Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 27, 2018 10:02PM

So they do know the wheels fell off their church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 27, 2018 10:23PM

what does that even mean? It really makes no sense to me.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 27, 2018 10:39PM

It's a way to say the apostles are "special witnesses" even if they haven't seen Jesus.

The change was, as you intimate, a huge acknowledgement that the church has no special powers.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 27, 2018 11:45PM

ditto

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 08:02AM

It is complete meaningless gibberish.

I'm a witness to the name, even gemini. I'm not even special.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 09:23AM

I'm a special witness to the name, even, of Han Solo.

Amen and pass the blaster.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 12:51AM

And always remember: Han shot first!

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 07:13AM

Void K. Packer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And always remember: Han shot first!

Actually it was only Han that shot. Greedo never got off a shot, contrary to the revisionist history George Lucas now professes. Chewbacca actor Peter Mayhew definitively ended the debate when he shared a picture of his copy of the script for 'Star Wars' (or 'A New Hope' for those of you who like to go along with George Lucas' constant revisions) proving that it was only Han Solo who shot, and thus "shot first".

https://twitter.com/thewookieeroars/status/705043238382604288

Sorry, now back to your regularly scheduled ex-Morm...ooops...ex-member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints discussion.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 08:08PM

They were hoping most members would not catch on.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: August 27, 2018 11:36PM

Should that be, "special witness to the name of Jesus, even the Christ?"

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: August 27, 2018 11:47PM

to understand this, look in most any dictionary under 'lame'....

just sayin'

Date: August 28, 2018 12:38AM

I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised at anything these guys do, but it seems especially cynical and gutless. They really went there? They must be pretty sure they’ll never actually meet Jesus because they’d have some ‘splainin’ to do.

They must have been advised by their lawyers. When there’s money at stake, they’ll throw even the son of God under the bus.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 09:09AM

The 'special witness to the name of Jesus Christ' title I think has evolved, so as to slightly reduce the lie told, every time someone uses that title. It started out as people with that title saying that they are 'special witnesses of Jesus Christ'. The church took a lot of flack over that, because of the bold-faced lie that claim is. So they cut it back some, so as to not be called on that lie, publicly. Anybody can witness a name in good concience, even an athiest. Just because you see the reality that such a name exists, doesn't mean that any person with that name is/was a God. That is quite different than claiming to be a 'special witness of Jesus Christ', complete with everything the church teaches about him (heavily implied). I tend to believe that the church made the change to witness the name instead of being a special witness of the actual deity, because of some legal implication (like fraud) claims made either in a court of law, or by a government somewhere. Who knows, perhaps someone granted that title by the church, could have turned out to be a child molestor, this being a terrible embarrassment to the church. In any event, the church does not give-up anything for free, especially when it comes to their outlandish religious claims. They had a reason to do it. One that matters in the real world. The fact that they even tried-on using that bold-faced lie as an organization speaks volumes about what a cult the mormon church is.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2018 09:21AM by azsteve.

Date: August 28, 2018 09:53AM

I’m a special witness to the name of Homer Simpson.

Posted by: Robert Paulson ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 09:22AM

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 09:31AM

One of the television hosts of "American Ninja Warrior", Akbar Gbaja-Biamila, is famous for congratulating and cheering on contestants by shouting, "I see you! I see you!" (You know you've made it when Akbar acknowledges that he's seen you.)

In my crazy cartoon bubble I see him shouting, "I see your name! I see your name!"

Posted by: Curelom Joe ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 09:19PM

So that explains something I saw today -- there were pictures released of Prince Harry's room while he was at boarding school at 18, and the wall decor included a sexy but tasteful pinup of Halle Berry, then at her peak. She posted this photo on her Twitter feed with the words: "I see you, Prince Harry!" I didn't know it was a recent pop-culture catchphrase.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 10:01AM

So, like for sure Jesus name is Jesus. Like really. For sure. Honest.

Wow. Good to know. Cuz like up until now, even with the Bible and stuff I couldn't be sure.

Posted by: Dennis Moore nli ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 10:05AM

Oh yeah, well I'm a special witness to Queen + Adam Lambert. I've seen them twice in LA and now...

Going to Vegas this weekend to see them in The Crown Jewels Tour. Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

We are the champions- Dennis

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 07:45PM

Really? They are that good?
I have been debating on buying tickets. I am not crazy about Lambert he just makes me miss Freddie but Roger & Brian are awesome.
Freddie himself was a Godhead:)
Report back on the venue & seating, please!!!!!!

Posted by: captainklutz ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 01:39AM

I miss Freddie...and John Deacon.

I saw Queen a few times starting with the Day At the Races tour. They were always amazing. I just don't think I can deal with Adam Lambert.

