Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 21, 2018 07:48PM

Three bedrooms, two bathrooms (the second story, in the interior shots in the TV series, was constructed on a studio sound stage, and does not exist in the actual house pictured in the exterior shots in the series).

Asking price: $1,885,000. (The current owners bought the property in 1973 for $61,000.) Lot size is over 12,500 square feet.

The present owners are looking specifically for buyer(s) who want to preserve the house (rather than tear it down in order to rebuild several new residences on the existing property).

http://ktla.com/2018/07/18/iconic-brady-bunch-house-goes-on-the-market-after-nearly-50-years/

EDITED TO ADD: Studio City is one of the many, legally recognized, legally designated (with named boundaries) "communities" which make up most of the City of Los Angeles. It is located in the eastern San Fernando Valley (most, but not all, of the SFV is part of the City of Los Angeles), and was named after the many film/TV/recording studios in the immediate area. If you have a map of the Valley, go east on Ventura Blvd. until you ALMOST get to the Cahuenga Pass area (if you get to Universal Studios, you have gone too far).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2018 08:38PM by Tevai.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 21, 2018 09:43PM

What I find most amazing is how much the property values ballooned since 1973.

Talk about sitting on a nest egg!

Date: July 21, 2018 10:19PM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What I find most amazing is how much the property
> values ballooned since 1973.
>
> Talk about sitting on a nest egg!

I think most all of us who grew up in the Valley are frequently astounded (and sometimes horrified) by the current values of the houses we grew up in (including lots and lots of absolutely average, absolutely American middle-class, sort-of-smallish houses--many or most of which were built by the hand-labor of their first owners).

I just looked up the house I grew up in (two bedroom, two bath, sort of two-and-a-half stories, on one of the all-time incredible hilltop lots in the Valley). My parents took out a $6,000 construction loan (includes the purchase price of lot, plus construction materials), and the current estimated value of the (0.23 acre property) residence is $896,800.

Since when I lived there we had no heat (heat was not installed until sometime around the time my sister got married, which was about ten years after I left the house when I got married), and construction was on-going for all the time I lived there, I am shaking my head.

:)

Date: July 21, 2018 11:26PM

As a kid I identified more with Marcia and Jan of the Brady Bunch. Today it's more with Alice. Never really id'd with the parents all that much. But they were cool.

Hope the house can be preserved. It is a part of Americana.

Posted by: Old Name Levi ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 01:36AM

Amyjo Wrote:
> What I find most amazing is how much the property
> values ballooned since 1973.
>
> Talk about sitting on a nest egg!

Eve Plumb recently sold her house in Malibu that she had purchased in 1969 (when she was 11) for $55,300. The closing price was $3.9 million.

Date: July 22, 2018 01:59AM

Old Name Levi Wrote:
> Eve Plumb recently sold her house in Malibu that
> she had purchased in 1969 (when she was 11) for
> $55,300. The closing price was $3.9 million.

This makes sense for Malibu, because the residential land available there is severely restricted (there is basically no room for expansion).

I am glad for Eve Plumb, and I wonder about whoever bought her property (because I, personally, would be concerned about rising sea levels).

Maybe the purchaser isn't concerned about the macro issues, or maybe they are planning to flip the house for financial profit.

In any case, Eve Plumb's childhood investment paid off well for her, and this is a positive good.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 05:11AM

I saw that home on FB. Its value was largely due to the fact that the property was on a beach in Malibu. The house itself wasnt anything resembling luxurious.

Date: July 22, 2018 12:30PM

bona dea Wrote:
> I saw that home on FB. Its value was largely due
> to the fact that the property was on a beach in
> Malibu. The house itself wasnt anything resembling
> luxurious.

I went to school with someone whose family, in addition to their regular residence in the Valley, had a "beach house" on the literal beach which is sort of near Topanga Canyon Blvd. and borders Malibu to the north. (The waves, after they broke, flowed underneath the house before the water returned to the ocean.)

The house itself was basically a rundown shack (I think it had been built, somewhere in the early 1900s, as the weekend beach getaway of one of the silent film stars). When I was there, it was definitely not what anyone would think of as a "movie star home."

I assume that that property, right now and just as land value, is probably in the $3-$4 million dollar range. (The house I visited when I was growing up was torn down more than a couple of decades ago, and I haven't been by that particular lot in a very long time).

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 02:37PM

I think Seattle is the new Bay Area. Good place for a kid to get into.

Date: July 22, 2018 04:57AM

My aunt and uncle bought their bungalow ranch in Silicon Valley, 1960's, for $17,000. In 1986 they sold it for close to a million. Then purchased a different home, same town built during the same era, and completely renovated it - in the same price range.

Today that property is easily worth close to 2 million. It's a small home, in some really pricey urban chopping block.

Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 05:03AM

Sounds neat but I wonder if anyone who can afford it would want to put up with constant tourists driving past at all hours of the day and night to snap photos and otherwise be annoying. Or some crazed Bradyhead trying to break in while screaming "Cousin Oliver ruined the show!!" lol

Date: July 22, 2018 05:12AM

The biggest shock for me was after the series ended, learning the dad was actually gay. He couldn't be open about it when the show aired. His tv family knew all along, just no one else.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 02:24PM

The news mentioned that the interior is completely different from what was on TV. It was filmed in a stage studio. So who ever buys it will be under nagging influence to not changing anything even though the house is likely falling apart after 50 years. Not a good investment in my book.

Date: July 22, 2018 02:32PM

anono this week Wrote:
> The news mentioned that the interior is completely
> different from what was on TV. It was filmed in a
> stage studio.

True.

> So who ever buys it will be under
> nagging influence to not changing anything even
> though the house is likely falling apart after 50
> years.

Not if it has been maintained well, and since it is listed in the various "Guide Books to [Inside] Hollywood" and has been a tourist attraction going back to when the series was actually being filmed, the chances are good that the maintenance has been excellent.

> Not a good investment in my book.

You are forgetting the value of the underlying land. The way new, upscale housing is being constructed in the Valley today, they could put three, separate, multi-million dollar homes on that lot and the developers, as well as the new homeowners, would all do extremely well financially. This is what the present owners are trying to prevent happening (and I deeply hope they are successful).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.