Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Deija ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 09:57AM

I know I shouldn’t care what people think, but I’m so paranoid about my LDS co-workers, Ward members (some who work with me and don’t know I’m mentally out of the Church), and family would think if they saw me drinking tea. I work long shifts, so I really like having some at work.

Is it easy to just pass off my green tea as herbal tea or will they be able to see through me?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 10:02AM

But you have to be willing to lie if you're questioned. Perhaps you could put it into an herbal box or jar.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 10:08AM

It's easy to imagine that the people who know you are divided into two camps:

Those who want to see you do well

And

Those who want to find fault with you so they can feel better about themselves.

The second group will automatically assume the worst about you the second they get the chance. For them it doesn't matter what's in your mug.

If you can't learn to ignore this group of people then you can't finish growing up. Don't try to be who you think they want you to be, try to be who you are.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 10:25AM

Just get an insulated mug and switch over to coffee, black coffee. Better yet, make it vodka.

If asked by any self-appointed mormon police officer, lie. They deserve nothing more, anyway.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 10:54AM

No, the easiest is not eating meat sparingly.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 05:51PM

Yeah, I got away with that one for years.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: July 29, 2018 01:40PM

I agree, just go to any ward potluck, and you'll see that it's the one pretty much everyone gets away with. Often, besides the various jello "salads" and casseroles such as funeral potatoes, there's the inevitable mountain of meat.

Posted by: 2 early 2 log in ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 11:05AM

Actually, the easiest is to not put tobacco on your sick cattle.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 05:04PM

Lol, that’s funny. I had an argument the other day over where that idea came from???

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: July 29, 2018 09:07AM

There's a good deal of evidence that tobacco is very useful for treating cattle and goats.

Google shows some reports.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2018 09:08AM by matt.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 29, 2018 01:23PM

2 early 2 log in Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually, the easiest is to not put tobacco on
> your sick cattle.

Interestingly, one of the largest cattle ranches in the world is
owned by the Mormon Church. It's in Florida. I always ask if
they also have a tobacco plantation nearby so they can obey the
Lord in taking care of their cattle.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 01:39PM

I would get a box or bin of herbal tea that would pass muster with them and put your green tea in that.

Posted by: Chica ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 02:28PM

Most Mormons think green tea is herbal. As long as it's not black or brown, they won't think it's "bad".

Posted by: Chica ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 02:29PM

Of course, some Mormons think anything called tea is "bad", herbal or not.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 02:39PM

Except for Teancum.

Posted by: No coke allowed ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 02:46PM

Years ago we had an SP that would not sign TRs if a person drank coke.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 06:15PM

No coke allowed Wrote:
> Years ago we had an SP that would not sign TRs if
> a person drank coke.

Apparently not uncommon. They were going rogue, but bishops and stake presidents can choose to sign or not to sign on a case-by-case basis.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 04:21PM

Technically all tea is "herbal"

Leaves of a plant ie herb steeped in water.

If you need a cover simply state you health care provider recommend this herb vs medication.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 06:54PM

I just had a tooth extracted, and my dentist recommended a tea bag as a poultice for the wound to help control bleeding.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 05:17PM

When I was fourteen around 1979 in Salt Lake we had a neighbor that was a hippy. She was an artist that had a pottery studio. She paid my best friend and I seventy dollars each to tear down an old shed and burn it. We were over there at seven in the morning and had it done by two. The lady paid us then gave us some iced tea. I drank it since it was iced I didn’t see a problem. My primary president mom did though. She went ape-shit on the lady for corrupting her Aronic Priesthood holding son with Satan’s Tea and then had tell the bishop about the incident. I’m glad I kept my mouth shut about the lady working outside topless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2018 05:18PM by Whiskeytango.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 29, 2018 04:40AM

Your mom would've called the police on her for the topless, lol.

Poor you. Going ape shit over iced tea; should be the least of a parent's worries.

Posted by: Well Endowed ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 05:47PM

You can be fairly discreet with any of the edibles. I like the gummies

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 06:07PM

...a full Vivarin or NoDoz tab in your Postum?...who would know??

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 10:33PM

If you get a tattoo of President Wendy on your chest, then all will be forgiven.

Posted by: Well Endowed ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 02:20PM

messygoop Wrote:
> If you get a tattoo of President Wendy on your
> chest, then all will be forgiven.

Any visible tattoo should work. They will never even notice the tea.

Date: July 29, 2018 04:37AM

Just don't worry about it. Green tea is one of nature's most holistic drinks on earth.

There's a yummy pomegranate green tea version that looks pink whether cold or hot. Perhaps you could see if you like that? They'll never know the difference from herbal.