Posted by: Dennis Moore nli ( )
Date: August 30, 2018 07:24AM

I will return and report.

You really must give them a listen- They are freaking awesome.
Adam isn't trying to replace Freddie, but honor his legacy.

-The Show Must Go On- Dennis

Date: August 28, 2018 10:15AM

Come to think of it, it’s more accurate than the old way. Do they love Jesus, or do they love the name of Jesus? Do they love God or Mormon God? I like these incremental improvements.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 10:50AM

They still say they have experiences "too sacred to talk about" which to the rank and file members mean THEY'VE SEEN JESUS.

So i'm really not all that sure what they are trying to pull with the special witness to the name of JC. I think they did a market study and somebody told them it sounded good.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 11:06AM

I wish that Joseph Smith’s experiences had been too sacred to talk about. The world would have been spared from Mormonism.

Date: August 28, 2018 11:07AM

If they say it’s "too sacred to talk about", didn’t they just talk about it? It’s humble bragging. You’re not special enough to hear it. In other words, they like smelling their own farts.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 11:04AM

Well aren't they special. Bless their little hearts.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 11:11AM

LOL!

Posted by: Healed ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 11:32AM

We all have things, often inadequately unexplained, that just drive us more crazy than anything else regarding the church. This is one of the big ones for me. Actually allowing members to believe that you have some inside, special knowledge to the existence of God or Christ, and then not ever specifically explaining what that experience/knowledge is, is the height of religious hubris! In fact, I think it smacks of religious abuse. It just drives mr crazy! I want to smack the 15, everytime I think them!! Ugh -

Date: August 28, 2018 03:39PM

I’m imagining Moe slapping Curly and Larry and 12 other guys all arranged in a circle.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 11:54AM

What they are saying, known or unknown to them, is that they are calling themselves special witnesses to the Greek Title, Jesus Christ.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 03:27PM

Yes, but "Special witness to the name Yeshua Hamashiach" just doesn't have the same ring to it, does it? :)

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 03:54PM

n/t

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2018 02:00PM by Nightingale.

Date: August 28, 2018 07:28PM

Google.

Jesus must give really lousy instructions.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 07:31PM

n/t

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2018 02:00PM by Nightingale.

Date: August 28, 2018 09:31PM

Fat fingering a phone isn’t that easy.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 04:16PM

In the name of our lard and savor, even the lard of all the earth, even Jessssus Effen (the vodka) Chrisssst. Ammmmmmmmen.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 07:16PM

They're admitting that they have never seen Jesus Christ. Then they (metaphorically) wink at you.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 11:08PM

They better not ever pull that "I am a special witness..." or that "I know the church is true" crap on me again. I'll humiliate them in front of their friends or who ever is around when they say it. Every mormon testimony is so weak that they're all easy to lead to embarrassment to the person who tells those lies if they are anywhere else outside of church when they say it. And if I am around to call them on their lies.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 11:14PM

Anyone who believes in Jesus can say that. So what makes them so special?

Date: August 30, 2018 09:03AM

The short bus.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 11:20PM

Regarding this apostle chit... Jesus called apostles in Israel and he called 'disciple/apostles' here in America, but did any of the apostles call apostles?

It seems to me that by Jesus' own rules, only He can call you an ass-hole, er, apostle. And that seems fitting.

So some apostles getting together to call more apostles... why stop at 15, like they do now?

I suspect it's all a scam.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 11:21PM

Ya think?

Date: August 28, 2018 11:58PM

It’s a weird culture for sure. They are basically royalty with lots of groupies. They have a customer base that essentially wants to be lied to. It’s not as simple as coming clean because of the legal implications. What did they know and when did they know it? They’re like cigarette company executives. I’ll bet Uchtdorf is happy he was asked to leave the party before it got really weird.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 12:53AM

For god's sake, people, this is like RfM's version of a faith-promoting rumor.

There is no legal trickery involved, and the church didn't catch any flak and have to change their wording on advice of their lawyers. Look, here's their official website:

https://www.lds.org/prophets-and-apostles/what-are-prophets-testimonies?lang=eng

See that? Right there at the top of the page, in big letters? "SPECIAL WITNESSES OF CHRIST."

Just because some GAs try to make themselves sound important by sometimes saying "special witnesses to the NAME of Christ" doesn't. Mean. Anything. They also sometimes say "special witnesses FOR Christ." They're just trying to use lots of different words to sound grandiose, puffed up, yea, even asinine.

Full of sound and fury, they are, signifying nothing, and you all give them waaaaay too much credit. Now, go on about your business, and quit bringing this up as if the world is ending every time you happen to hear a GA insert the word "name" as if he has some nefarious purpose.

