Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 09:56PM

As I watch, the”Mormon” church is on a downhill slide toward disaster. It is of the making by the people who have aggressively pursued leadership and power in the organization. They have chosen to pursue a non sustainable course of action which will ultimately overwhelm and dismantle the organization.
It has been proven, over time, that overplayed, oppressive mind control will eventually erode and collapse any society to which it is applied.
In order for the society not to collapse it will have to revamp and redirect its' stated course of action. I could probably ramble on for two or three pages but I think it better to now pass this discussion on to the members of this forum for input and evaluation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 10:17PM

I think it’s meant to implode, but the esoteric view isn’t necessary. The church set up this whole unrecoverable situation. Orthodoxy gets tyrannical over time if nobody is pushing back. It’s not their fault, it’s just how the human mind works. We have a United States because Jefferson understood this. The church could be saved if the members raised a big enough stink, but the church has brainwashed away its only salvation.

If you want to go with my first sentence, God has his ways. It’s just time for Mormonism to go.

Posted by: badam2 ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 10:21PM

I always thought it had to collapse without any outside opposition eventually.

Posted by: oregon ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 10:36PM

The book of Mormon, the corner-stone of the church is true. Prove it. We cannot. BYE!!!
It is really that simple.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 10:41PM

I don't see that happening any time soon. They've know that this corporation masquerading as a religion was losing out slowly but surely to lots of different forces; the internet; smaller families; shifting needs of the congregants; problematic history; a less than attractive proposition for new prospects; etc, and they knew that they had better shift their revenue lines from tithing to investment income. They've been doing that since their near collapse after Brigham died and when they nearly went bankrupt on many occasions. Today, their wealth is secure in their many investments outside of the religious realm. The religious side can take the long, slow but steady shrinkage. The corporate side is doing quite well.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 10:50PM

I agree. I really don’t see a collapse happening. The days of rapid growth are long gone. Conversion rates are way down; birth rates are down; inactivity rates are up, but there are still several million who will likely never leave.

As time goes on, TSCC will be even less relevant than it is now, but I think it will be around for a very long time.

Date: August 30, 2018 02:07AM

It will never be like it was. Also, with the abysmal retention rates among young males, the pool of RMs is drying up. Once today’s women reach menopause, then what? The leaders can’t think their way out of the box they’re in because such thinking has been selected out.

She will sink, dear Rose.

And I don’t think TSCC is as well off as it looks. Cash comes in but it also goes out. There are a lot of hogs feeding at that trough.

Posted by: HWint ( )
Date: August 31, 2018 10:58PM

babyloncansuckit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> with the
> abysmal retention rates among young males, the
> pool of RMs is drying up. Once today’s women
> reach menopause, then what? The leaders can’t
> think their way out of the box they’re in
> because such thinking has been selected out.

if the LDS Church (screw 'em, I'm not typing out the full name) eventually collapses it will probably be from lack of men. it's happened in other churches.

track down a copy of "Why Men Hate Going to Church" by David Murrow. most Christian denominations are majority female -- up to 80-90% in some cases. there's a tipping point when denominations reach about 70% female. there's a slow but inevitable tailspin that's hard to recover from. and that's
regardless of doctrine, regardless of if men or women are clergy. LDSinc is about 60% female, and the men are bailing out far faster than the women.

LDSinc, like most Christian churches, have men in leadership roles. but on the ground the churches function like social clubs for women. and it's often stultifying for men. churches that keep men take very specific, deliberate steps (e.g., male-only ministry groups that positively empower men and don't emphasize shaming language). LDSinc is halfway on the mark with some of this (e.g., Boy Scouts, EQ, etc). and data from Murrow's book demonstrates that men AND women simply don't respond as well to women in church leadership roles. when women become clergy, overall attendance tends to drop dramatically. but where LDSinc misses the mark, and what may be impossible to recover from, is all the controversies and historical scandals, along with the doctrinal quirks that have painted them into a corner. to be a mainline Christian you need to accept only a handful of miracles from 2000 years ago surrounding Jesus. and some churches are pretty flexible (nothing like a TR interview to be a member in good standing). to be a mormon, in contrast, you need to accept A LOT more than just Jesus.

my perspective is that Mormonism puts FAR more pressure on men than on women. the feminist critics of the church might raise some good points, but they (a) are seeing only part of the picture and (b) are looking at Mormonism in a vacuum -- without comparing it to other christian denominations. for example, the entire reason to go on a mission is to get married in the temple; i.e., to meet a woman's expectations. men are obligated to go on missions, or they're persona non grata and 2nd class citizens. women have the option of missions, and there's no stigma for women who don't.

in the last few years I have seen about 4-5 younger RM co-workers face _tremendous_ pressure to get married. And the pressure comes almost entirely from women. their moms, their girlfriends, their GF's mothers, RS busybodies, etc. at times it looks like a conspiracy between women and the GAs to whip the young men into line. and after marriage, there is usually tremendous pressure from the wife who expects her new hubby to make her dreams a reality and make it happen NOW. they want the cars, the house, the vacations, the cute little baby in Gap clothes, they want to post it all on instagram to compete with their frenemies, and they demand hubby finance all of it.

