Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: July 15, 2018 01:21PM

When grandma, grandpa, mom, dad, uncles and aunts hear the latest generation (iGen) kids being called "the chosen generation for the last days" just as they were in their youth, don't they think it sounds a bit over worked? Mormon kids have been told this for many, many generations now. And the gathering for the last days has been imminent since Joseph Smith first spouted this doctrine.

Isn't it getting a bit tired and over done? Get a clue people!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 15, 2018 01:29PM

When each new generation hears that previous generations were also told that they were the elect, chosen generation that was held out until the last days, it's a bit like finding out that Santa Claus isn't real.

Date: July 15, 2018 01:39PM

Santa Claus is still more real because he keeps coming every Christmas. But if you had to keep telling your kids to keep believing in Santa even though he didn't come this Christmas or last Christmas, what would your kids think? Just keep hoping? He'll come NEXT Christmas! Don't you think your kids, grand kids and great grand kids would tell you to jump in a lake?

What's with these stupid Mormon kids? Do they really believe they are more special than all the kids that came before them?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 15, 2018 02:10PM

The deep need to feel special apparently supplants the not very deep need to face the facts. For Mormons this goes triple.

When I was told in the fifties that I was the chosen generation I didn't get that excited. Seemed like more pressure and I already had enough from the extreme TBM family. Didn't want to ratchet it up any more.

The increase in Mormon gullibility these days is truly exponential. Believing the unbelievable is nearly an olympic event. Chosen generation to usher in the last days! Pffft.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 15, 2018 02:19PM

But these are the last days - for the church. TSCC is going down the toilet.

So how do you like being “the chosen generation” now?

Date: July 17, 2018 03:05AM

Good point! They get to be the generation that leads tscc into oblivion. My generation was at least, sorry to say, the generation of peak membership and conversions. I didn't have much to do with that but the LDS ship wasn't sinking as it is today.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 15, 2018 02:41PM

Since the Diaspora, Jews living outside the Holy Land have at every Passover toasted the prospect, "Next year in Jerusalem!"

I'm sure the majority were aware that short a really fantastic miracle, it was not going to happen. But they continue to make that toast, and mean it, if only as a generalized principle, meaning, yeah, all the Jews should go back to Israel, 'cept me, because I really got it good there and can you imagine the congestion, and I don't tolerate the heat so good...

So maybe mormons have learned to accept this attitude. The mormons say 'this is the last generation!' They mean it, but only as a toast, which they don't necessarily think is going to happen, because hand-carting it back to Rev. Jesse Jackson, Missouri without toilet paper...!! NO!!!

Posted by: badam2 ( )
Date: July 15, 2018 02:55PM

I remember being chosen in the 1990's. They never specified what we were chosen for if you noticed.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: July 16, 2018 11:15PM

Chosen to clean toilets in mormon church buildings. They waited until the last days, when the most elect of god's most valiant of children were born before they sprung that one on us. So you better start scrubbing since Jesus could show up at any moment now and he'll be pissed if his house is dirty.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: July 16, 2018 11:19PM

One of the signs that a religion is a cult is that they claim that these are the last days. Even in the new testament, the people believed that they lived in the last days.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: July 15, 2018 05:34PM

If this generation or the previous generation or the one before was the chosen generation, why hasn't the profit the twelve, the seventy started their trek to Missouri?

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: July 15, 2018 06:01PM

I remember learning that we, the younger Baby Boomers that came up in the 70's, were the Chosen Generation in 1979! Ezra Taft Benson said so. A convert, I had no idea that this had been taught to every up and coming generation since the church began. Being far from Utah, I knew nothing about ET Benson's very far right status and had no reason to doubt that this very chosen "prophet" knew what he was talking about.

I was sure that Jesus would be coming in my time. I really believed that in my thirties, I would be moving to Missouri to help build Zion. If not, then surely in my forties...

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 15, 2018 06:20PM

But David McKay said the same thing to us in the 60s!

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: July 16, 2018 12:01AM

I've heard TBMs say the word 'generation(s) has different meanings.

Yup, that's Mormonism:

Keep things Totally Ambiguous!!

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 16, 2018 11:44AM

GNPE1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've heard TBMs say the word 'generation(s) has
> different meanings.
>
> Yup, that's Mormonism:
>
> Keep things Totally Ambiguous!!

The term "generation" in Mormonism became ambiguous when the
temple in Indepedence Missouri hadn't been built for a long
time. In the early days they said it would happen very soon
because the Prophet Joseph Smith had been told by God himself
that,

"4 Verily this is the word of the Lord, that the city New
Jerusalem shall be built by the gathering of the saints,
beginning at this place, even the place of the temple, which
temple shall be reared in this generation.

"5 For verily this generation shall not all pass away until an
house shall be built unto the Lord, and a cloud shall rest upon
it, which cloud shall be even the glory of the Lord, which shall
fill the house."
--D&C 84:4-5

This "revelation" was given in 1832. That's 186 years ago.

In the late 1800s the D&C had a footnote to the word
"generation" in verse 5. It said, "a generation does not all
pass away in a hundred years."

https://books.google.com/books?id=sgsDAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA289#v=onepage&q&f=false

scroll down to footnote f.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: July 16, 2018 12:07PM

When you consider the age of so many characters in the bible, we are still well within the generational span of say...a Noah or a Shem. I'm sure that's what was being referenced in the revelation.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 16, 2018 09:31AM

Mormonism. Keeping it dumb since 1830.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.