Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 12, 2018 09:35PM

My last time was at my granddaughter's wedding, last August, so almost a year. I think the last time before that was in 2012, attending my youngest son's college graduation...

This came to mind watching the local news. A SoCal politician was featured because he is advocating a rule that forbids businesses from mandating that their male employees wear ties.

Unfortunately, his argument is based on a supposed fact: that neckties restrict the flow of blood to the brain... Meaning that clip-on ties could still be mandated.

Could Western Civilization survive the demise of the necktie? Could the church? ...Could you!!?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: July 12, 2018 09:45PM

I have some whimsical ties that I wear occasionally if we have to be more formal when playing at a gig. I refuse to wear a white shirt. Since I lead the band, wearing a white shirt as a uniform standard is never even considered. It is nice to have colors. Orchestra gigs are usually all black. I wore a traditional tie this winter at a funeral. There are ties in the closet that probably should be thrown away. It is good to be retired.

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: July 12, 2018 11:39PM

Roger that. I also play in a band. Just had a wedding gig last Sunday...wore a tie.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 12, 2018 10:33PM

Last August for a funeral.

5 years before that at a job interview.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 12, 2018 10:42PM

Removed.

I don't want a bad joke to precede Humberto's tragic post.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2018 12:00AM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: July 12, 2018 10:53PM

At my ex brother-in-law's funeral a little over a year ago. He shot himself the day after he held my sister hostage and raped her for many hours at gunpoint. I wore a suit, but didn't shed a tear. Fuck that guy.

Posted by: captainklutz ( )
Date: July 13, 2018 12:54AM

That's a funeral you go to just to make sure the SOB is in the box. Too bad he took the easy way out. I'm sure they would have loved him in prison.

Hopefully your sister is doing OK. I cannot even imagine her trauma.

Date: July 13, 2018 12:57AM

Edited to remove...it posted in the wrong place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2018 12:58AM by captainklutz.

Posted by: verdacht ( )
Date: July 12, 2018 10:54PM

A few times a week. Crazy I guess, but I like them. I own some pretty unusual ones, crazy abstract prints, neon colors, and conservative ones.

At least this makes me easy to buy for.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: July 13, 2018 12:01AM

job interview for a professional career;

Bow Tie, it makes me look like a professor!

Date: July 13, 2018 12:59AM

I last wore one on a cruise in April thru the Panama Canal.

It's a wonderful black tie that has some white "commas" now and again and then at the bottom has the orange and white parts of Daffy Duck. Daffy is hidden when the jacket is buttoned and gets a great reaction when he's visible.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 13, 2018 01:07AM

My wife's funeral last October.

Date: July 18, 2018 11:03AM

Thank you. Getting better though. Was 9 months ago yesterday that she passed. Getting on with my life is harder than I thought it would be but I'm doing it. I hear a piece of music or watch something on TV that tugs at my heart and the tears flow...and that's good. Gotta cry when you can.

Date: July 18, 2018 11:06AM

On the odd occasion that I do dress up it always with my black long sleeve shirt and dark grey tie...and especially when the funeral is in an LDS chapel. Black is my "fuck you" color the white shirt crowd.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 13, 2018 01:51AM

I'm at a loss as to how men don't feel like they are strangling themselves when wearing neckties. They look nice for certain occasions, but I would like to see western culture move past that fashion.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: July 13, 2018 03:43AM

I hate neckties because I was forced to wear one every day between the ages of 4 and 18 as part of stupid school uniforms.

The last time I wore one was for my son's wedding in 2013.

Tom in Paris

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: July 13, 2018 08:54AM

By the time I moved back to Utah in 2015, I was pretty much done with ties, after my 17 years in Las Vegas and not once in a mormon church. I didn't have to wear one often and one time, when I went to a wedding reception(not the mormon kind where they all wear the church clothes), I went in a sport coat/semi-dressy shirt and tie and I was virtually the only guy wearing a tie, except the groom and his party. And I was overdressed.

I got back to Utah in 2015 and after a few months, decided to get a part time job. And for some reason, couldn't find the ties I thought I had.

So where did I go to buy one? That's right, the DI (6 blocks away here in my ghetto) and I paid $2.00 for a blue and gray striped tie to go with my blue shirt and got the job on the spot.

I've been to 3 funerals in 3 years, one for my almost 90 year old cousin, full-on mormon and I didn't wear a tie. It was about half and half there.