"Women have taken great care to ensure that their lobby, the clergy, are always men. First, because the female image might be damaged if they represented their own interests – men might think them calculating – and second, because they know men rate feminine intelligence rather low, which is why they can only influence a man's emotions. Advice from another man, and one respected from childhood, is much more likely to be listened to and taken. Although this advice always benefits women it does not reflect hostility on the part of this holy lobby toward "normal" men, but is a direct consequence of that lobby's financial dependence on women." ~ Rich Zubaty, "What Men Know that Women Don't"

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 11:17AM

What you're describing is patriarchy and misogyny, which feminists have decried for decades, if not centuries. It's a system that men set up and men enforce. The "lobby" may be dependent on the financial contributions of women, but the women can only make those contributions indirectly--by coercing their menfolk to make the payments. The lobby is the leadership who controls the system, stands at the podium, and exhorts those poor, naive young men to adopt the values of the patriarchy and misogyny that oppress them.

Women didn't invent this system. For every social-climbing man gunning for a position in the "lobby," is it surprising there are women making the system work for them too? The hordes of men using this system for business contacts and social opportunity are the same ones suffering in it as women use the same organization to increase their own status and raise their desirability among the same men they oppress.

Your post is old-fashioned feminist theory told from the stand-point of male grievance. Wanna [kitty] hat?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 11:49PM

It will not collapse. It will morph.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: August 31, 2018 11:45AM

It has morphed and continues to morph. I wonder what the next morph-to-mainstream will be?

Posted by: badam2 ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 03:07AM

I predict gays will be accepted.

Posted by: FNQ sparky ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 04:33AM

I also predict they will allow gay marriage, since gays usually don't have kids, more tithing dollars and time available
At that time they will vigorously deny they opposed the gay thing,and that gay youth suicide was nothing to do with them.

Posted by: xxxMMooo ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 07:54PM

Fewer children will mean lower rate of natural increase in growth. I doubt the new demographic (liberalized) members will have much enthusiasm for tithing or missionary activity so the decline will accelerate.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 11:58PM

The real marvelous work and a wonder is that THE (POS) MORmON church based on utter BS like the Book of MORmON and Joseph Smith supposed first vision has continued on as long as it has.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 30, 2018 09:54AM

smirkorama Wrote:
> The real marvelous work and a wonder is that THE
> (POS) MORmON church based on utter BS like the
> Book of MORmON and Joseph Smith supposed first
> vision has continued on as long as it has.

Scientology is based on a story made-up by a sci-fi author...and it keeps going. No amount of simple fact checking, scandal, or exposed awful secrets deter the "true believers."

The rest of the christian sects are based on stories that are completely unconfirmable, and almost certainly false (NT) -- as well as older "traditions" that have in many cases been clearly shown false (OT)...yet almost a third of the world believes in the various sects.

And so on.

I would be my sincere wish for the mormon cult to collapse and disappear. But I doubt that will happen anytime soon, if ever. True believers ignore facts, ignore scandals, ignore everything except their desire to believe. That will keep it going for some time -- though how big it will be is always a question!

Date: August 30, 2018 10:43AM

Ron White was right about what you can’t fix.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 30, 2018 03:44AM

Mormons believe in revelation which means the organization can adapt to changing times and needs.

Posted by: manymoremany ( )
Date: August 30, 2018 03:47AM

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: August 30, 2018 11:07AM

I think it will continue to shrink some more. I don't think it will ever go away without legal reform.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: August 30, 2018 11:45AM

After gazing in my crystal ball and digging around in my neighbor's field, I came up with the Joey Conclusion:

I need more money before I can CONtinue. Send it right away before the spirit gets as weak as the flesh.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 31, 2018 12:09PM

I think they are losing more families (and the youth) than stray individual converts here and there.

Eventually, I think that their will be less church bureaucracy because the church can't afford to pay all those GAs heads. Whoever is at the top when the first and second quorums of the 70s are merged together will be cited as a genius. Of course, the church news will report on how this will improve the efficiency of the church, but anyone with a brain will know better.

