Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 03:46PM

A feel good story that will make you cry :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1X0QTTtPmc

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 06:07PM

I finally talked one of my two color impaired sons into trying them at a optical shop in Murray, Utah.

He has green/red impairment.

He wasn't impressed with the Enchroma for the price and found cheaper ones online--but still won't buy them. He said it was like adding color correction to his photos on the computer, but nothing dramatic.

My other son who has almost monochromatic vision refuses to try them. He figures he has gotten along thus far just the way he is. That puzzles me. I'd be very curious.

My bro has color impairment and also a glitch where he can't see certain numbers. And, any linear set of numbers looks like a Cheltic knot to him. Sophisticated man, retired well. I asked him how he achieved all that in view of his impairment. He said he had to fake it.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 06:18PM

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 09, 2018 12:06AM

Those in our family have some pretty interesting mental processes going on. I, too, am vexed by my brother's number thing, though.

Maybe all of our exposure to Nevada bomb tests didn't serve us well (or maybe it did!).

Another abnormality/gift many of us sibs enjoy is Synesthesia, where senses overlap. I see numbers as colors, and voices frequently come through as flavors. I can smell people on TV, which is why I can't watch martial arts. And, let me tell you--Miss Kitty has worse BO than Festus!

My son sees music as colors to the point that he can't drive and listen to the radio at the same time--too distracting. It's all fun.

I wonder if BYU Boner and Lot's Wife experience synesthesia along with their love of music. I hope so. :)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 03:11AM

The answer for Lot's Wife is yes, though perhaps not to the same degree as your family.

Some sorts of music produce in me a perception of colors, as is the case with two of my children. And there are types of classical music that invariably trigger tingling sensations in specific parts of my skull. Music is a strong multi-sensory and multi-sensual experience for me; it isn't something one simply "hears."

And my family, probably like yours, has unusual cognitive patterns. A number of close relatives have some intellectual weaknesses relative to most people--things that in some cases made, or make, school difficult--but have spectacular countervailing intellectual strengths. It's as if their brains are wired for different purposes. Frequently I look at them and think, "how the hell did you do that?!"

You, Kathleen, probably know what I mean.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2018 03:11AM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 06:37PM

For reasons of simple vanity and ego, at the age of 71 I maintain my CDL Class A driver's license, even though I doubt I'll ever drive trucks again. At this age, I have to renew every year, and take the eye test. I've done it so many times cheating is easy.

Incidentally, we common red/green color blind guys (females are carriers, rarely get it, thanks girls!) don't see things in black, white, and gray. It's simply that certain reds and greens have a frequency that mimic each other, so some reds and greens are not picked up by the rods and cones on the retina.

My son and eye tried those glasses when they first came out, and didn't pick up that much more color. For the price, we decided it wasn't worth it. Maybe they've improved the technology?

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 09, 2018 12:36AM

I had no idea there were all these variants of colors, smells, eye blindness, etc.

I'm one of those that see what is there, I guess. I see numbers and colors and don't see or hear anything else.
Seems rather simple, now that I think of it, compared to some other folks.
I only see auras when I close my eyes or stare.

I've seen demonstrations of people who were appeared to be thrilled with the color correction glasses.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 09, 2018 12:41AM

I bought my brother a pair of Enchroma glasses. The colour he became most-fascinated by was brown. He said he'd never seen it before. Without the glasses, black and brown were the same to him.

I remember when he was a teenager and he'd ask me to drive him to a friend's house, he would say, "The house with the green car."

I'd be like, "What green car." He'd point, "That one!" I'd say, "That's sort of rust-coloured."

He'd just say, "Whatever. That one." LOL At the time, I didn't realize that he was colour-blind.

Posted by: badam2 ( )
Date: August 09, 2018 06:31AM

I'm color blind and has been getting in the way of work a little bit.

Date: August 09, 2018 06:36AM

How much are those and what are they called?

Date: August 10, 2018 02:09AM

Thanks, wonder if this will work for blue-purple color blind as well.

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 02:19AM

Thank you so much for posting this.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 01:44PM

my ex-husband and my boyfriend are both colorblind. There are many other things that they are alike in, but my boyfriend is definitely STRAIGHT.

Neither of them are interested in seeing what the glasses do for their colorblindness. They have the red/green colorblindness. Both of them do the "isn't that car green?" thing. My ex couldn't understand why I thought the Grand Canyon was so beautiful.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 02:30PM

They have no interest in trying these glasses. They're happy as they are.

Date: August 10, 2018 06:10PM

I kind of like the world with less color myself.

Posted by: NeverMoMimi ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 02:45PM

The thing I find most interesting about the Enchroma glasses is that they were a "Happy Accident." They were originally designed as protective glasses for surgeons. It was quite by accident when a color-blind friend tried them on and it was discovered that they could correct colorblindness.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.