Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: July 04, 2018 02:57PM

Please keep us updated on the status of your friend; let it be known that it is completely her choice.....but she needs to be fully informed.

Has your friend seen these undercover videos?

http://www.youtube.com/user/NewNameNoah

Let it be known that a few people here including Eric K the owner aren't fond of him, and right now he's doing something that's frankly dumb, but it doesn't change the fact that.....

ALL OF THESE UNDERCOVER VIDEOS ARE TRUE!

Have her watch the videos of the endowment ceremonies, including the one with movies (since SLC uses live actors and may be confusing) and the other ordinances conducted in there. Let her decide whether she wants to proceed. If she does, fine. Until recently, the church never ever told what exactly goes on in there.

I swear, all these you see in these videos are completely true!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2018 02:59PM by Agnes Broomhead.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: helenm ( )
Date: August 02, 2018 01:58PM

Wow, Agnes Broomhead, thank you for the shout out.

I was a taken back when she decided to join the church and so were our mutual friends who are closeted non-believers and formally resigned exmormons. She is a lot smarter than this and we have tried showing her the videos in the past and she did watch many of the videos from the newnamenoah Youtube channel. Me and our friends use to take bets on when her shelf would crack, but we stopped for some time now.

We met up with her this afternoon for light lunching. She did mention she started reading the Doctrines and Covenants. She plans on reading the Journal of Discourses and the church essays after. After it ended, one of our formally resigned friend told me "if that doesn't crack her shelf, idk what will." Hopefully her eyes open.

Date: August 04, 2018 09:11PM

From hindsight, I think the family-centered aspect of the church was what attracted her. Idk but I'm pretty sure.

Date: August 09, 2018 09:49PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2018 09:50PM by helenm.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 02:58PM

helenm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From hindsight, I think the family-centered aspect of the church was what attracted her. Idk but I'm pretty sure.

You might try talking to her about how the church tends to suck away time and resources from families. Going to a YSA ward, she may not see that. But if she marries a man who makes it into church leadership, or who has another demanding calling, her hope of having very much family time on weekends might be shot. Ditto for her with her own callings. And being a YSA, she may not realize that the 10% tithe can deplete a family of badly needed money.

There are plenty of family-oriented churches, if that's what she's looking for. She would go for about an hour a week, and only volunteer as much time and money as she felt she could handle.

Date: August 10, 2018 05:06PM

She was in a family ward before she decided to go to a YSA ward. And she's already made it clear to me she intends on being a jack Mormon. She told me life's too short to be deprived of life's simplest pleasures and there are things she won't give up for garments and she's too free-spirited to marry a Mormon.

Mutual friends and I are still waiting for her to see the light. And she realizes that 10% tithing can do because she is seriously a smart person (which surprises us as to how she could end up in the Mormon church to begin with...)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 06:05PM

It's probably a matter of time, then. I would just let it play out. She'll have fun with the YSAs. But eventually she may be frozen out if she doesn't play the game.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 02, 2018 02:27PM

One of the key ways Mormons get people to convert is to love bomb them into the cult. That appeals to their emotions which overrules their logic.

Many converts I observed while still a member would wonder what happened after their baptism? Suddenly all that love bombing went away. They no longer felt special or sought out. Some even became ignored over time.

If people relied on their logic TSCC would be bleeding more members daily. But they don't. Some stay to be "cultural Mormons." For them they know no other way to live. The brainwashing is so complete. Others like converts, may stand a fighting chance to get out easier because they have less vested.

Hopefully your friend if she's even half-informed, will make an informed judgment call for her sake.

Date: August 09, 2018 09:51PM

My convert friend tried the funeral potatoes recipe from The Essential Mormon Cookbook tonight and served it at her YSA meeting. She cut down the butter in the recipe, but upon trying it, her stomach turned. That is a heck of a lot of sour cream in the recipe (NOTE: she used light sour cream).

Told me it ruined her 1st Mormon cooking experience...says it's better to cut the butter by more than a half and the sour cream down by half. Everyone else loved it...except her. She's got a sensitive stomach. I just thought to give everyone here a fair warning if you haven't tried the recipe before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2018 09:51PM by helenm.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 10:58AM

I can only imagine what my mom (a convert who was formerly Presbyterian) must have thought when she first experienced the temple. Must have been a mind fuck for her.

Date: August 10, 2018 05:07PM

Back then, from what I know from one of my exmo friend's older family members, the rituals were more bizarre and scary. Plus, they use to do the washing and anointing ceremony where you were naked & they use to pull you close at the veil making people feel violated......I'm sure your mother was traumatized.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.