Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 12:40PM

Ok 3 hours is to much and stupid!why do Mormons go to 3 hours of boring church for? Kids probably get restless waiting to leave haha, the Amish have long church services but eat after it is over.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: goldrose ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 02:10PM

Brainwashing.

Years ago when I lived in Europe, we had church for two hours. Relief society/ priesthood would switch with Sunday school every other week. Two hours was still painful, but much more doable. After the first hour you knew you only had an hour to go.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 03:28PM

I remember one hour of bullshit priesthood meeting from 9:00am until 10:00am. Then a half hour in the basement kitchen prepping the sacrament. Then sunday school from 10:30 until noon.
Sacrament meeting was later in the day. I think it started at 4:00pm. Once I went home I never went back for sacrament meeting.
What was the point of sacrament meeting when sacrament was passed in sunday school ?
Mormonism is totally absurd !

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 04:29PM

Who want to go to 8-10 hours of work every day?

Ok 8 hours is too much and stupid! I mean you have to do laundry and clean the house too. Buy groceries and cook! It's too much drudgery!

Not to mention all that time posting to RFM.

Posted by: turdfondue ( )
Date: August 21, 2018 03:24PM

What a silly and stupid was that argument. Clearly this post has triggered a mo.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 21, 2018 09:21PM

He was being utterly and divinely sarcastic.

Please hit & run more often!

Posted by: Life #5 ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 05:39PM

It's a lot more than 3 hours!

Since you mentioned work, I would actually look forward to Mondays, when I was TBM!

When I was TBM, I would start dreading the weekend on Fridays, when all the non-Mormons were celebrating TGIF. Saturday would be the "day we get ready for Sunday." (May the writer of those song lyrics be banned to an eternity of Saturdays of cleaning church buildings, ironing white shirts, preparing Primary lessons, and hearing an endless loop of those brainwashing songs and chants, forever.)

On Saturdays, my one day off as a working mother, there were always several rehearsals for various sacrament meeting musical numbers, choir accompanying, learning and practicing hymns, preludes and postludes. I also had to prepare a Sunday school lesson. I taught the "unruly" teen-agers, whom I secretly enjoyed! We had great discussions, class participation, and some fun class parties--until the cult put restrictions on everything. The priesthood leaders told us teachers not to use any other sources except the manual, and that was boring! We were told to not "encourage" questions or discussions. Try to make a good lesson for intelligent kids, with those restrictions!

By the time Sunday came around, I was already burnt out! I wanted to connect with my children, and ask them how their Saturday went, and make plans for the upcoming week, and, well, be a parent! No, I had to make sure everyone was fed and ready for 3 hours of church. If they skipped breakfast, they would suffer for those 3 hours. I had to appear "performance ready" for the stand, and be there early to play the prelude. On the early schedule, we had to get up earlier than we did on school days. On the afternoon schedule, we had to fight fatigue and mind-numbing sleepiness. I drank two cups of coffee on Sundays, but not on the other days of the week.

Sunday is "family day?" Yeah, right. My priesthood sons always had something going on, after meeting, such as fast-offering collecting and home-teaching. They hated that. Wearing a suit for 3-6 hours was torture for the boys. The girls wanted to shed their dresses, in order to play and relax, or help me cook. Mormons always came to the door on Sundays, bringing music for next week, dropping off propaganda for the children, HT and VT, Relief Society, and all that. Forget about the traditional family Sunday Dinner. Then it was time for homework, and we would have pizza for dinner. When my oldest was in the singles ward, her schedule was different, and we never saw her all day.

On the happy week days, I would come home from work at around 4:00 on the week days, and we fought the cult to keep our evenings free. That's when the kids and I had time to spend as a family. There was still Scouts on Tuesdays. We would say "No" to all the rest: YM/YW activities, WM and YW sports teams, Family Home Evening lessons, canning and welfare projects, Relief Society homemaking evening, making dinners for people who really didn't need it. I had to be very assertive with the Mormons, and tell them "NO" constantly! My children took their school work seriously! They established good not-Mormon friendships at school, in their sports, in their after-school jobs, and skiing, etc. They didn't want to go to the Mormon parties (which seemed all about sex, alcohol, and drugs.) The Mormon kids spent a lot of time gossiping, scheming, manipulating each other socially, and rebelling. My kids didn't take seminary. How many more Mormon hours is seminary! Down the road, those Mormon kids didn't do very well in life. It is NOT "the best way to raise kids."

