Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 23, 2018 03:08PM

I've never understood it. What about Mormonism do/did you find attractive? My list is very short.

built in social networking
network of help
sense of community

These are huge but they just cost too much. Mormonism is so much like a totalitarian regime than it is a personally uplifting and touching religious philosophy.

It seems if you to wanted to change Mormonism for the better one would have to be willing to sacrifice their personal seeking for self fulfilment in order to serve the community of believers be less worse than they are. Lose thyself to save thyself?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2018 03:08PM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 23, 2018 06:06PM

I guess it is "growing" so this makes it attractive as a movement to be a part of?

https://ldsfacts.net/growmenu/

I do find it interesting that in 30 years the number of missionaries doubles and their average baptism per missionary halves.

https://ldsfacts.net/growth14/

Is that really significant growth?

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: July 23, 2018 06:55PM

For me ... start with a shitty home life. Be put down by your parents and blamed for everything going on in the home. Be made to feel that all societal trends were evil and stupid. Be made to look like a clean cut kid from the 1950s because “today’s youth are wild.” Have no friends because you hate yourself so much you can’t imaging someone liking you just for whom you are. Then, throw in a charismatic father-figure you admire. Have him tell you you were special, and that you were chosen before you were born to find the one true Gospel of Christ. Mix in instant best friends, a social life you never had, family scorn, and become an important person (priest) as soon as you join the cult.

Most importantly, after about six months, Let it be known that you’ve been given a great gift that you have to prove worthy of having received. Bear your testimony, as requested, in stake conference. Start telling yourself that you’re really an unworthy fuckup not worthy of the church. Let your bishop reinforce those feelings. And, have a member of the stake presidency tell you he can tell if your doing that disgusting, nasty habit just by looking at you.

Then, read a quote from your church’s first prophet who said that a church that doesn’t require sacrifice of all things is incapable of producing faith strong enough to save.

So, I guess I was an unofficial lChange from Within” member. I realized my own self worth and flipped the bird to a cult!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2018 06:58PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 23, 2018 07:42PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Start telling yourself that you’re
> really an unworthy fuckup not worthy of the
> church. Let your bishop reinforce those feelings.
> And, have a member of the stake presidency tell
> you he can tell if your doing that disgusting,
> nasty habit just by looking at you.

To you of all people—-how dare they!!!!

How.Dare.They!!!

Wish I’d have been your older sister there!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 23, 2018 08:06PM

You have my sympathies, and some shared experiences. They can keep the machine that did nothing but chew on me.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 23, 2018 08:29PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
> Have no friends
> because you hate yourself so much you can’t
> imaging someone liking you just for whom you are.

I like you just for whom you are...:)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 23, 2018 10:36PM

BYUB says he was "made to look like a clean cut kid from the 1950s?"

. . .

. . .

Are you telling me you aren't "a clean cut kid from the 1950s?"

Date: July 24, 2018 12:02PM

You should see me now Lottie! I’m more like a silver Wookie from the 70s! I ditched the crew-cut.

Date: July 24, 2018 01:06PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
> So, I guess I was an unofficial "Change from
> Within” member. I realized my own self worth and
> flipped the bird to a cult!

I think many if not most former members held onto or still hold onto hope that LDS Corp will somehow, someway, someday improve the lives of those living under its shadow. But I think it isn't diseased but THE disease. I think of it as a cultural meme-structured pathogen. It's self preservation is the "meta theme" for this meme (like a good strong creation would have) and for it to survive its members have to suffer. If it were to change to a gentler more symbiotic meme with humanity it would cease to be.

You giving it the bird is developing an immune response to a horrible cultural creation bent on lasting an eternity with the only host it currently has and can have until we teach dolphins and elephants to talk to us.

Posted by: lazylizard ( )
Date: July 24, 2018 01:18PM

Damn Boner, that first part with the family is exactly like how I grew up, especially the family scorn and boring clean-cut look.

Problem with me being born in the church, imagine being told you're going to be a baby machine the moment you get married in the tetemple.
That a woman would rather die then to be deflowered before that "holy matrimony," either from her choice or from being raped she would rather lose her life. Being made to feel like no matter how hard you try, you can't be perfect, because no one is but Jesus... Oh, but still try to be like him or else you're going to Outer Darkness for eternity.

My God, it's manipulation for sure.
I lied a TON growing up when it came to my church dealings. At least I can say I lied with a clear conscience and no guilt or shame.

Date: July 24, 2018 09:01PM

I agree that being born into that attitude as a baby-machine to serve a man is probably worst than the crap I got. I never told my parents I left Mormonism—my wife told them. They were shocked when she told them. Privately, my parents wanted to know why I didn’t tell them. As I was a much-wiser adult who had stopped playing family collusion games I told them—you weren’t supportive of me when I joined, why would I think you’d support me when I left?

My Mom cried and apologized. This is why I recommend to parents whose kids join the Morg not to go ape-shit crazy. It’s better to discuss, talk, explore, and question together. Very best wishes LadyLizard!

Date: July 25, 2018 11:56AM

BYU Boner Wrote:
> My Mom cried and apologized. This is why I
> recommend to parents whose kids join the Morg not
> to go ape-shit crazy. It’s better to discuss,
> talk, explore, and question together.

Great advise Boner!

Date: July 23, 2018 10:19PM

Just to be clear, that was the old me I grew out of in my 30s. I love your folks for your friendship, wisdom, and support. The good news is people can overcome this shit.

Kathleen, you’d be my sexy YOUNGER sister :)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 23, 2018 10:36PM

Much younger, I'd think.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: July 24, 2018 01:37PM

That was my MAIN FOCUS all my life.

They start so young on teaching you that you can't be with your family if you aren't all going to the CK. My dad drank coffee. I'd look at the coffee jar in the cupboard at age 5 (I can still see myself doing it) and be concerned that I wouldn't have my dad with us. And it just grew from that. I had to be perfect to save the rest of them and I, FOR SURE, wasn't going to lose my husband and children. Well, we all know how that turned out.

I thought if I lived as perfect as possible, I'd never have to go through anything bad. People use my life as how you wouldn't want to live and have it turn out. I was just thinking about this last night--about how I'm still the one who failed as he isn't straight and he left and he still goes out and has sex with men, many, many men. So it is all my fault.

No, I don't believe that, although it still gets to me sometimes.

Anyway, forever family and living perfect. Those were the ONLY 2 THINGS that were holding me in, but if I really believed, then I had to buy the rest of it, didn't I?

Date: July 24, 2018 02:50PM

Did you ever want to save the organization for yourself and loved ones?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.