Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 17, 2018 09:59PM

The sneaky Jehovah Witnesses came to my door while I was away today, and placed a flyer on my mailbox. This is after TWO times I have told the buggers to stay away and they are not welcome here.

They consistently say they aren't soliciting. I tell them they are. What don't they understand?

Now in plain English it will be on my door: they are not welcome.

It pains me to muck up my door with this signage. But not as much as having them trespassing on my property. I wish there was a law against them doing this. Damn, damn, and damn.

I consider their behavior borderline harassment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2018 10:16PM by Amyjo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 17, 2018 10:21PM

“I consider their behavior borderline harassment.”

I agree, but I’d remove the word “borderline.”

Date: July 18, 2018 04:46AM

I agree. They are the only missionaries tracting in our area, and they don't take no for an answer. That makes them obnoxious.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 17, 2018 10:24PM

Take it as a compliment! They think you're worth saving!

Date: July 18, 2018 04:45AM

I think I'm worth saving too, which is why I want them to go away.

:)

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: July 17, 2018 11:58PM

The JWs are very superstitious.

Tell them you are currently being 'shunned' or disfellowshipped and they will assume you are one of them in bad standing. They will trip over themselves getting off your porch.

If you want to play with them tell them you remember when the top of the tower on their Watchtower magazine had the pyramid power of the 'all seeing eye' on it. Also tell them you know their founder was buried under a pyramid and you'd like them to tell you more about pyramid power.

To truly freak them out, tell them you want a piece of their hair so you can make a doll for a full moon ritual and invoke a blessing for them.

To really cap it off; bear strong testimony that you KNOW God has confirmed that you are one of the 144,000 and have been granted full access to heaven when you die!

Date: July 18, 2018 04:44AM

LOLOL. Those are some good ideas.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 12:16AM

I kinda like the missionaries, but, I still may paint this sign:

I'LL READ THE BOOK of MORMON
IF YOU'LL READ "MASSACRE at MOUNTAIN MEADOWS"
Have a nice day.

Oh, wait, you're talking about JWs. Hmmmmmm. They're almost impermeable. They honestly believe that if they are rejected here on earth, they get their own planet... (Uh, oh. I'm mixed up again.)

Anyway, what about this?

DONATE BLOOD
IT SAVES LIVES
(We'll have you in and out quickly!)

Or simply:

BIRTHDAY PARTY IN PROGRESS

Or,

Have one of those animated things that:

TO ACTIVATE DOORBELL
SHAKE SANTA'S HAND.

Date: July 18, 2018 04:42AM

:D :D :D :D

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 06:46AM

"I wish there was a law against them doing this (trespassing)." going along with this topic, I wish there was a law against harassing strangers on the phone. I get at least 2 callers a day on my cell and the landline goes off at least every hour. It's soooo annoying! These businesses never leave a message, so I don't even answer.

I guess I should change my number, but who wants to do that?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 07:29AM

Do what I did! I blocked all, that's right, ALL!!, incoming calls except for the numbers of those people I either love or play golf with.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 09:43AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do what I did! I blocked all, that's right,
> ALL!!, incoming calls except for the numbers of
> those people I either love or play golf with.

Since last time I called, I got through...I hope I'm in both of those categories :)

Date: July 18, 2018 07:36AM

If you haven't already, sign up for Nomorobo.com. It's free for your landline. $1.99 a month for cell phones.

My cell phone service provider doesn't have nomorobo, instead it has its own blocking device for spam calls and voice over IP callers. Nomorobo blocks & filters the VOIP calls that are frequently used by con artists. My cable company has that, so I've signed up for it on my landline.

The phone rings one time before the call gets dropped via nomorobo. It's a very good feature to have at no extra cost.

Posted by: NeverMoMimi ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 11:43AM

Go to nomorobo.com and sign up. It's free, and it will drastically cut back on these phone calls.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 11:52AM

I’m just here to see you cuss.

Date: July 19, 2018 10:36AM

Well I didn't exactly blow a gasket, but it is annoying as all getup.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 12:27PM

I have a simple solution to these door knockers.

Door bell rings
Open the door
It is them again
"Great! Welcome We are just about to start the sex orgy.
come in and get naked."
THEY WON'T BE BACK!! EVER!!!

Date: July 18, 2018 12:29PM

Things could get much worse if they came in and stripped.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 09:28PM

Our local JW congregation seems to have a blacklist which I managed to get on somehow. On the rare occasions when I'm outside when they are proselytizing homes on my street, they will lock eyes with me, adopt a frozen smile, and studiously skip my house.

Last time was about 18 months ago, when I locked eyes with an attractive, well-dressed Korean woman in the JW scrum. She gave me an odd smile, but didn't approach.