Sorry to rant. I had forgotten how hectic Life #4 was. Yikes!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 07:18PM

Sometimes I would call in sick on Mondays to recuperate from Sundays. Sundays were way more stressful than a workday was as a Mormon.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 06:00PM

A few years ago, when my daughter was maybe 8 or 9, she asked me if we could go to her friend's LDS church sometime for services. She's friends with a girl the same age who is the daughter of a TBM friend and neighbor of mine. A couple of times in the past I would overhear her little girl telling my daughter that "Our church is really, really fun," or words to that effect.

I replied to my daughter, "Do you know how long 'Taylor' has to go to church on Sunday?"

"How long?"

"About three hours."

The look on my daughter's face was one of sheer horror. "I am NEVER going there!" (As it happens, we have gone to my neighbor's church, but it was for the baby blessing of her son, and we certainly weren't there three hours.)

So, thank God (or Heavenly Father?) that LDS Sundays are so long...I think my kids are pretty much inoculated against ever converting. They think an occasional 45-minute Catholic Mass is never-ending as it is.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 09:10PM

Not me.
(Pollythinks)

Posted by: TX Rancher ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 09:15PM

I know it's been said many times before, but it wasn't often that it was just 3 hours...Getting up for bishopric meeting, ward council, then church, then tithing settlement it was more like 8 hours of church. F that. Never again.

Even my new catholic wife and I don't go to church but once every few months. And then it's only an hour. She used to go every week, but I think (and she told me) it was to pray for a husband. She found me and hasn't complained about not going much anymore, lol.

Life is so much better now. In so many ways.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 06, 2018 02:15AM

I never did. Still don't.

Posted by: Dennis Moore nli ( )
Date: August 06, 2018 11:21AM

Me me me!

JK Dennis :)

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 06, 2018 11:47AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 21, 2018 05:40PM

Three hours of church is way too much. I don't know how Mormons can do it.

Posted by: joecody ( )
Date: August 21, 2018 07:43PM

Just three hours?

Someone hasn't been listening to the hymns.... Let me give you the break down. You spend Saturday evening getting everything ready to be squared away for Church, then you go spend your 3 hours of Church, then you spend the day talking about Church reading the Book of Mormon as a family and eating a mini-thanksgiving. That is probably not even hard mode LDS, I bet there are families who make that look like a light day.

Recently I go to a non-denominational service in a tiny town way out in cowboy land in Texas. We have a strictly biblical message by a fun upbeat man who knows the scripture and meaning, and then all go out to scarf down tacos at a killer Mexican place. Then I go fishing. God is great, life is good.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2018 07:45PM by joecody.

Posted by: crazyhoss ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 04:59AM

only you boring not funny more like obsessed

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 10:08AM

The Mormons don’t drive horse-driven buggies, but their doctrine is a big pile of road apples.

Posted by: motherkate ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 02:36PM

I’m perfectly happy with my one hour service, with coffee and refreshments afterwards. Spending my Sunday mornings at church feels like a refreshing, renewing experience. It’s my reset button for the new week and starts things out on a positive, happy note. Three hours as a Mormon was literally physically exhausting for me. Even the most TBM people I know feel drained by the full three hour service. I think TSCC likes that it’s hard on people, if it was an easy, pleasant thing to do, you wouldn’t be able to tell people how much of a sacrifice you’re making.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 02:50PM

I was home (California) a couple weeks ago and went to church with my mother. I have to admit, it was nice to see the few people I still know and the church building that we all participated in building when I was still in elementary school, and which was such a big part of my childhood. The missionary who was leaving gave a really good talk. And I was very impressed with how diverse that ward has become. I think there were as many brown-skinned people as white--Black, Hispanic, Asian and Polynesian.

But still, by the end of the 3rd hour of the borefest, all I could think was "Hooooooooow did I do this for half my life?" Since there is only one ward in the large church that was once a stake center and home to 2 large wards and a Spanish branch, they could start at 10:00 instead of 9:00. But that meant the primary had a bunch of hungry, tired kids on their hands about noon and I really pitied the Primary workers.

No, thank you. I do church now, but it starts at 11:00, so I can sleep in and had better be done by noon so our lunch group can decide on a restaurant before we're famished.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.