Date: August 31, 2018 12:35PM

This is the reason I don’t want the apostles to die. It could breathe new life into the church.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 31, 2018 12:37PM

In my mind, I picture the afossils looking for their replacements by trying to find men who make them feel that they're looking in a mirror.

And I smile at that thought! That's exactly who I want them picking!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 31, 2018 12:46PM

I feel the same. I have all my hopes in Bednar living a very long nasty life. Anyone who that can follow him devoutly deserves what they get.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 31, 2018 01:00PM

The thinkers and intellectuals have up and left TSCC.

What is left are the most trusting and gullible followers, and those who would deceive them to their own benefit.

Like a pyramid scheme, it can last only so long as the suckers stay with it or until the cover is blown on the top brass. Since it's legal in the eyes of the law as a church rather than a con job ... they get away with it.

But it will collapse because there's no one manning the sails with an ounce of decency left.

Date: August 31, 2018 01:06PM

It also doesn’t have the benefit of Scientology’s hardball coercion methods, which is a nice blessing.

Posted by: Hwint ( )
Date: August 31, 2018 11:01PM

Amyjo Wrote:
> The thinkers and intellectuals have up and left
> TSCC.

I don't necessarily think it's even a matter of intellectuals leaving.

it seems to me that there's almost a type of eugenics happening. as if Mormons are being bred for docility and slavishness. following orders. you can be intellectually bright, but also prone to obeying authority. you can be dumb as a rock, but also highly independent and refuse to obey authority.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 31, 2018 01:41PM

Those who are the most heavily invested and cannot admit the shenanigans will stay, and those who need a lifeline of rules to keep from drifting will stay.

Others, however, will realize that personal integrity allows them to admit they have been bamboozled.

P.S. I just wanted to use "shenanigans" and "bamboozled" in a post.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 31, 2018 01:45PM

It worked!

:D

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 09:56AM

All it will take is for one major public embarrassment on the church, for a lot of the members to leave. But public embarrassment on the church is a difficult thing to have happen. There are always people somewhere in the chain will kill the story or cry foul (falsely) to keep the church from being embarrassed. The church's large financial interests and too many hands in the pot seems to always protect the church. True or not, there are probably far more people making money on the church than most people would believe. It'll be interesting to see what happens when their core starts contracting and people there start being cut-off financially.

Date: September 01, 2018 10:18AM

GBH was right when he said that the church was fortunate to be on good terms with the media. I remember that because at the time I didn’t like the media. But today, TSCC is not on good terms with the media. Only their lawyers are respected. They keep messing with the third rail of liberal politics, LGBT. That’s one battle they shouldn’t have picked because it frittered away all of that goodwill GBH was so proud of. They can’t kill embarrassing stories like they used to.

The church needs manufactured bogeymen to survive. You’d think the gift of discernment would help them pick the right ones.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 11:33AM

Because, as we all know, the gift of discernment doesn't exist for for anyone, they've got to pick a more reliable lodestar; like, respect for the dignity of life. But they don't.

For some reason that I don't understand, conservatism obsesses over homosexuality. Mormon leaders' John-Bircher mentality dooms them to pick a fight with LGBT. Look at the RC church--right now, in the midst of a child-sex-abuse scandal that could further dismantle the western church, Vigano--of the church's conservative wing--is criticizing the pope over consensual homosexual activity between consenting adults; because for him and others like him, it's homosexuality that's the great sin destroying the church, not abuse of innocents.

Anti LGBT is some kind of deeper, obsessive sickness, Mormon leaders couldn't leave it alone if they tried.

Date: September 01, 2018 11:59AM

Churches need scapegoats, which is strange because they are founded on a scapegoat.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 10:25AM

You don't consider the Mark Hofmann murders and forgeries under the nose of GBH a public embarrassment?

Date: September 01, 2018 07:03PM

It's unfortunate, but the sheep of the mormon flock can't see that the Mark Hofmann affair was a total discrediting of the mormon leadership standard, i.e., the church relies on revelation, which the profit receives, as needed.

Date: September 01, 2018 07:25PM

It also shows that Mormons will support their prophet through anything. Nelson could shoot someone in the middle of 5th Avenue and not lose members. So, why not come clean?

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 10:45AM

Demoting everyone's favorite, Dieter Uchtdorf, was weird and suspicious in the eyes of many. I suspect that he got smart, and they pushed him away quietly rather than stampede the cattle.