I've bought it by the cup at my local barrista's. Now that I know 50 teabags are only $12 may order one myself!

https://www.republicoftea.com/organic-pomegranate-green-superfruit-tea-bags/p/v00637/dpn/40019/?gclid=CjwKCAjwy_XaBRAWEiwApfjKHpL7wXbMX1nlY5iwWnYng_6XsQgrwboUkW-Ulgx27Ox2uT73Xnc1iBoCTMIQAvD_BwE

Date: July 29, 2018 11:12AM

Some people may simply need tea to boost their metabolism.

It's much healthier for you than drinking sodas loaded with caffeine, and contains less caffeine than coffee.

Green tea is loaded with anti-oxidants in addition to the caffeine that increase circulation to the heart, and brain.

Using it as a picker upper should be the least of your worries. Try not to care what others think. It isn't like you're on a drinking binge and working intoxicated. Now that could land you with a pink slip. But not drinking wholesome tea.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: July 29, 2018 09:41AM

Deija Wrote:
> I know I shouldn’t care what people think... (some who work with me and don’t know I’m mentally out of the Church)...

The church is full of imperfect true believers who "have trouble" observing the WoW. So drinking tea doesn't necessarily signal you don't believe, only that you're "weak."

So maybe the thing isn't to mask your tea drinking but to find the right words to dismiss it. For example:

"Yes, I'm falling short of perfection and I meet regularly with the bishop about my horrible addiction."

"It's the temptation God is testing me with, and so far I'm failing. But it'll make me stronger in the end."

"I figure tea is healthier than massive quantities of Diet Coke/Mountain Dew/Red Bull."

"It's the lesser of two evils. Tea is all that's keeping me from being a thieving, murdering, child molester."

"Without my tea I become a judgmental jerk sticking my nose into other people's lives."

Or something like that. :D

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 29, 2018 11:09AM

Tell them you’re doing urine therapy, which is not against the word of wisdom.

Date: July 29, 2018 12:20PM

One of the last SS classes I attended there was an investigator. He asked the missionary (older) couple teaching it that Sunday whether drinking green tea was okay or not with the word of wisdom, based on all the healthy benefits derived from it?

The husband responded that it isn't okay to drink. That if he wants the benefits associated with drinking green tea he may take a supplement for it. Just don't drink it, lol.

That investigator did not return after that Sunday. Gee, I wonder why? ;-)

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 29, 2018 08:11PM

I wonder how many Mormons are fine with edibles?

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 29, 2018 01:27PM

When I was a kid "tea" had one meaning. Since then "tea" has
come to mean all kinds of "infusions" made with all kinds of
different plant leaves. So it's become muddled.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 29, 2018 08:06PM

I'm not obeying the brethren therefore I am getting away with something.

Posted by: moremany-NLI ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 01:24PM

---------------------------------
> Is it easy to just pass off my green tea as herbal tea or will they be able to see through me?
>

It doesn't matter if they can see through you. You just can't let them see through your cup/ glass.

You must not have gotten the memo: many Mormons, and non-mormons alike, have no clue TSCC changed the caffeine ban/ rules/ language/ condemnation/ questioning about/ consequences of, and church (mis)leaders preaching against it (caffeine), [and says they aren't changing - and never have changed - anything], in autumn 2012. (Mittens & Tommy)

LDS's website says it's always been that way. Caffeine has never been a thing in CHURCH MEMBERSHIT, that caffeine was bad but it was "hot drinks" (excluding herbal tea, post-uck, HOT chocolate, etc.). that was banned, not soda, coffee and tea.

If you want something Easy, what are you doing in or around mormonISM?

Don't tease with your tea.
Drink it with glea!

M@t

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 02:18PM

My TBM uncle had a slow heart-rate, and our TBM family doctor prescribed 2 cups of coffee every morning for him. My uncle refused to drink the coffee, so he took two No-doze every morning. What's the difference? Enjoyment, perhaps?

Pretend that you do NOT enjoy your tea, and you should be OK.

My TBM mother also had a slow heart-rate, and she thoroughly enjoyed her hot cup of coffee every morning, and one after lunch--various brands, roasts, mixes, etc. She would buy it freshly ground at the gourmet coffee store in our little California town. I loved the smell of that store! She was English, and drank her coffee from beautiful antique tea cups, which I now use for my tea. She was RS president, and whenever the doorbell rang, even before seeing who was at the door, she would yell for me to take the coffee pot off the stove and hide it in the oven, and turn on the ventilator fan. It was always church people at our door.

As a TBM, I kept my instant coffee in a Postum jar, or a Sanka jar, but I think they don't make those anymore.

At BYU, we would actually get into trouble, if we kept Pepsi or Coke in the dorm, so we would walk off-campus, for our Cokes, and we felt that this set us apart as being more liberal from the fundie, conservative Mormons, who prayed over their meals in the cafeteria. I would tell those fanatic boys that I drank Coke, so they wouldn't ask me out--and it worked!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.