Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 03:55PM

Ok I asked why people join the Jehovah's witness cult for and got you can't use cult it is offensive to the Jehovah's witness and we are the only faith that is true? We believe Jehovah's saves people from being worldly and following Jehovah

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 22, 2018 03:56PM

Yeah except Jehovah's witness shun anyone who leaves the Jehovah's witness, holidays are not allowed " voting , joining the military or anything with politics is not allowed, not reading anything that is not Jehovah's witness is not allowed

Date: August 22, 2018 03:59PM

No blood transfusions, no looking up different religions and checking them out. Go to kingdom hall all the time, no worldly friends. Obey all rules from the watchtower. These are just some of the things Jehovah's witness can't do! They are dangerous!

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 04:08PM

They don't "go the Kingdom Hall all the time". One Sunday meeting, one mid-week, gathering on weekend maybe to go out with their magazines (although they don't seem to do that so much any more).

The "rules from the WatchTower" comprise their beliefs. No surprise that they follow them.

Why does any of this make them "dangerous"? They are known for sticking to themselves. Seems kind of harmless to me.

Date: August 22, 2018 04:01PM

Well, many faith groups find it offensive to be called "cult". It has a derogatory connotation.

Likewise, many churches obviously feel they are the "true" faith. Even some Christian denominations think other Christians, outside their own group, are not the real deal.

I don't find those two realities too surprising.

Re JWs, I don't recall reading matter in general to be off limits. Maybe that's changed since I knew more about them or maybe your impression of that is not entirely accurate.

Why are you going to their site? To get info? To disagree? Of course they are going to defend their beliefs.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 04:05PM

More of this why for speech. So curious, yea, even tortured.

Date: August 22, 2018 04:22PM

They are dangerous because the Jehovah's witness are told to shun anyone who is not living the Jehovah's witness way. They break families apart , there is a lot of child abuse going on and many Jehovah's witness die from not getting blood transfusions

Date: August 22, 2018 04:24PM

No I don't go on jw.org but look at videos of ex Jehovah's witness and they tell the the truth about the Jehovah's witness

Date: August 22, 2018 05:15PM

Oh. Dangerous to their members. Yes. That happens, as you describe.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 06:59PM

OK, so yea, who is your intended audience for this post? I doubt anyone here is looking into joining the JW's, therefore the warning probably isn't necessary.

Posted by: joecody ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 04:23PM

I'm in Texas now and am surrounded by those churches we were told about growing up TBM.

A nice young lady invited me to church months ago, and I agreed. As we got closer and I realized we were going to a church in middle of nowhere I started picturing it.

We walk in, and the service starts shortly after. I am certain any second now a member is going to start flopping on the ground like a fish in a boat yelling gibberish pretending to be posessed by Angels. Somebody is going to have a speaking snake. Before this is over, a lady is going to pass out because she is overcome with the spirit. Any second now there is going to be a call to blessing where a stream of people in their 50s get touched by the Pastor and pass out.

Nah, it is just a Bible study church. What a relief.

@OP if you are going in with your fangs out nobody is going to have a serious conversation with you.

Everyone thinks any religion that isn't theirs is ridiculous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2018 04:25PM by joecody.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 07:05PM

joecody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Everyone thinks any religion that isn't theirs is
> ridiculous.

This is a ridiculous statement.

I agree this is true of SOME Christian groups (only), but there are a literal world of religions on this planet to which this does not apply.

In fact, aside from the particular Christian groups who do believe this, I can't think of any religions to which this DOES apply.

It is not true of Jews, of Hindus, of Buddhists, of Sikhs, of Zoroastrians, of Muslims (who specifically grant both Christians and Jews "people of The Book" status), or of any of the tribal religions I have any knowledge of.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 07:51PM

Tevai Wrote:
> It is not true of Jews, of Hindus, of Buddhists,
> of Sikhs, of Zoroastrians, of Muslims (who
> specifically grant both Christians and Jews
> "people of The Book" status), or of any of the
> tribal religions I have any knowledge of.

Maybe more of a "truism...?"

Sadly, I personally know people from all of those groups (except one, I don't know any Zoroastrians) who think exactly that -- every religion that isn't theirs is ridiculous.

So while it may not be officially true in official beliefs of church organizations, it's very often true of individuals IN those organizations. Not always, but often enough.

Date: August 22, 2018 08:02PM

My experience has been completely different, and I don't know why.

You and I live in the "same" geographical part of the planet, where we each live with similar varied demographics, and we have both traveled internationally.

I don't know what the difference is.

Thank you for posting this. Because of your words, I will be paying more attention to this issue in the future.

Date: August 22, 2018 08:32PM

Maybe my religious discussion style brings out the feral-tribal in people?

The biggest shock to me was when a not-very-observant Jewish friend told me that Judaism was "the original religion," and that all others were "failed attempts to improve on it."

I had to ask if he was serious or joking.

He was serious.

Posted by: verdacht ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 08:43PM

I kind of see his point.

Date: August 22, 2018 08:54PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
> The biggest shock to me was when a
> not-very-observant Jewish friend told me that
> Judaism was "the original religion," and that all
> others were "failed attempts to improve on it."
>
> I had to ask if he was serious or joking.
>
> He was serious.

This would shock me as well, and I would certainly be calling him on it.

I know of no Jews who think this--probably, in part, because those raised within the larger Jewish community usually develop historical timelines in their heads at very early ages (certainly compared to their non-Jewish peers), and also because "everyone" is always looking "everything" up in the source literature(s) "all the time."

Most Jews usually know the basics of ancient history fairly well, and have no illusions as to when religions began (probably somewhere in the range of about three million years ago, and probably more or less simultaneously with the advent of tool making).

So far as we know right now, Jewish history makes its first known appearance about 1500 BCE (but known writings about NON-Jewish religions go back to about 3200 BCE).

There is no way that Judaism is the world's oldest religion, and any Jew who thinks this needs to undertake some remedial learning of the basics of human history. ;)

Date: August 22, 2018 09:26PM

Tevai Wrote:
> There is no way that Judaism is the world's oldest
> religion, and any Jew who thinks this needs to
> undertake some remedial learning of the basics of
> human history. ;)

I know! Hence my shock!

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: August 25, 2018 10:03AM

My experience in several different denominations is similar. Christians I know in those groups generally do not believe in any one church having a corner on Christian truth, nor do they view the church as an institutional entity but as s body of believers scattered among all Christian denominations. What binds them is a commonality of essential salvationalbeliefs rather than the particular denominational markers.

Date: August 22, 2018 05:50PM

Yep ex Jehovah's witness are called apostates and they can't live on earth forever. Plus you lose everyone if you leave the Jehovah's witness

Date: August 22, 2018 06:27PM

...but you gain yourself.
It's still a win :)

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 06:54PM

They joined for some of the same reasons people joined the LDS cult.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.