:)

Date: September 01, 2018 11:15AM

Major embarrassments LDS Inc has survived:
Polygamy
1967: debunking of BoA papyri
1977: excommunication of feminist Sonia Johnson
1984: Lafferty murders
1985: Mark Hofmann forgeries
1991: Mormon nut job Richard Worthington Alta View Hospital siege

1993: excommunicating the September Six
2002: Elizabeth Smart kidnapping by fundie Mormon nut job
2006: Mormon sibling church FLDS and Warren Jeffs much in the news
2008: Mormons burned by Prop 8 support
2015: gay baby policy
2017: Honor Code expulsions of women reporting sexual assault as BYU

All of those events made national news. Some made quite a lot of news. All were embarrassing to LDS Inc to a greater or lesser degree. None caused the collapse of Mormonism.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 11:39AM

I can accept that you believe that to be true

Date: September 01, 2018 07:09PM

Because those who needed to belive in the fallibility of the church simply won't allow the import of your list of stories to penatrate!

The print gets blurry, they wonder if they left the water running... They stop thinking about it and the church stays true...

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 12:18PM

It'll endure. We all make the claim that it'll collapse all the time. But membership will shrink, and as a religion it will become ever more irrelevant. Someone here on the board said years ago that it might become like the Amana colonies, where their product (real estate, water rights, and agri-business) endures, but the religion is more or less by the wayside, cast off my most of the world and even by the body of the church.

Posted by: xxxMMooo ( )
Date: September 02, 2018 01:23AM

cludgie Wrote:
> It'll endure. We all make the claim that it'll
> collapse all the time. But membership will shrink,
> and as a religion it will become ever more
> irrelevant. Someone here on the board said years
> ago that it might become like the Amana colonies,
> where their product (real estate, water rights,
> and agri-business) endures, but the religion is
> more or less by the wayside, cast off my most of
> the world and even by the body of the church

So, like the Unitarians then

Date: September 01, 2018 06:37PM

I was introduced to a geography professor in the Midwest who had, as a fairly serious hobby, the collection of information about offshoots from JS's Mormonism. He had no connection to any of them, except he thought it was a fascinating chapter in American history.

He had information on about a hundred different groups, from Beaver Island in Lake Michigan to Fredericksburg, TX to Emerson, Manitoba, to Bountiful, British Columbia to Bountiful and Bluffdale and various polyg towns in Utah. Most of them still existed in the 1990s, though some consisted of a handful of families or less.

If those groups still exist after over 150 years, the SLC church will survive on simple inertia for a very long time. You can coast a long way on tens of billions of dollars.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 06:45PM

The small sect from Utah will undoubtedly outlive everyone on this board. And before any collapse occurs, I would expect to see a protracted period of stagnation.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 02, 2018 09:44PM

We need a Leah Remini.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: September 02, 2018 09:46PM

We need a Jenna Miscavige Hill.

Date: September 03, 2018 02:17AM

Hopefully TSCC will declare a state of emergency and bring back polygamy. The resulting inbreeding will gradually lower IQs until they’re commensurate with the doctrine.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 03, 2018 11:22AM

I thought the Information Age would hasten the implosion of LD$, Inc. but that doesn't seem to be happening. People who are not familiar with Mormonism and who live beyond the Zion Curtain really don't know what it is and frankly just don't care.

What seems more likely now is that Mormonism in America will contract and return to a Utah / inner-mountain West centric religion and tribal structure as it once was. It may vanish completely in Europe. I would not be surprised if some new huckster or shaman seizes the Mormon groups in Africa and Latin America away from the Brethren (who are never going to allow a non-white American or non-white European in to their upper ranks) and simply run the scam for themselves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2018 11:23AM by anybody.

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: September 03, 2018 09:30PM

I probably would not have formally resigned if it wasn't for the internet and this site.
I find it interesting that the TSCC sees internet porn as it's largest threat. The greatest tool for research and information, and they are worried about porn.

Posted by: manymoremany ( )
Date: September 03, 2018 08:43PM

It's like Jenga.
People are afraid.
Overly careful.
To do nothing.

Lest something get done.
Something gets messed up.

People go astray.
Use the ashtray.
Roll in the hay.
Live for today.
Learn how to play.
Make someone's day!

Don't think for yourself.
Try to take a selfless.

It all comes down.
Down to the ground.

Don't rock the boat. The boat is made to rock!
And so are we. We are free. To be you and me!

M@t

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 03, 2018 09:06PM

I don't think the Mormon Church will collapse, not unless something catastrophic happens because:
1) People will believe anything based on faith not facts
2) The Mormon Church is well established with enough believers to keep it going from generation to generation
3) The financial empire of the Mormon Church is not likely to collapse
4) It has a 50-60% majority in UT including running the government as a theocracy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2018 09:07PM by SusieQ#1.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.