interesting for me to observe as the whole nine yards of the conservative rules is always present and expected to be followed. I bet that this grandson would rebel in some shape or other. So far, I'm loosing that bet but will not give up hope.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2018 03:40AM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 09:29AM

Have you tried placing a "no soliciting/proselytizing" sign on your door yet?

It's annoying to have to do that, but it beats getting the knock knock on your door from the missionaries!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 09:42AM

You have a 100% right to say who may come to your door and how long they may stay.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: July 06, 2018 11:03AM

Actually we don't have the right to who shows up as the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled door to door religious people can do what they do as a protected 1 st Amendment right .If they are asked/told to leave amd don't then that's trespassing

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 10:43AM

That is so annoying when they knock. I remember when I was driving home and my neighbor called saying it looked like there was a car casing my house. They were parked across the street. She said they looked clean cut and they had not left the car so she had not called the police yet. I pulled in at 8:45PM. It was winter so it was dark. I live alone and noticed in the car was the Bishop and 2 missionaries. They remained out there for 5 more minutes and I heard a knock. I answered and stepped out on the porch after slamming the door behind me. I proceeded to yell at them and told them my neighbor almost called the police and how dare they assume I would be happy to see them in the dark. I then told them to get off my property or I would call the police. At that moment my other neighbor from across the street came out to see if I was ok and if they needed to call 911. I looked at them and asked "does my neighbor have to do that? They walked very quickly to their car and left. Never saw them again. I am usually a nice person, but this needed to be stopped immediately.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 11:17AM

Creepy stalkers!

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 11:22AM

I might have told the neighbor to call while you were still driving. I agree with Amyjo creep stalkers.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 11:53AM

From my exmo point of view that is a wonderful opportunity :) have some nice things printed out and hand it to them to read, so that their eyes my be opened :)

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 12:54PM

Got new batch of missionaries this week in the area.

They started the usual pitch and asked if I ever heard about the book of Mormon? Have I ever had a desire to attend a church service, this was a new one for me.

Told them, been there, done that.

Then one asked if I wanted to be baptized.

That one was a new one to me.

Told them I knew too much about LDS to be part of them.

Then they looked a bit rejected when I said all other organizations, fraternal and religious ask that you study and learn about the organization before wanting you to join. Not LDS, get baptized and then over the next 20-30 years you get to learn about the finer points of the organization.

They did ask if I had anything they could do for me around the house. I have a hard time resisting the urge asking them to paint my house.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 01:10PM

Using the name of Jesus as a cover pisses me off.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 01:40PM

Missionary: “Our message is about the love of Jesus Christ.”

Other Missionary: "That's all we wanted to tell you, no rules, no dress code, no tithing, no boring meetings, no hours wasted in stupid callings--just love. Sorry to knock so late. Have a great night!"

Said no LDS mishies, ever.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 06:49PM

Luv it! Would be so refreshing to hear this and for these teens, IF THEY MUST BE OUT SELLING THE MORMONCULT, to utter.

May the MormonCult abusing mishie program die a sudden death, and soooooooooooooooooooooon!

(I goofed as this comment was meant to refer to ChickenBaskets comment)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2018 06:51PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: invinoveritas ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 08:23PM

To Chicken N. Backpacks and presleynfactsrock

I was kind of thinking of this today. With LDS, the first words are always about the BOM, or our Heavenly Father,or the Restored Gospel from Joseph Smith, never ever about Jesus Christ.

It surprised me. It did kind of catch me off guard, and it was also what got my gander up!

A new tactic--or what? They should just quit trying and get their young asses back into college or whatever.

I don't know.

I used to watch Rod Serling on the Twilight Zone in the 60's. Loved it. How interesting it is that I sometimes feel like I am in an episode of that series, especially when working with some of my LDS co-workers. One of his famous quotes is--- "being like everybody is like being nobody". That's what I see when I talk to Mormons, and it's my definition of the Mormon culture.

Oh well, life goes on!

Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 10:25PM

I know how you feel! My cousin who is still a member of the church of Christ is getting on my nerves!! No matter what picture or anything I send her I get what is this? What is this about? I don't believe in evolution! They don't send young missionaries out but do have missionaries and they brag all the time

Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 10:27PM

If the Mormons knock on my door I will say sorry but I want nothing to do with your so called religion at all! And I don't need to be in a hate group either, bye enjoy your polygamy! And I will close the door

Posted by: jett ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 11:17PM

With 2 million morms in Utah, who needs missionaries?

