Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 12:11AM

How long does it take to read the BoM before baptism, and is there a quiz first?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 12:23AM

"Sis. Mendoza, I know that this is just our first visit with you, but as we wrap up this first lesson, I want to ask you, if you come to know that the church is true, would you prefer to be baptized on Thursday the 17th, or would Saturday the 19th be better for your schedule?"

See, we didn't care if they read any of the BofM, we just cared that they 'come to know the church was true!!' We didn't even care if they attended church or paid a dime or quinto of tithing. And back in the day they were good to go when the senior companion said so. None of the BS of having pre-baptism interviews.

Get in the damn water!!

But I guess they've gone and spoiled it now...

Posted by: FNQ sparky ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 01:17AM

There is no time limit.
asap is the name of the the game
They tried to dunk me 2 weeks after first introduction and leaving me with the BOM.
The baptism by immersion in water is necessary to quell the burning in the bosom, they would not want to be responsible for it getting out of control and causing spontaneous human combustion

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 02:10AM

Two different mission presidents, two different approaches.

For the first, we were told to get the investigators reading the BoM as soon as possible. There was no expectation for how far they read, just an assumption that sincere reading would produce the right emotional response.

The second MP only wanted the baptisms, so we didn't need our investigators to read anything. That wasn't as crazy as it sounds, since a good percentage of the missionaries hadn't read the BoM either.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 08:09AM

"Hi. I'm Elder Sheepbot. Here's a book. No one can stay awake for the whole thing, so it's OK to get your warm fuzzy confirmation from God after just the first chapter. We'll be back tomorrow to pray with you and set up your baptism date."

Posted by: FNQ sparky ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 08:22AM

Elder sheepbot back again
"I know the Book of Mormon is true, I know the church is true, we got you down for the baptism at 2:00 pm on the 28 th
You'll get the burning in your bosom, true"

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 09:50AM

"Please! Just get in the water. We need the numbers."

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 10:06AM

Hurry and get in the water before you find out about mormonism.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 12:16PM

It only took my mother 17 years of marries life and exposure.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 02:48PM

In my not-so-humble-opinion NO ONE has enough time in this world for reading this boring book.

Asking anyone to read this book brings on a death tole of the desired goal which will surely never disappear, and I love the statement of Dave the Atheist which sums up the whole missionary shebang.....

"Hurry and get in the water before you find out about mormonism."

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 03:04PM

I baptized a young couple on my mission in France (they're since out, and I'm so glad).
On our first visit, we "challenged" them to read the BoM.
We came back a week later, and were all set to do the baptism challenge. But first...I asked them if they're read the BoM.

The husband said, "I read the first 10 pages or so, and then one of the reference chapters you gave me."

Uh-oh, I thought. He hasn't read it hardly at all. He's never going to go for the baptism date. But then he continued...

"I think it's amazing."

Hook, line, and sinker!

They were baptized 2 weeks later.

As far as I know, they never read the whole thing.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 03:49PM

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 06:33PM

And it came to pass that I've never managed to read two pages consecutively.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 10:21PM

And unless you were totally brainwashed it doesn't take a genius to figure out it was concocted by ignorant, backwoods semi-literate hicks who could barely read, write, or spell...

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 10:50PM

You underestimate J Smith. Even among historians, he is regarded as something of a religious genius. He could have been more successful had he not had such a gluttonous eye for the ladies, and their dowries. And had he not been so greedy and power hungry which drove him to self-destruct.

Posted by: robinsaintcloud ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 05:40PM

oh, so frustrating, when a customer, I mean investigator would state that they would like to read the whole book first before being baptized. Ugh, no, please, not that, we can't wait that long. Nobody does that, we never even asked you to do that! Please, just pray about it after reading a little bit.....please! And that feeling that you are having, that's God telling you that it is true. Yes, we are sure about that, don't worry. (Hey, when I get home, I'll bet I could sell solar panels or, well, just about anything!)

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 06:40PM

Yes Robin! LOL, that exact script would go through my head when someone wanted to read all of it. I hated it when an investigator wanted to read the entire book. One, I knew they would not be baptized within 3 weeks which was the mission goal. The second issue was they would make a list of questions we were supposed to answer. Well at least this was before the internet.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 06:48PM

Just get'em baptized!

Don't worry about a testimony, concerns or doubts.

So long as they B-E-L-I-E-V-E-D in the church mantra; it didn't matter if they read the BoM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2018 06:48PM by messygoop.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 07:52PM

To get through the BoM I read three chapters a night from cover to cover. It took a few months, but I did it. I was 19-20sh at the time. I read the bible first, followed by the BoM.

The bible was easier to get through. It was less like chloroform in print (Samuel Clemens description of the BoM.)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.