Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 06:18PM

The answer to your question is: Resign your membership in the LDS Church.

There is no other, legally effective, way.

Suggestions from our members on how resignation may most effectively be accomplished would be welcome. :)

Thank you to everyone who responds.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 06:43PM

Resigning via sending an e-mail to church membership records department (as per the instructions on the main page of RfM) got me nowhere but frustrated. The advice was then given to me to use the quitMormo* website (replace the star with an 'N'). They have a Facebook page too. Using that method got me resigned within 2-3 weeks. It was quick and effective and zero drama, as opposed to trying to resign via e-mail. I highly recommend it!!

Posted by: TX Rancher ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 09:33PM

Exactly what I did. It was painless, no contact, and clear confirmation that it was done. I recommend this, too.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 07:37PM

One copy to member records and another to the bishop telling him of the other copy. You can have it notarized if you choose. Giving only one copy to the bishop means he might not get around to forwarding it on for you.

Many posters also say to be clear if you don't want visits, calls, or letters once you've said you're resigned.

It isn't necessary to meet with anyone or explain why you are leaving. Simply saying, "I quit" is enough.

It might also speed up the process if you tell them when and where you were baptized. If you don't remember, they can figure it out.

I didn't want to receive any further communication, but many exmos want to have a letter from the church admitting that they've resigned.

The mormon church likes to use the term "having your name removed." This is not accurate language and can slow down the process because it gives them more power as if they can delay the name removal. Saying "I quit" or "I resign" means you are no longer a member from that moment on.

Email works well for many, but sometimes these messages can be lost or church officials can claim they're lost somewhere in cyber space.

Good luck. It isn't that complicated. Just write a simple letter, copy it, and send one to SLC and one to the bishop and you're done!

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 07:43PM

Some suggestions you may have received are completely unnecessary. You don't need a lawyer. You don't need your membership number or date of baptism, etc.

See complete instructions here:
"Leaving the Mormon Church: How To Get Out"
http://packham.n4m.org/leaving.htm

Posted by: logged off ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 09:08PM

When I read "Done"'s post, it wasn't clear to me if s/he had been baptized or not, IIRC it just mentioned investigating. I responded as if the baptism had not yet occurred, and that "Done" just wanted the missionaries & members to go away. So I suggested three courses of action -

1. Every time mormons try to make a contact, "Done" should give them a copy of the CES letter, or at least tell them that s/he was reading the CES letter.

2. Make liberal use of the F-word, which makes mormons cover their ears and run away shrieking like vampires from garlic.

3. Call the church what it is: a cult, preferably preceded by adjectives such as "toxic" and "disgusting."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.