Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kilgravmaga ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 06:53AM

One thing that is deeply ingrained in Mormon doctrine and culture is this idea of worthiness. The worthiness is not granted by the savior, but rather its a measure a bestowed upon members by an external judge, namely a bishop or stake president. This judgement is filtered through the education and personal attitudes of the leader and what one bishop may see as vitally important means nothing to another. They judge your worthiness with a list of questions meant to probe your actions and motivations. If you fail to pass their judgement you are barred from full participation in the church and often made to publicly humiliate yourself in order to gain the approval of the church community again.

Aside from worthiness interviews, the leadership may notice some 'misbehavior' on your part, either teaching false doctrine or simply not complying with the whims of leadership in some aspect. This leads to a 'Court of Love', wherein a group of men, having discussed your case will determine what punishment is needed. The choices are usually excommunication or disfellowship. Although its called a court, there is no real defense that can be given, its just them telling you what you did wrong and whats going to happen to you.

Contrast this with the majority of the christian world, where the inherent 'unworthiness' of the christian is recognized. Rather than using this unworthiness to humiliate or manipulate members, most churches help them work through a process of repentance that does NOT involve public humiliation or isolation from the group. They admit that they are "sinners" rather than trying to prove they are worthy of God's graces.

I don't want to romanticize main-stream christianity too much. I know there is plenty of group-think, some humiliation, gossip, etc. But, I do not see it used against the members of christian churches in the same way I see it used against Mormons.

The church has held firm in its stance that worthiness interviews for youth are necessary. I believe this is because they need to control the youth in the same way they control the adults, with fear and shame. This is why they hold so tightly to a practice which is seen by most churches as unwise.

As they do so less people join. And yet more bleed out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 08:54AM

I agree with you. By contrast -- The attitude in the Catholic church is that "we are all sinners." Catholic confession happens when *you* are prompted to do it, not when the priest demands (although it is expected that you will do it at least once per year.) It is anonymous. You can do it in any church you wish, either across town, or thousands of miles away. No other church member knows what you confessed, even in your home parish. The penance that the priest gives is normally minimal, i.e. a set of prayers. You say the prayers and go home, washed clean of your sins.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 09:11AM

the cult secret ... unobtainable goals.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 01:15PM

"... an external judge, namely a bishop or stake president. This judgement is filtered through the education and personal attitudes of the leader.."

IMO, the members are taught to believe is that the worthiness *is* judged by God, but filtered through the bishop or stake president, who are official rep's speaking for, and by extension, in contact with God.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 06:25PM

Most church doctrine is whimsical based on the whims of a con man. You’re a bad person if you don’t follow those whims. Yeah, how about not?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 06:41PM

"Rather than using this unworthiness to humiliate or manipulate members, most churches help them work through a process of repentance that does NOT involve public humiliation or isolation from the group."

SO? Individuals are the ones who harm themselves regardless of an interviewer. Mormonism is a cult so it requires one.

Religions provide both their poison and antidote both for a price to the individual.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 08:03PM

Nice to see an important post like this, kilgravmaga---at least I think so.

Mormons believe that their bishops and stake presidents are guided by the spirit. Being convinced of that is what allows the control tactic of delving into your most personal, private, feelings and thoughts and actions so that they can use them to shame you---thus putting you on the defensive and keeping you there with the carrot of worthiness dangled just out of reach.

That turns the process into a two against one---the Bishop and you against you. You become your own enemy.

So glad the worthiness interview agenda is going public. The contrast between this interview process and what the lesser invasive religions do is substantial. I'm sure most would find it anywhere from inappropriate to disgusting.

AND, why is so much of Mormonism preoccupied with sex?

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 10:14PM

One of the few guarantees in Mormonism - no matter how hard you try it's guaranteed to not be quite good enough.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.