Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: July 09, 2018 01:47PM

The Mormon / LDS Attitude-

My opinion is that Actions follow our Attitudes.
Attitudes are or include feelings, opinions. Also in our inventory of decision / action rules are what we perceive as Facts.

I’ve never been to Paris France (or, Paris Idaho), but I understand from other information that those places exist? Yes I do. If I visit (those) places, my faith/belief will change to an incontrovertible ‘fact’.

On this board, we seem to ‘talk around’ the Mormon lds attitude, sometimes we directly mention it, sometimes rather obliquely…

Contributing to Mormon Attitudes (MHO):

They readily accept what leaders tell them as Facts. Some More, some Less.

If you attempt to tell LDS that what leaders say or write isn’t always or even mostly first-hand information, they balk.

They’ve been taught that the Prophet & apostles are a direct conduit between God & humans… Adulation for & compliance to leaders are 100% requirements of LDS life.

Mormons almost universally believe that they’re Better than people who Don’t:

- Show skin that should be covered by garments, even when sleeping with spouse!
This negates or eliminates intimacy between partners, puts the church (teachings) more important than intimacy. Simply Awful, IMHO.

- Shop on Sundays, plus lots of other trivial issues

- Use alcohol, drugs, tobacco

- Question leaders (capital punishment for those who do!)
To sum up, many of us believe that the typical Mormon attitude tends to be arrogant, sometimes obnoxiously so.

Other attitudinal attributes common to TBMs?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: c ( )
Date: July 09, 2018 06:29PM

Great post! I agree that TBM do have this certain attitude/approach. In my experience, my extended family (who are all active in the church) will bring up something LDS related at a family reunion almost every single time. Does this happen to anyone else? For example, it could be a conversation about some experience that happened to be positive and then boom "THE CHURCH IS TRUE GUYS" like... no. sorry to break your bubble, but it's not.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: July 12, 2018 10:54AM

Yes! I get so tired of conversations going back to the LDS church.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 09, 2018 08:19PM

Tunnel vision, as though they're wearing blinders. That contributes to Mormon arrogance, because if you don't fit within their neatly held views, they can't and won't see you.

In a way it works to an advantage, because it helps to keep a safe distance and therefore detachment from all things Mormony.

I will say not abusing drugs, using tobacco or alcohol does contribute to a healthier lifestyle. So it doesn't make a person better than someone who does these things by not doing them. It just helps them live a more healthy, robust lifestyle.

I've learned recently that alcohol causes cancer, from my oncology doctors who go over checklists with me of dos and don'ts. I honestly did not know that before. Tobacco is a no brainer, but alcohol too? I rarely imbibe. Now it's one more reason for me not to.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 02:22AM

That’s the first thing I noticed. It’s like I had been wearing blinders all that time.

Mormons seem nice at first. Then the culty comes out. Maybe I was like that, weirding people out. I totally believed all of it. Had my year of food storage waiting for God to lay on the whoopass.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: July 11, 2018 02:46PM

GNPE1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Mormon / LDS Attitude-
>
> My opinion is that Actions follow our Attitudes.
> Attitudes are or include feelings, opinions. Also
> in our inventory of decision / action rules are
> what we perceive as Facts.
>
> I’ve never been to Paris France (or, Paris
> Idaho), but I understand from other information
> that those places exist? Yes I do. If I visit
> (those) places, my faith/belief will change to an
> incontrovertible ‘fact’.

The existence of those places is an incontrovertible fact regardless of what you do.

The reality / "fact" of those places being in existence exists completely independent of your actions or beliefs. Truth is completely independent. Truth is where you find it ....and where you do NOT find it, because it just is, it exits regardless of what you or anyone else does or thinks post facto.

IF you personally visited those places then their existence would become first hand personal knowledge. Their existence is a fact regardless of what you do, or not.

MORmONS get in trouble when they start up declaring that they "know" that the Book of MORmON is "true" as in accurate /veritable based on certain feelings that they have had, just as they have been instructed to have those feelings by their foul noxious leaders.

Then MORmONS want to feel superior to others that A, Generally Reject the errant MORmON Burning Bosom feelings based methodology of supposedly determining truth post facto. B. Condemn others who are not capable of gaining a personal testimony of the Book of MORmON.

MORmONS insist that their MORmON "good feelings" way of determining truth is just as valid as scientific method.

It is NOT !!!

MORmONS should be forced to use bridges and elevators and ships and buildings that are designed with pure feelings based fact determining engineering. MORmONS should be forced to rely on the faulty / false equivalency of fact determining where feelings equal actual validation that they so emphatically endorse.

Posted by: TX Rancher ( )
Date: July 11, 2018 10:57PM

I got into a discussion with my TBM cousin....and eventually laughed while telling her, "You Mormons think that you're the only truly happy people....that if someone doesn't have 'the gospel,' they aren't really happy."

She denied it. "No, that's not what we believe!"

Yeah, right. She couldn't even admit it.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 12, 2018 12:32PM

While I haven't been to Paris, France - have been to Paris, Idaho. It's a charming little town, and the county seat for Bear County. The Oregon Pioneer Trail runs through it aka part of Hwy 89.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2018 12:34PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: lurkeratthreshold ( )
Date: July 13, 2018 10:06AM

As a British Army Veteran I have always had a cynical streak where the rules of Mormonism are concerned.My rabidly molly mormon wife(NOW EX.) had the great idea of us both taking some classes at B.Y.U. where I discovered the so called "honour" code was anything but,the final straw was when some Army friends came to visit and see how my wounds were healing,bringing a few beers with them .The sanctimonious little ='"!returned missionary in the next flat not only hot footed it to the code office to report our deviant and sacriligous behaviour but stuck a note through the door telling us how he did it for our own good. Sequal to this in a very strange twist of fate he was found a few days later covered in coffee liquer and tobacco ash naked and hog tied with a very large sex toy gaffa taped between his hands. I like to think he learnt the true meaning of Brotherhood but doubt it. Good news now I am living in sin with a great girl ,got a degree from a proper university,and am back in the U.K.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.