Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jan ( )
Date: August 21, 2018 03:13PM

I don't understand the vitriol that's being directed towards Mrs Nelson. Allegations of lesbianism (which, if true, are not our business), suggestions that she's running the corporation, etc.

She's drunk the Mormon Kool aid and appears to enjoy having reached the ultimate success for a Mormon woman, namely, bring married to the top man. Mormon woman can have no success or status in our own right because we are mere objects who exist only in relation (and subservience) to men.

Is she the power behind the pulpit, or is she just another Mormon woman defined by her gender?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 21, 2018 04:05PM

It's fine that she is lesbian. It is, as you say, not a problem and not our business. What becomes our business is the outrage the church has against homosexuality, yet the patience and overabundance of regard for those who are in a particular charmed position within the church, as are Wendy Nelson and Sheri Dew.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 21, 2018 04:14PM

Oh I have a Wendy in my own family. Has always been active in the church but never married and she's in her 50's. She's a bit different and very smart academically. Works at a university. These types are in the church. I know a few of them. What their sex life is like I have no idea.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 21, 2018 04:18PM

Wendy is drunk ON the Mormon Koolaid.

Like a certain POTUS is drunk on power. It has to be a major ego trip for her and hubby to be top dogs in TSCC.

Maybe she didn't seek out the notoriety. But the look of smugness on her face for the camera says it all.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 21, 2018 04:21PM

jan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Allegations of
> lesbianism (which, if true, are not our business)

I'm all for lesbianism.
I'm not all for hypocrisy and bigotry.
If she is a lesbian, she's guilty of both -- and in a very public, outspoken way.
If she isn't a lesbian, she's just guilty of the bigotry part -- and in a very public, outspoken way.

Her loudly-declared public statements make it the public's business.

> Is she the power behind the pulpit, or is she just
> another Mormon woman defined by her gender?

Got me. Don't care.
I do care about the harm her taken-as-coming-from-the-wife-of-a-prophet public statements do to people.

This is a woman who, essentially, has made self-enrichment and achievement of as much power as possible in her chosen group (the mormons) her life goal, and to achieve it she's very publicly stomped on other people to get them. I don't care if she's a woman or a man, a lesbian or straight...she's an awful human being, and displays her awfulness regularly and loudly in public. She merits all the vitriol she gets.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 12:05PM

I bet you liked her book, then.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 06:20PM

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 21, 2018 05:01PM

She did with a children's book what Boyd Packer did to teenage boys with a pamphlet.

https://deseretbook.com/p/not-even-once-club-wendy-watson-nelson-88683?variant_id=7444-hardcover

Regardless of their power structure, someone like her in a position of power is something to cringe at regardless.

Chiasms instead of orgasms...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2018 05:02PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: Chica ( )
Date: August 21, 2018 06:03PM

OP: "I don't understand the vitriol that's being directed towards Mrs Nelson."

I've been wondering the same thing, Jan. I can't figure out why, according to opinions on this board, she is so much worse than any other general authority's wife.

Date: August 21, 2018 06:06PM

See above linked book for children.

Date: August 21, 2018 06:38PM

https://deseretbook.com/p/not-even-once-club-wendy-watson-nelson-88683?ref=Grid%20%7C%20Wendy%20Watson%20Nelson%20%7C%20Taxon%3A%20733-8&variant_id=7444-hardcover

It's amusing that even on the deseret book site, the comments/reviews about the book are overwhelmingly negative.

Date: August 22, 2018 11:56AM

I know right? Guilting members as children and having parents buy the book to do it sounds "Mommy Dearest" to me.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 21, 2018 06:56PM

The other church presidents wives kept a lower profile than Wendy does. They didn't seek out the spotlight the same way in making public appearances.

That, and the age difference between her and her husband is a stark contrast. She looks young enough to be his daughter. She's loving her role and may well outshine her husband in terms of energy and looks.

So she is taking up more attention than previous wives have. She also comes across as having a sense of entitlement and air of arrogance. She sees herself as having a "jump start" on becoming a goddess by marrying Nelson, she made it on the fast track to becoming the Celestial Super Stepford Wife.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 21, 2018 06:58PM

The book is described as "adorable"....I doubt that.

Date: August 22, 2018 06:09PM

It is adorable to the likes of people who would use a funeral as a platform to chastise unbelieving family members - and not just once but in various ways like holidays, marriages, rituals, car trips, phone calls...etc.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 21, 2018 07:03PM

My perspective based on the teachings of Mormonism.

"We think eternally" is a quote from a Mormon working in the LDS Church membership department. Their theology dictates everything in their lives. These are people with a belief system that covers every single part of their lives.

Now about the new wife of the new president/prophet. Wendy is so special, she has been chosen (in the pre-existence) to be married to a prophet in the last-days, for eternity. This is an amazing coup on her part. She is one of the elite.

My guess is that the adult children knew this was a real possibility (their father remarrying) and welcome her as another very specially chosen woman who will have spirit children with the prophet (their father) in the eternities.
These children and their children, etc. have now been given a great promise, also.

These people have no interest, nor do they care what others think or believe about them, their beliefs or their religion.

They are totally convinced their beliefs are absolutely true. In addition, they are "set apart" and have received the additional anointing that assures their eternal place in the highest degree of the Celestial Kingdom. This is the ultimate in proof of their righteousness which they believe with assure them their own planet to propagate spirits to populate.

That's Mormonism, folks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2018 07:05PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: August 21, 2018 08:49PM

if she is attracted to women that's her speel. I couldn't imagine being attracted to women an marrying a man. maybe she is worried about her position in the afterlife. I think it underlies a the most important point is that she enjoys the power and prestige she inherits by suddenly marrying one of the 12. now she is the first lady of a 32 billion dollar corp.

it just seems that being drunk on power is a more of a motive for her than her place in the CK.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 21, 2018 09:15PM

Wendy has muscled her way into the Mormon spotlight. She pushes the Mormon agenda vocally and as strong as anyone, perhaps stronger.

Wendy's book, "The Not Even Once Club" is the epitome of everything wrong with Mormonism and the last thing any child should read. Endorses judgement and shunning for children. Why not get them started young? My take on it anyway. The book is vile so how can it's author not be?

I don't care what she is on the inside or what secret she is hiding if any. What's blatantly on the outside is sanctimonious, self aggrandizing, bigoted poison and more than enough to merit any vitriol coming her way.

As far as I'm concerned she's busted through the glass ceiling and is on par now with Oaks, Bednar, BKP, and SWK. I could add to the list, but, whatever.

Date: August 22, 2018 11:59AM

Wendy shows Mormon women how a woman can use marriage to climb. It is a sign and token for everyone to see how "sacred" Mormon marriage is - just more Mormon dynastic shiz that they can look back and see Joe's "*polygamy" in it.

*Joseph Smith was never a polygamist. He merely used marriage as a ruse.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 06:23PM

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 05:54PM

That's "Sister" Nelson to you bud.

Date: August 22, 2018 06:18PM

Which reminds me...how come Wendy didn't get a new title when her hubby got promoted?
I mean, it was Apostle Nelson, then President(prophet) Nelson...but it's still plain old Sister Nelson.

I'll bet that really chaps her hide, come to think of it.

She's probably whispering in Nelson's ear every night (to make him think the idea came from "the lard"):

"From now on, the wife of the prophet shall be known as Her Holiness the Exalted Sister Nelson. So say we all!"

:)

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 06:32PM

Because woman.

Date: August 22, 2018 06:47PM

Cause the cistern wouldn't like it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.