Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: August 09, 2018 06:32PM

So Sunday afternoon I was visiting family and asked my dad, what happened at church today (being testimony Sunday and all). His response as usual was it was all about Temples. Temples this, temples that, how thankful we all are for these the latter days and temples, temples in all three classes, and more about temples.

I know folks (especially seniors) who work in them regularly, they "serve" for hours on end every week. Others spend hours and hours a day doing genealogy at home everyday. just going back and forth deleting duplicates, searching for what they think is incorrect temple data, trolling other members genealogy and changing things. Some members go on family vacations and instead of sight seeing and being a tourist they actually search out a mormon temple to "do the work."

But why are dead people so important? Are mormons escaping from the world and it's problems, from actually trying to help people who are alive?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 09, 2018 06:50PM

The church convinces members to worry about dead people so they aren't distracted with the real, immediate problems of living people. Meaning themselves and those around them.

If they're busy "saving" dead people, they aren't doubting.

That's a "win" for the morg.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: August 09, 2018 07:22PM

Exactly....there's a lot of dead people to keep them busy.

And when they tap into the "saving your ancestors" angle, there's a real motivation to stay busy.

And when you're literally saving the posterity of the eternities, there's a significant reward for your efforts.

All in your head of course, but none the less powerful.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 09, 2018 06:51PM

It’s because dead people are a cash cow for LD$, Inc.

Posted by: Stephen Fry ( )
Date: August 09, 2018 07:04PM

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: August 09, 2018 07:25PM

Of course it can. But that's merely a side effect for mormons....if they can get it. The first priority for mormons is saving the dead, not interest in genealogy. Don't put the cart in front of the horse.

Posted by: badam2 ( )
Date: August 09, 2018 07:31PM

It's escapism to the highest degree also.

Date: August 09, 2018 07:49PM

escapism exactly. There are so many things that need to be done in Utah such as:
1) building better public transit,
2) cleaning up the air quality,
3) trying to get the thousands of homeless away from temple square and living in residences,
4) getting everyone a job that uses their talents, intelligence, and abilities
5) using all the millions of acres of land that just sitting around in the desert
6) fracking for oil/gold/gas/silver
7) fixing utah's overcrowded public classrooms, motivating Utah's below average population to want to be innovative and industrious, and have a work ethic.
8) stop drug trafficking, meth labs, the dark industries.
9) getting all the teenagers and young people gainfully employed doing something, there are thousands that spend the summer doing nothing but playing xBox, and loitering.

But what do mormons care about?
...Temples, and dead people...

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 09, 2018 07:36PM

Diverting attention. Keep 'em focused and busy and make them feel important--part of the "in" crowd. Yeah. That's it.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: August 09, 2018 09:02PM

Because their leaders tell them it is important, and their leaders are never wrong...

Posted by: krwoolf ( )
Date: August 09, 2018 09:33PM

I do find it wasteful that hours are spent "saving dead people" when there are living people all around with actual needs. And those that "serve" have this holier than thou smugness about them as if they're doing this great thing, while in reality it is beyond meaningless!!

Posted by: not logged in today ( )
Date: August 09, 2018 09:49PM

Dead people don't talk about the CES letter.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 09, 2018 09:57PM

One thing that's really cool about doing temple work for those who have passed on from this mortal, fleshy realm is that as the matter stands now (you know, science 'n stuff), there is no proof that these faithful saints are completely wasting their time!

That's my opinion...

And their contrary opinion, that they are doing something noble and absolutely necessary, is also unprovable! That's the best they can do because just about everything else they assert as a truth CAN be shown to have lots of evidence against it.

If it wasn't for the inertia of about 4 million marching "morons", the church would grind to a halt.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 09, 2018 10:38PM

It's so very culty, is why. It's something no other church focuses on the way TSCC indoctrinates its members into doing.

Consider though only a tiny percentage of church going Mormons actually have temple recommends to attend temple endowment sessions, or baptisms for dead.

The rest aren't worthy enough to go. Though they pay for them through their tithes/offerings the same as the others. Only the most ardent zealots are temple goers even among their own.

Without the temple work, what would be left? A cult has to control the members, and that's a key way they do it.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: August 09, 2018 11:40PM

Like I've told a couple of family members: If genealogy and temple work are your chosen hobbies, go for it. Just quit looking down you nose and trying to make me feel inadequate because I'm not doing that stuff.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: August 09, 2018 11:53PM

Because they get to be called Saviors on Mount Zion, and their ancestors will fall at their feet when they meet them in the afterlife.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 03:17PM

Its also busy work for idle minds.

Date: August 10, 2018 04:16PM

"busy work for idle minds" I interpret that to me that secretly mormons are being lured into laziness.

there seems to be a genuine desire of humans to want to be involved in something important. But having an inventive mind and creating something takes work and is frustrating to troubleshoot mistakes. Helping young people in their studies takes patience. Helping in a soup kitchen presents you around poor people. Working in a job for pay can be very tiring.

mormons want to escape reality, and they are lured into laziness and don't even know it.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 04:14PM

Fear. Fear of punishment for not being worthy. For not "doing enough." And promise of reward. Eternal punishment and eternal reward.

"What? You don't your ancestors to hear about the restored Gospel? Don't you want your family to be together in the eternities!?"

Oh, and busy work. Lots and lots of busy work.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.