Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Churchsux ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 08:18PM

LDS name change

Lucifer-Devil-Satan

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: TX Rancher ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 08:23PM

Russell Nelson says use of the full name of the church is "his will" (God's will)?? And he knows this because of a revelation? No....it was "impressed on upon my mind."

What does that mean??

It was impressed upon my mind that your whole enterprise is a sham.

The article also says, "It encouraged a new shortened reference for the church, the 'Church of Jesus Christ,' and said 'the restored Church of Jesus Christ is also accurate and encouraged."

Yeah, I'll bet they'd like to be known that way.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 08:23PM

I heard this all before. They tried this in the 1980's and it didn't work. The problem is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is a mouth full. The church is stuck with the nickname Mormon and the abbreviation LDS. This will be about as successful as Ezra Taft Benson telling the women of the church to stay home and not work.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 08:24PM

Yeah, we don't want you heathens calling us mormons, mormonism LDS, etc. Oh, but the Mormon Trail and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir are ok.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 08:31PM

Nelson's attempt to stop members from using the term Mormon and LDS will be about as successful as his attempt to gather Israel. What else is this guy going to tamper with. I hope he keeps going and gets even more radical. Maybe the members will wake up and stop listening to the crazy old fools. Maybe Russ Nelson will turn out to be what we hoped Boyd K.Packer would do as president of the church. Make so many stupid and radical demands as prophet he alienates himself from the mainstream church membership and they question the validity of the church and the sanity of the prophet.

Posted by: Investigating atheism ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 08:29PM

So the proscription against the "too frequent repetition" of the name of deity is out the window? Again?

D&C 107:4: "But out of respect or reverence to the name of the Supreme Being, to avoid the too frequent repetition of his name, they, the church, in ancient days, called that priesthood after Melchizedek, or the Melchizedek Priesthood."

Seems like the proscription would apply even more in the context of the media's use of the name than when the name is used with reverence, such as in referring to the high priesthood. Branding and PR concerns must override concerns about sacredness.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 08:33PM

I swear it was the 1990s when they came out with this already or even the early 2000s as I was out when they did this before and I left in 1996. I thought it was ridiculous then and even more so now since he acts like it is his own "idea." Wendy probably told him to do it. Makes him look like he's 93 and forgetful.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 08:41PM

cl2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Makes him look like
> he's 93 and forgetful.

I am thinking this is the case.

Posted by: Well Endowed ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 10:48PM

Mormonnewsroom.org needs to be changed to thechurchofjesuscristoflatterdaysaintsnewsroom.org

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 01:22AM

And the Mormon Tabernacle Choir needs to change its name to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Tabernacle Choir.

They will also need to jettison the I'm a Mormon campaign and change the title of the movie, Meet the Mormons, to Meet The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

I'll take them seriously once they change ALL of their own websites and such. Until then, I will continue to use the term "Mormon" when and however I please.

Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 10:56PM

Church of Christ (1830-1834)

The Church of the Latter Day Saints (1834-1838)

At various times the church was also referred to as "The Church of Jesus Christ", "The Church of God", and "The Church of Christ of Latter Day Saints".

At Far West on April 26, 1838, Joseph Smith recorded a revelation from God renaming the organization the "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints". The church was known by this name until after Joseph Smith's death in 1844. Sometimes there was a hyphen between "Latter" and "Day" and sometimes not.

After Smith's death, competing denominations organized under the leadership of a number of successors. The largest of these, led by Brigham Young, continued using "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" until incorporation in 1851 by the legislature of the provisional State of Deseret, when the church standardized the spelling of its name as "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints", which included a hyphenated "Latter-day" and a British-style lower-case "d".

In 1876, the LDS Church issued a new edition of the Doctrine and Covenants, the first revision since before Smith's death, in which the capitalization and hyphenation of the church's name in the 1838 revelation was changed to reflect the name format the church had since adopted: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Until the late-20th century, church publications inconsistently capitalized "The" in the name of the church in running text. Today, church publications invariably capitalize "The" in all contexts.

Today, "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" is a registered trademark owned by the LDS Church. In contrast, "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" is a public-domain name and is used by some smaller Latter Day Saint denominations, including the Strangites.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_of_The_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter-day_Saints

Posted by: readwrite-now ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 11:03PM

The College of Joseph's Crazy or Lost Dreary Souls

MORMONS: Change your own websites first....... DUMMIES!

EXmormon.org
LDS.org
Mormon.org
BlackLDS.org
GaysandMormons.org
MormonsandGays.org

I left out about a thousand [word?s]
You get the picture (fwiw) {NPI} lol

They certainly have beam and mote problems...
Thats the kettle calling the pot black

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 09:13AM

So what do you call yourselves?

"I'm a Church-of-Jesus-Christ-of-Latterday-Sainter"?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 09:22AM

The former RLDS church tried to distance itself from the COJCOLDS by changing its name to Community of Christ.

Could it be Mormonism is trying to distance itself from itself?

ROFL.

Posted by: Honest TB "member of The Churc ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 09:32AM

Oh dear I'm going to probably get carpal tunnel syndrome and spend a lot of time writing out my "Screen Name" in the future. You heard what President Nelson said, the debate is over, and we all say Amen. That's how we do the Correlation One Step Obedience Dance :) 'Honest TB "member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints"' is sure a mouthful. But if I were to use "TBM" then I'd be out of compliance with what this super dooper Holy Prophet is telling us. Maybe I'll just use "Honest TB [long]" in the future or "Honest TB[L]". It'll sure help people see how wondrously normal and non-strange us "[long phrase]" individuals are genuinely.

I think I'll just use HBA (for Honest Believer Answer) or spell out the whole thing when I need to do some clarifications on some answers that some so-called True Believer, like Daniel C. Peterson or Robert Millet, might make that is grossly dishonest and makes [long]s look like they belong to a delusional deceitful cult instead of a true Church.

Posted by: MRM ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 09:51AM

Maybe the the church should do as this site administrators advise "pick a name and stick to it".

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 10:03AM

Not really about the name it's about CONTROL and to find out how many will go along with something so ridiculous. I think Oaks is behind all this because he is a control freak

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 10:55AM

I think somebody needs to take the keys away from great grandpa.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 11:06AM

"TBM" could become: Totally Brainwashed Member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints". TBMTCJCLDS

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 11:20AM

Since I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member Mormon it is. They can't tell the rest of the world how to refer to them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2018 11:21AM by sbg.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 11:23AM

I wonder, just as a matter of curiosity, did Wendy Watson Nelson have any input into this? Sounds like they might be maneuvering to name the first woman profit. I hope in her first GC and profitess, she wears that hot red suit.

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 11:30AM

No more Jack Mormons. Now, Jack Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Sainters?

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 01:14PM

No more "Mormon" pioneers either. Henceforth, they shall be referred to as The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints pioneers; even, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints handcart pioneers.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.