Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 04:18PM

https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/07/when-one-spouse-loses-their-faith-but-the-other-keeps-believing-and-more-advice-from-dear-prudence.html

Q. Changing religions: After some traumatic events, I’ve chosen to distance myself from my religion. However, my husband is very religious, and when we got married he expected us to always share a faith tradition. I don’t blame him, I did too—but after my experiences, I’ve changed.

I have no idea how to talk to him about it without it turning into him accusing me of being misleading and heading down a bad path. I also feel like no matter how I try to tell him that I totally support him continuing to be religious, and whether or not I continue to attend services, he’ll still feel like I’m insulting him and his faith. Our relationship is so great—until we discuss religion. Now I’m kind of stuck pretending I’m a believer. It feels dishonest, but I feel trapped.

A: I can understand your trepidation, but I think even painful disagreement will be an improvement over keeping silent and feeling trapped. Yes, when the two of you married you shared a religious faith, but we don’t commit ourselves to never changing for the rest of our lives based on who we were on our wedding day. You haven’t betrayed your vows by following the dictates of your own conscience, so even if your husband is personally hurt over your convictions—don’t feel like you’ve wronged him in any way by being honest with yourself and with him.

Maybe he will lob baseless accusations at you, maybe he’ll decide you’re insulting his faith no matter how supportive you remain of his religious observance, maybe he’ll surprise you and rise to the occasion, but you can’t forestall this confrontation indefinitely by forcing yourself to pretend something you no longer believe. If you don’t already have someone you can talk to about this, preferably someone who is not a member of your former religious faith, I hope you’ll seek out a secular counselor or non-religious friend who can offer support and counsel as you try to share this with your husband.

You and your husband don’t have to hammer out every single detail of the differences between your respective worldviews tomorrow—you can certainly set limits on how often and in what fashion you discuss religion—but I think you’ll feel enormous relief, even if the first conversation goes quite badly, once you’ve been honest with him. You say you don’t know how to talk to him about it, and I think you should lead with all the reasons you’ve been afraid to speak to him. Share your fears that he’d accuse you of misleading him, that you’re worried he won’t think your support of his faith is genuine, and that you don’t want this to get between the two of you. I can’t promise that everything is going to work out, but I sincerely believe that you’re doing the right thing and deserve the chance to be honest about your beliefs with your husband. Pretending sounds exhausting.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 04:44PM

"...but we don’t commit ourselves to never changing for the rest of our lives based on who we were on our wedding day. You haven’t betrayed your vows by following the dictates of your own conscience..."

Prudence clearly doesn't know mormon "vows." :(

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 11, 2018 01:59PM

^^^^^

Exactly!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 11, 2018 12:38AM

What else is the wife faking ?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 11, 2018 01:11AM

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: July 11, 2018 02:09AM

"but we don’t commit ourselves to never changing for the rest of our lives based on who we were on our wedding day."

This reminds me of the old saying: She hopes he'll change but he doesn't. He hopes she'll never change but she does.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 11, 2018 02:23AM

Posted by: Anon 3 ( )
Date: July 11, 2018 07:21PM

Wives fake so many things, so very many things. Its how men have continued life for sooooo long. Passive agressiveness over garbage. There is a honeydo list but never a hey babe list. What kind of life would one have if women didnt fake men were the heads of religion.

It is like the saying in our family. Men stay in the livingroom to discuss religion while women stay in the kitchen to discuss theology.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.