Thoughts of hormonal conversion _did_ flit across my mind, but: been there, done that. :)

Posted by: badam2 ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 01:44AM

There are a ton of signs on my door now. They have been effective for the most part. 'No soliciting' barely stops anybody.

Date: July 19, 2018 10:38AM

Despite my telling those damn buggers that "no soliciting" means the same thing to me as no proselytizing, they are unfazed. It may even make them more determined to continue to harangue me.

That is NOT brotherly love, when they don't know how to take no for an answer.

Date: July 19, 2018 03:04AM

My relative cautions me to not cuss in the presence of his JW compatriots.

(He's the guy who was kicked off the Fresno Varsity Football Team for his foul mouth.)

Nothin' like a reformed sinner !

Date: July 19, 2018 10:41AM

Hmm, if they are offended by cussing, then it is worth a try to send them running. My parents could cuss like sailors, even during their most TBM years.

Sign me up!

Something like, "Get the f*ck off my lawn, and don't you bleeping bastards ever come back," might work. Even my dad who was a seasoned cusser, hated the f word. That's the one word he refused to use.

It just might fly like a bomb.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 11:07AM

How about:

"Our Rottweiler sank his teeth into the last mormon missionaries who set foot on the premises."

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 20, 2018 05:16PM

You call that mild cussing? :P

It's verged a bit from the OP.

Re pleading for relief: Maybe you can try to get away from wrangling over the words and what they mean to you vs to them. Forget soliciting or proselytizing.

If things haven't changed too much since I was similarly annoying people (as a JW teen dragging along after the adults teaching me to save the world) they don't consider themselves to be soliciting, as we've said a few quadrillion times. Likewise, they're not strictly proselytizing, in their world, either. Rather, they are looking for "lost sheep". The focus the last I knew was on skipping the arguing, debating, proselytizing approach and only on finding those of a "like mind" who are openly and quickly receptive to the message. This mindset hastens and intensifies the closer to Armageddon they think we are (very close indeed at this point!).

Theoretically, if a non-JW is obviously disinterested the JWs should just move on as you are not a lost sheep. Many may have missed the message though or maybe it's changed and I wasn't sent the memo, haha.

Here's what I would try:

1. State firmly but quietly/politely/non-confrontationally (they may react to that and keep on trying to persuade; if you're quiet and firm many will accept that and walk away): No, thank you. (Don't even say "I'm not interested" as they think that you just don't know that you ARE interested and they may try to keep talking to you).

In this case, you don't even mention the words proselytize or soliciting, which they completely do not apply to themselves so they do not take it as a message to them to stay away. Rather they will say, to you if they get a chance, or to each other on their way out, "we're not soliciting" (as you know).

2. Try saying "I'm Jewish". Seems a pretty slam-dunk situation of someone who is not open to persuasion into an off-label Christian group. (However, they, like LDS, do include a lot of emphasis on OT Jewish stuff, especially in their yearly conferences where even the narrators of the play or film they present have Jewish accents - no offence - I mean maybe they had one old guy with a Mid-East Jewish accent that was the voice of God in the presentation - he sounded pretty darn good). So this too could be a crap shoot as to how it would go.

The implication to me of the "I'm Jewish" comment is that it means you are so very highly likely to be completely not interested that they may as well keep on moving away. And perhaps not coming back for a while.

Don't say "I'm not interested" - that's their clue to keep on trying to persuade you ("they just don't KNOW they're interested).

Don't say "I have my own religion" - they think you can always change your mind when you've heard their message.

Understand that to them the most important thing is for THEM to be out there following the commandment to "preach to all the nations". There is a smaller element for many who really do want to try and "save" folks. So they ain't gonna stop. It's a commandment for them to "preach to all nations".

The other mindset thing they have going on is that people are always moving. So even if you ream them out one time they will say to each other the next that you could have moved and maybe there's a lost sheep in your old place now. So yes, they will keep coming.

The best advice I can say is to save your own sanity by trying not to get too upset about it. (Easier said than done, I know).

Maybe I'm spoiled up here in Western Canada. They only knock now when they want to give you a leaflet announcing their upcoming conferences (2/yr) and one at Christmas and Easter (ironic as they decidedly celebrate neither - observe, yes - celebrate, no). I only see them on the street now with their literature racks. Most don't even try to engage with passersby any more. Maybe they think it's important to be visible but engaging in discussion may be of lesser concern to them at this point.

I do understand it's irritating (to put it mildly). Even I, who's been there, dun that, ask with exasperation why they must always be so highly visible (with their mag racks) on two of my favourite streets in two different towns. Sometimes I do say hello but even then they don't engage. That is a lot less in-your-face than we were taught to be back in the day. An easier assignment, iow. That also irks me, ha. (As in hey, how come they get off so lightly? Plum deal just sitting chatting to each other. We were strongly 'encouraged' to engage people. I didn't like it at all).