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: July 04, 2018 01:49AM

You said what they needed to hear loud and clear. They'll now understand better when the doors get slammed on them night after night w/o the needed explanation. Who knows. Maybe the light will finally go on for them.

My answer to "Don't you want to learn about the love Jesus has for you?" will be, "Sorry gents, but Jesus died around 2,000 years ago. I'm in no hurry to follow him to wherever he went just to get a little lovin."

And the way to get LDS,Inc. to switch to service/charity missions for those sad sack kids is to give the Big 15 the data proving that the change will put more money in the corporation coffers. In other words, it's not likely to happen any time soon.

Posted by: Particles of Faith ( )
Date: July 05, 2018 09:55AM

Those kind of experiences can have an unintended impact. I remember the following conversations I had (or witnessed) as a missionary that have stuck with me to this day.

Me: I know the church is true

Me: (thrilled that someone thought me that old) I’m 20.

Contact: You’re 20 years old and you’ve already made up your mind? How can you be that closed minded?

That conversation came back to me many times during my apostasy.

Another.

My companion: Well, you know baptism comes from a word in the original Greek that means immersion so sprinkling is inappropriate.

Contact: Don’t you think that you should know more about Ancient Greek than that before you act like an expert?

Finally.

I was in Grand Forks, ND. A very nice couple invited my companion and I in. In the course of small talk I mentioned I wanted to go to medical school. They loaned me a few very nice books on the history of medicine. I was so focused on the mission that I took them graciously and returned them in a couple of weeks unread. They had no interest in my message but they had an interest in me. I regret not reading the books. The point is that I never forgot them.

I guess what I am trying to say is if some random interactions can result in a TBM like I was to turn into an apostate ex-Mormon then who knows what can happen with others as a result of similar “little things.”

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 05, 2018 09:43PM

The fact that non-mormons can be caring, charming, interesting, intelligent and HAPPY! can plant a seed in missionaries that can bring forth the fruit of apostasy.

This is the tactic I prefer. I've often told elders that I had a great mission and that it was instrumental in helping me gain the knowledge that freed me from mormon servitude. They have to know my smile is genuine, and if I'm with La Saucie, my happiness is clearly visible.

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: July 05, 2018 11:28AM

This thread reminds me of a story my TBM BF told me a couple of years ago. He was on splits with the missionaries. It was their last visit of the night. They stopped in front of the house and BF stated it was late for an appointment. The elder stated they did not have one. My BF(knowing what I say and do if members/missionaries came uninvited) asked if they could at least call while in the car. The elder stated they never call ahead because most of the time they are told to not come over. My BF asked if they do not want you when you call, then what makes you think they would be happy to see you in the dark without being invited? He said the elders looked at each other and got out of the car anyway and went to the door. BF refused to go. BF was correct, they were reamed by the man who answered. They said nothing being driven to their apt. They got out without thanking BF.

I laughed and said they probably think you caused the incident because you lacked faith in their special powers. BF just rolled his eyes. He was never asked to go on splits again.

Posted by: lazylizard ( )
Date: July 05, 2018 06:16PM

I notice female missies tend to ve sweeter and more understanding. I had two knock on my door and they left very nicely without incident...

The church has them right where they want them!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2018 06:16PM by lazylizard.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: July 06, 2018 02:59PM

I feel left out . living in SLC we have had the missionaries only show up once at our current location of 14 years . When we lived in Taylorsvile a suburb of SLC they came to the door all the time .Maybe they have better luck in SL suburbia. When they did come it was a very cold day and I invited them in. offered them a cold beer and they both smiled and laughed . talked for a bit and told them why I am no longer Mormon. We Talked about where they were from and our favorite pro and college basketball teams . they were not pushy at all .Wished one another a good day and they were off to knock on more doors. I was civil and polite because they were . I will be less than cool if some young Nazi Mormon missionary starts with the nonsense about not being "saved" or "only true church" I got the impression they were burned out on trying to sell something they had zero chance of selling and I had zero chance of buying

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.