Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Concerned parent ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 03:15AM

Can someone who attends clear this up for me? My MIL told me there are no more visiting or home teachers. She is crazy religious so I am sure she is up on latest protocol. Then this week my neighbor told me he is assigned as my home teacher. I respectfully told him to mind his own business. Has there been a change in church policy that I missed?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 03:34AM

Officially the Home/Visiting Teaching programs are disbanded. It was announced in the April General Conference. It has been replaced by a new ministering program. I do not know all the details, but official monthly visits are no longer part of the program. But from what I gather, a person may be assigned to "minister" to you and your family, and it may involve different types of "regular contact".

But officially, you should not have an assigned home teacher.

Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 07:26AM

Nothing except the name has changed. Monthly visits are still assigned and required.

Posted by: not logged in (nli) ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 11:47AM

You now have an assigned "minister." Since the new program itself is so vague, no one really understands it, consequently how it is implemented differs from ward to ward.

Same shit, different flies.

Posted by: stan ( )
Date: August 21, 2018 11:53PM

My wife who is a Mormon has been talking quite a bit about this lately.
But for some unknown reason, several authority figures from her religion want to come over and talk to me. It seems that Us Helping an elderly, almost blind Mormon lady requires us both to be recognized, and talked to for doing this. She drives the lady to dr. Visits and church on Sunday. I just drive her to the store or pick things up for her.
Who are these guys , why do they need to talk to me, could it be just another way to try and wear me down into becoming a member ?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 12:04AM

If they can't get you baptized, how they going to charge you tithing!?!?

Posted by: not logged in (nli) ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 01:35AM

"could it be just another way to try and wear me down into becoming a member?"

Why, yes. That's exactly what it is. Unless you slam your foot down *hard*, they won't ever stop trying to wear you down, and that's one of the many reasons why mormonism is an insidious cult.

You don't need them in your life, and you don't have to give them the time of day, much less talk to them. They will only annoy and irritate you, like gnats buzzing around your head.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 09:26AM

stan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sunday. I just drive her to the store or pick
> things up for her.

Why, how dare you do something nice for someone without being assigned as an official mormon minister(tm)!
That's just not how things are done!
You need to be assigned to do things!
You need to report on them, and only do the nice things they tell you to do!
Who the h e double toothpicks do you think you are? Only inspired mormon leaders can assign you to do something for someone! The nerve!

<sarcasm off>

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 01:35AM

I like the new "ministering" label. It's much more compassionate and caring. I'm no longer a member, but when I talk with a member, and I show I care and have concerns for their trials, or share something I know they will like that fits with their beliefs, this now is recognized as "ministering". Happened to me recently.
One of the best ways I've found to keep the friendships I cherish from the years, is to meet people "where they are." I find a way to share something that fits with the general belief system that is a comfort to them. It's about soothing and supporting them, where they are. It has nothing to do with me and my needs. That, to me is what service really means.

Small edit: I can now think of myself as a non-religious ministering angel. Ya. That works! :-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2018 02:16AM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: readwrite-now ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 05:59AM

Now people must [home] 'teach' and 'visit' themselves
In their home, alone, unless they are home less (regularly)
If the home has already been taught, visit another one

They can do it on the fly
Anyway [if] they choose
Don't even have to be there
Or even have to care

No reporting.
No excuses
No [less] lies

Shifting the numbers [people] around

Posted by: frank ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 09:18AM

My wife, ( who is a mormon) has been talking a lot about this lately.
There is an elderly lady who lives nearby, ( who also is a mormon)
who we help out quite often. I do some of her shopping, and drive her around. My wife drives her to her mormon church on Sunday.

But within the past week, I've heard that some guys from the mormon church want to come over and talk to me,something about being "signed up" for their new program.

I get the impression that it is only another way for them to try and get me to become a member.

good luck

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 11:57AM

My TBM sister, who often only has Mormonism on her mind, caught onto this "ministering" word, and is now busy sucking it dry of meaning. In conversations with TBM DW that turn to Mormon-speak, she is always prattling on about, "Blah-blah-blah ministering blah-blah, and ministering blah-blah-blah called to minister." I want it to stop. I do not think it means what they think it means.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.