Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brook ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 10:25AM

Every Mo I know refers to themselves or their cult as LDS. Many use Mormon as well. What the ever living fart is wrong with Nelson? Of all the issues to take on, why something so trivial?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 11:19AM

It may be something as ubiquitous as social sites such as RfM, et al that leaves little to the imagination of usage of the terms Mormons and LDS.

They're used so frequently and intermittently by ex-Mormons and others - it creates more bad publicity for a church already under attack from its opposition.

Posted by: mankosuki ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 11:34AM

Nelson got called out and looked stupid in 1990 General Conferences. He's had a hard on about it since then. In April conference Nelson gave a talk about using the full name of the church. In October conference Hinkley said it would never work and the nickname of Mormon would stick. Here's the October talk if you can stomach it. You don't have to read the whole thing, as the call out is towards the beginning. (Fourth paragraph) The 15 are egotistical turds.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1990/10/mormon-should-mean-more-good?lang=eng

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2018 11:47AM by mankosuki.

Posted by: brook ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 12:18PM

I like what Gordon said. Mormon. It is what it is, make the best of it. God knows they have plenty of other problems.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 06:16PM

One word: Ninety-three.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 09:49PM

93!!! That's a lot of trombones!!

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 10:23PM

Because this stuff is insignificant I don’t retain a lot of this crap, but didn’t the church o’ saints try to make everybody knock off the name Mormon a few years back? As I recall it didn’t go far then. Ain’t gonna grow legs this time, either I hereby revélate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2018 10:23PM by csuprovograd.

Posted by: verdacht ( )
Date: August 19, 2018 10:12PM

I remember in the late sixties or early seventies there was a push to replace Mormon with Latter-day Saint and to use the full official name of the Church. Obviously it didn't work.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 19, 2018 07:23PM

What ever happened to Nelson wanting everyone to stand up when he walks into a room? I guess his worshipfulness hadda come up w/sumpthun just as ridiculous.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 19, 2018 10:50PM

I think the next name for the church that will stick is simply "the cult". I know I use it amongst family and friends and I think it's starting to work. It's also a great way to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to your family and friends. Those who are truly brainwashed tend to start avoiding you (they filter themselves out). Those who remain are either really saints (albeit mis-guided), or they don't believe that crap either (whether they are members or not).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.