Anyway, return and report if you solve it. Others, I'm sure, would be happy to know how you managed it.

Date: July 21, 2018 04:40PM

The reason I won't or haven't told them what my religion is, is because I don't feel it is any of their business. My religion is personal. Except for here on RfM, where it's discussed openly because it's a place where I choose to do that at times. It is not something I am comfortable sharing with complete strangers on my doorstep, no matter what reason they show up there for.

I'm a fairly private person. Which is why I detest strangers soliciting at my door for any reason. I consider it an invasion of privacy when people don't respect other people's boundaries. There is nothing I really have to say to them when they come to my door other than they aren't welcome. I'm at a loss as to why they are so thick skulled they continue to after being told directly and verbally not to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2018 04:50PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 21, 2018 05:31PM

Because it's their religious belief. Many people of faith at least get how that goes.

As a nurse I plannned an entire care routine to assist Jewish Orthodox pts in observing Sabbath. Challenging. Like food. Time. Light switches at sundown. Not my beliefs but I could relate.

I know it's not the same thing. I don't like strangers at my door either.

Maybe try asking to be put on the do not contact list. Using their language may work. Only for a yr tho.

I said I'm disfellowshipped. They left pronto. No further visits. But maybe you don't want to lie.

Date: July 21, 2018 09:51PM

I want no contact with them at all.

Someone has mentioned before they contacted their local JW office and complained. I may do that if they continue to come to my door. I owe them no duty.

Being civil doesn't cut it with them.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 11:00AM

kathleen Wrote:
> My relative cautions me to not cuss in the
> presence of his JW compatriots.
>
> (He's the guy who was kicked off the Fresno
> Varsity Football Team for his foul mouth.)
>
>
>
>
> Nothin' like a reformed sinner !

What Fresno varsity football team, Kathleen? freno State? Fresno City? fresno High? I'm highly curious. There didn't seem to be a shortage of foul language when I lived in Fresno twenty-something years ago.

Date: July 19, 2018 10:39PM

High School. I was trying to not identify our actual school, since we still live in proximity.

This was 50+ years ago.

To his credit (and despite his foul mouth), he was voted Best-Looking Guy in that school for all four years.

Now, my sister and I call him “Tall, Fat, and Handsome.” And, despite all the girls who befriended us just for the chance to stare at him—-the flamboyant cusser, now pillar of the Kingdom Hall—-he’s still a favorite relative.

What’s not to love?

:D

Date: July 19, 2018 10:49PM

One of my Mormon relatives converted to JW as a younger man. It saved him at the time from drug abuse and alcoholism. It was a step-up for him from Mormonism.

He was a fine artist and musician. He sold oil paintings in Jackson Hole, Wyoming for a time that were landscape scenes. He was extremely talented. But the alcohol gene runs in our Mormon family. His dad, my dad, and their brothers were all alcoholics. Not the sisters, only the brothers. Makes me think there is a genetic link there.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: July 23, 2018 02:03AM

You're trying to remain semi-anonymous. Got it. Probably one of the six local high schools at the time unless it was in Clovis.
kathleen Wrote:
> High School. I was trying to not identify our
> actual school, since we still live in proximity.
>
> This was 50+ years ago.
>
> To his credit (and despite his foul mouth), he was
> voted Best-Looking Guy in that school for all four
> years.
>
> Now, my sister and I call him “Tall, Fat, and
> Handsome.” And, despite all the girls who
> befriended us just for the chance to stare at
> him—-the flamboyant cusser, now pillar of the
> Kingdom Hall—-he’s still a favorite relative.
>
>
> What’s not to love?
>
> :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2018 02:05AM by scmd1.

Date: July 23, 2018 03:10AM

Thanks SCMD1,

This relative was a "swearing good man."

Just wish he could quit the cult that he's in. There's so much bragging over him in my heart--a hero and champion in so many ways. But, that's for another thread.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2018 03:19AM by kathleen.

Date: July 23, 2018 05:25AM

He may get there yet. My Mo cousin who converted to JW to help him deal with alcoholism, finally got to the point where he parted ways with JW. Perhaps after being in two cults, instead of just one, it cured him for good from being in any. He made peace and found religion on his terms.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: July 21, 2018 02:54PM

What about a mezuzah on your doorpost? Of course, they probably wouldn’t notice it , or know what it is. Get one with Hebrew letters and the Star of David; they’d to know what those mean.
The other suggestions are good too, regarding the American flag and stickers/ signs supporting the military.

Date: July 21, 2018 04:34PM

There's a mezuzah on each of my doorposts. They are unobservable to visitors however, because of the storm door separating them from the inner door.

Even if they knew what they meant and recognized it, I doubt it would deter them. Am not even sure the no proselytizing sign will do the trick. If it doesn't I shall be pissing mad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2018 04:47PM by Amyjo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.