Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: helenm ( )
Date: August 25, 2018 11:09PM

I recalled a conversation in the past that just randomly crossed my mind just now. 2 of my exmo friends were talking about my convert friend in the kitchen when we did a group gathering for ping pong and music a few weeks ago. They had mentioned my convert friend wished someone in another family ward a happy fathers day over Facebook, the man responded "thank you. Have fun in Europe this summer." It wasn't the man's response that was startling, but the fact that the man knew she was traveling to Europe and she didn't even tell him. The only people who knew she was were the people in the family ward she was in at the time before she moved to a YSA ward. 2 of my exmo friends talked about how she was surprised at how he knew and they got an impression she felt that she should be careful when talking, because things do get out. Even if they aren't meant to be personal, the way my 2 friends were talking about it, it made it sound like the lds environment isn't the best place to confide or even talk about even the smallest things without it going around.

Has anyone experienced this? My convert friend basically learned to be careful about disclosure in the church environment from this experience after realizing people do talk. She wasn't upset about it, but it did alarm her.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: PrivateParts ( )
Date: August 25, 2018 11:44PM

If one wants privacy, they shouldn’t be on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. But, yeah - Wards are gossip factories.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 26, 2018 12:37AM

A confidence entrusted with a church official is a confidence breached. They lack filters.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 26, 2018 03:19AM

There's a church auxiliary committee called "Ward Council" that has a job to perfect the saints thru gossip. For a couple of hours once a month, the ward's leaders go down a list of people that are not towing the Mormon line. People take turns guessing why Brother Bob isn't sitting next to his wife. And why Sister Jan isn't following modesty guidelines by showing too much leg.

No privacy in the church.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2018 03:19AM by messygoop.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.