Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 04:30PM

For those of you interested in the polygamous permutations of contemporary LDS, Nicole Mafi, daughter of Kingston Clan bigwig Paul Kingston, has published her tell-all. Well, I haven't read it yet, but I hope she does tell all. Those of you unfamiliar with the Kingstons, they are known as "the Mormon Mafia," distinguished by not only polygamy, but also for "hiding in plain sight" -- they dress conventionally, run and work in many conventional (and sometimes illegitimate) businesses. The businessman on the street or the girl at the hardware store register could be a Kingston, and you wouldn't know. These are not the FLDS folks in strange, pseudo-Amish garb.

The most notorious aspect of the Kingstons is that they believe they are the literal blood descendants of Jesus and Mary Magdalene ("DaVinci Code" on steroids), and marry incestuously within the core families "to keep the bloodline pure." Consequently, they have a tragically high rate of birth deformities and stillbirths.

https://www.amazon.com/Leaders-Daughter-Nicole-Mafi/dp/1723083283/ref=sr_1_1_twi_pap_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1532965432&sr=1-1&keywords=Leaders+daughter

If you enjoyed Cheryl's novel, "Polygamous Bride-To-Be," this should be a good follow-up.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 08:55PM

sounds interesting. I read Banner of Heaven, Labarons polygamy something, and Escape by caroline jessop, they are all fascinating books, everyone should be familiar with this.

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 09:33PM

Caffiend,

Have you heard of Aaron Shalovaloff of Mormonism Research Ministry? He goes to Mormon events to witness to Mormons and often gets their permission to film his conversations with them and put them on YouTube. The following is a link to one I found particularly interesting. Aaron interviews a young man who is a fundamentalist polygamist Mormon. The interview took place at the Manti Miracle Pageant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7thlCZmeMk

Date: July 30, 2018 10:29PM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 31, 2018 03:41PM

Thanks for the mention, Caffiend.

Date: August 04, 2018 10:35PM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the mention, Caffiend.

Just finished it on Kindle. It's a hair-raising tale. Nicole Mafi pulls no punches, and describes in excruciating detail the dysfunctional dynamics of polygamy, the corruption of "the Order" in all its love and loathing. The ring of truth is clear as she moves into the messy details of her exit from the Kingston group, the harm and pain inflicted upon her, and her own mistakes as she learned, late in life and the hard way, how to engage in non-exploitative relationships.She's honest about her mistakes and misdeeds, but she is one tough girl to have exited successfully and created an authentic adulthood.

She writes in a simple, direct vernacular, and addresses sexual molestation explicitly. The book could have used one last proof read. It's one thing to write, "Her and me became good friends" if that's one's natural style, but there are more than a few typos and spelling errors. This is a must-read for anybody who wants to follow the polygamy issue.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: September 16, 2018 06:05PM

This book has no title page, no copyright information, no publication date and no publisher listed.

I have never encountered that before.

Lots of spelling and editorial glitches.

But it is a compelling tale, well told, for anyone like myself, interested in knowing what it was like to grow up Kingston, where like the Pharaohs of old you HAD to marry kinfolk, because you were a different order of being, next to the Gods, actually, and you could only marry other Kingstons.

It is heartening to know how many of the younger generation left and never came back, and lived to tell the tale, which is easy to do in this tell all time where there is no such thing as a secret.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.