The others were semi-mormon and the only guys wearing a tie were the bishopric of the ward where my niece by marriage and her family lived in and she died in. Her sons wore ties but her husband didn't.

Then I went to one this last winter, and wore the same tie out of respect to my friend from Las Vegas, whose dad died at age 73, and he had remarried an active widow from Idaho (I’d met him once). This was in Bountiful, UT where ties are worn in almost every place you go, by city rules, I think. My friend isn’t active and didn’t wear a tie!

But a couple of months before that, I went to a skating competition for my 14 year old granddaughter on a Saturday morning(the Bountiful City skating rink is about 6 blocks from the church) and was surprised how many men were in suits and ties. I figured maybe they all had to go to a funeral later?

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: July 13, 2018 09:21AM

Every day at work as part of my uniform. But as soon as I get to the flight deck it is off and only comes back on after landing and I have to face the passengers again. But we have a clip-on option, so I make use of that.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 13, 2018 09:23AM

I honestly can't remember. It's been at least 10 years.
And I'm oh so happy about that :)

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 17, 2018 12:38PM

I'm almost as bad with dresses. Getting to the point that I can't stand even thinking about wearing one. All my work clothes are business casual and that means pants/suits for me.

I bought a dress once each year for the past 3 years to wear to nephews/neices' weddings. It was kind of fun shopping for them and I run across them and a few other dresses I used to like in my closet from time to time and think "I should wear that." But I, so far, have never had the "I'll wear a dress to this" desire hit me. It's such a mind block after so many years of being told that having a seam between my legs as the men do makes me less of a woman.

Oh, I forget, I went to a missionary farewell, and 18 months later to the homecoming for same girl. Wore a dress then. I may be in a Mo church sometime in August and will have to pull something out for that. Thanks for reminding me, I need to start thinking about that.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: July 13, 2018 09:28AM

I had s principal who loved ties. His ties always had fun prints. I don't know how you men stand ties. They look too much like some kind of a flashy noose.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 13, 2018 11:42AM

Last Sunday

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 13, 2018 01:26PM

Does anyone have any notions regarding the kinds of changes it would take to get the church to be okay with men not wearing ties, even to give conference talks?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 16, 2018 11:54AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone have any notions regarding the kinds
> of changes it would take to get the church to be
> okay with men not wearing ties, even to give
> conference talks?

Just have one GA do it.

The trend would then sweep through the ranks like wildfire.

They're great at copying the lard's anointed, after all :)

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 01:04AM

Yup

Just like Monsoon and his Pepsi.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 11:50AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone have any notions regarding the kinds
> of changes it would take to get the church to be
> okay with men not wearing ties, even to give
> conference talks?

Oh, it would have to be a big hairy revelation! Maybe a big announcement: An angel with a flaming sword appeared to me. He said in a powerful voice, " You don't have to wear neckties anymore." Some kind of drama or s*** like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2018 11:50AM by Aquarius123.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: July 13, 2018 05:26PM

Last November at a funeral and five years before that at a wedding. Also the last two times I wore a jacket.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: July 16, 2018 11:42AM

24 years ago, at my father's funeral.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 17, 2018 03:03PM

Actually, I'm wearing one in a show right now. The funny part is that it's a clip-on but the shirt has a standup collar.

I guess it's an in-joke between me and the costumer because no else has even noticed....

Posted by: blind mule ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 10:55AM

I guess I am old school. I used "dress for success" as my bible in the 70's. It seems that politicians and higher ups take their ties off and role their sleeves up for media shots to show that they are the working man type getting jobs done. I wear conservative colored ties. I also wear long sleeve shirts summer/winter.
I think today wearing a tie is not as relevant as it was for the 70's. what with a lot of tech companies. in the 50's a dress hat used to be a thing as well. Lets see what the next 10-20 years bring.

Posted by: hgc 2 ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 12:12PM

I wore one to a nephew's wedding reception about a year ago. I have about a dozen hanging in the back of a closet that I just can't seem to get rid of, but will never wear.

I'm in a community choir and we had a concert a few weeks ago where we wore ascots. They were terrible. Would have preferred a tie.

Ties did keep my lunch off my shirt.

Posted by: pogie ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 01:42PM

almost everyday for work. However I hate white shirts I only have a few white shirts and only put them on when the big bosses are in town. I kind of like a tie I know I'm the odd man

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.