He doesn't. They aren't that smart.

Date: August 29, 2018 01:56AM

To paraphrase the Savior, let the brain dead bury the brain dead.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 02:01AM

Anziano Young Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For god's sake, people, this is like RfM's version
> of a faith-promoting rumor.
>
> There is no legal trickery involved, and the
> church didn't catch any flak and have to change
> their wording on advice of their lawyers. Look,
> here's their official website:
>
> https://www.lds.org/prophets-and-apostles/what-are
> -prophets-testimonies?lang=eng
>
> See that? Right there at the top of the page, in
> big letters? "SPECIAL WITNESSES OF CHRIST."
>
> Just because some GAs try to make themselves sound
> important by sometimes saying "special witnesses
> to the NAME of Christ" doesn't. Mean. Anything.
> They also sometimes say "special witnesses FOR
> Christ." They're just trying to use lots of
> different words to sound grandiose, puffed up,
> yea, even asinine.
>
> Full of sound and fury, they are, signifying
> nothing, and you all give them waaaaay too much
> credit. Now, go on about your business, and quit
> bringing this up as if the world is ending every
> time you happen to hear a GA insert the word
> "name" as if he has some nefarious purpose.
>
> He doesn't. They aren't that smart.

I happen to believe/understand that Very Little of what they publicly say is 'off script', I think they plan the trajectory of almost every sentence, every phrase, almost every word with great care. They certainly don't care about individuals, but the appeal/ appearance of things is too important to be ad-lib or spontaneous.

Date: August 29, 2018 10:45AM

Do you honestly think that GAs are following a Church-approved "script" to use only the phrase "special witnesses to the name of Christ" when

a) The church's official website, official publications, and official media still use the phrase "special witnesses of Christ"
b) GAs are not consistent in using either phrase, or substituting it with "special witnesses for Christ"

I think you are confusing Mormon-specific vocabulary, which happens naturally, with scripting. No one told everyone to start using the phrase "tender mercies" all the time, but once Bednar did, now everyone does. Same thing with any rise in incidence of "special witnesses to the name of Christ," once one GA started saying it to make himself sound smart, others follow suit like sheep.

The point is, there is no cover-up, there are no legal issues here (seriously, people? Legal issues? Churches can claim whatever the hell they want in this country*), and if there were, you can bet the church's official mouthpieces would have stopped using the original phrase--and denied they ever had used it.

*I work for a Catholic church, which is a whole other pile of bullshit. If churches were culpable for their claims, the first victim of any legal action would be the easily-disproven Catholic claim that Jesus' body and blood are present in the eucharistic host. Mormon apostles claiming to have seen Jesus would be way, way down the list.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2018 10:50AM by Anziano Young.

Date: August 29, 2018 10:23PM

I keep wanting to believe they’re not dumber than shit.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: August 30, 2018 02:01PM

“The calling of an Apostle is to be a special witness of the NAME of Jesus Christ in all the world, particularly of His divinity and of His bodily resurrection from the dead (Acts 1:22; D&C 107:23).”

Date: August 29, 2018 11:07AM

Bednar seems to be a meme starter. He’s a word guy, so maybe the Name is a big deal to him. It’s too bad he won’t turn that mind to the church’s problems. But of course, he can see nothing from that side of the “veil”.

Date: August 29, 2018 01:05PM

Bednar oversaw a stake conference when I was in high school and he was an Area Authority. My father--a die-hard Mormon, CES employee, and on the stake High Council--described his handshake as a "cold fish." Ha ha!

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 11:45AM

But...it's right there in the name of the church!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 02:34PM

We know that this nonsense has been perpetuated for some 25 years now. Many of us were asleep, drunk with kool-aid or didn't give a damn.

Back in 1992, we missionaries were given explicit (I actually wish that I had the memo-driven document) instructions about missionary do's and don't-s. This was a huge regional conference in a high school auditorium that seated about 3000 members.

No asking for autographs.
No picture-taking cameras or videos
No recording devices
Do not put your hand out for a handshake unless it is first extended towards you.
Do not invite non-members.
Do not request any blessings or prayers.

Can you guess why I am unable to recall the apostle that came?

I and some other mission president's shit-list mishies was out in the parking lot directing traffic for the entire event.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2018 02:36PM by messygoop.

Posted by: badam2 ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 10:25PM

It's to say, " we have seen and been around Jesus and you haven't so you better shut the hell up and listen to what we have to say."

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: August 30, 2018 06:11AM

I am a special witness to advocate using the name "ASSpostHOLE" for any MORmON executive leader that uses that SUPER LAME ASS approach to the matter of testifying about their supposed knowledge of (MORmON) Jesus. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52XoDQL8lmg

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.