Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wmellerychanning ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 01:29AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2018 01:30AM by wmellerychanning.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jay ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 11:26AM

Hunger strikes don’t work.

Until the person starts to get really freakin’ hungry.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 11:30AM

When you are fighting a battle that is so difficult that it seems like you'll never win what are you going to do? At least a hunger strike isn't self-immolation.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 11:40AM

jacob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When you are fighting a battle that is so
> difficult that it seems like you'll never win what
> are you going to do? At least a hunger strike
> isn't self-immolation.

Sometimes you won’t win. Even if you starve to death. While I agree with the cause the reality is that hunger strikes rarely work. People just don’t understand them. In this case the church simply is not going to change because Sam isn’t eating. Members won’t care because they don’t see the problem. It is ineffective. Eventually he will eat and figure out another tactic.

The reality is that sometimes you lose and don’t win. The only way to win with the church is to leave or convince enough members to stop paying tithing. Starving them of funds makes better sense. The most this might do is cause PR damage to the church that is done everyday anyways.

Date: July 30, 2018 01:06PM

Perhaps I could have phrased this differently. His actions are commiserate with how effective he feels they will be. The extreme nature of his protest is proof of the unlikely success.

However like I said at least he isn't self-immolating, by which I mean, he isn't causing himself irreparable harm. So I say good for him.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 01:23PM

I agree...

It just is a tough topic to really gain traction on with the church. They are not going to budge, sometimes you can only do the best you can and in this case he has done the best that he can.

The public that cares about it are powerless and the public that could change it (members) won't.

Date: July 30, 2018 04:38PM

The church already budged. It changed its policy a few months ago.

One serving of Crow
For Whiskey Tango

SAM is pushing for more.

Date: July 30, 2018 04:50PM

They didn't change their policy, they clarified their policy. Which is to put the onus on parents and children to not get abused.

The clarification states that the parent or child needs to ask to accompany/be accompanied. The interviewer gets to assume consent.

The clarification is beyond ridiculous.

Posted by: job74 ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 12:15PM

I'm with you. He's wasting his time and wasting away for a cause that isn't going to change any more than the Church already has changed.

Not that I'm fully satisfied with the changes the Church made, but I am satisfied that they one, pointed themselves in the right direction and two, implemented the changes they made relatively quickly.

There is still more to be done but one man starving himself isn't going to push the needle any further at this point.

Date: July 30, 2018 04:47PM

I hear the story made the front page of reddit.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 05:02PM

It made AP news. The cult will HAVE to respond and answer some VERY tough questions. See “Catholic priest scandals” for a corallary.

HH =)

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 05:45PM

He wins by drawing attention to the problem. You have to admit, it's the hunger strike that got the media there. That's the goal, to bring attention to this horrible abusive practice. Because in the end, what makes the church change anything is either a) they are getting negative press or b) something is hurting the bottom line.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 06:11PM

He's achieving the maximum success an individual can have against such a large and impervious organization.

Every news article, every mention on the radio: these matter on the margin. The church is on the defensive because many people have achieved this little victories.

It is the sum of these little wars that makes a difference, not any single one of them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.