Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 07:01PM

has a street named 'Deseret'; how about that, & why???

there is a ward here, maybe 2 during snowbird season...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 07:03PM

Elohim musta named it!
It's Jackson County Missouri-West. :)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 07:06PM

I was thinking someone couldn't spell "desert."

I'll bet that person was a real caractor.

Date: September 10, 2018 07:45PM

without knowing much about the history of this place, I hesitate to say...

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 08:12PM

I don't know about Washington state, but I know for certain there is a Deseret Drive in Woodland Hills, California (southwest San Fernando Valley) with a Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints located at 4501 Deseret Drive.

This is decades old local Woodland Hills gossip, but the story (as I remember it) was that a Mormon real estate developer wanted to build a Mormon community within Woodland Hills, so land was purchased (on the east side of Mulholland Drive, near the Motion Picture and Television Country Home, or possibly--at that time--the pre-1950s movie sets which used to be on what is now the defined and expanded MPTCH property), and an LDS church was built there as a draw to potential Mormon purchasers, with newly-constructed houses, on newly-constructed streets, for sale.

I don't know if the current owners of those houses are Mormon or not, but Deseret Drive is still there (as is the Mormon church, the last time I drove by), and the houses which were built during that time period are worth a great deal more than they were originally purchased for (currently, they are selling in the $750,000 range).

Could the Sequim, Washington, Deseret Street have been a real estate development, too?

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 11:45PM

Yep, Tevai. Mormon Hill, we called it. Attended that church building until I was 8 years old. Was baptized there. A lot of ward members lived there, some of my friends and the bishop's family.

TG

Date: September 10, 2018 11:59PM

Tahoe Girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yep, Tevai. Mormon Hill, we called it. Attended
> that church building until I was 8 years old. Was
> baptized there. A lot of ward members lived there,
> some of my friends and the bishop's family.

I'm gob-smacked!

Hi, [former] neighbor!

:D

Date: September 11, 2018 09:56AM

We actually lived up in Topanga Canyon and drove to Woodland Hills for church. This was the 1960s.

Family names I remember are Nixon, Frame (the bishop), Shepherd, etc.

TG

Date: September 11, 2018 01:15PM

Tahoe Girl Wrote:
> We actually lived up in Topanga Canyon and drove
> to Woodland Hills for church. This was the 1960s.

When my parents were in the early process of building our house on the nearest hill which is on the same side of Ventura Blvd. as the site of the future church, we lived with my step-aunt and uncle in Topanga Canyon. (My parents built our house themselves.) During that time, we lived on a mountain-top in what I always knew of as "Wit's End" in Topanga Canyon, but I don't know if this is a local name, or was just a name within my family. (If you're driving from Woodland Hills to the community of Topanga Canyon, it was on the "right" side of the street, and you turned off Topanga Canyon Blvd., to the right, just after you crested into Topanga Canyon proper, and then you drove up-mountain on this winding, and virtually hidden, road until you arrived at the top of that mountain, where my relatives lived. Looking back, I think the house we lived in there, for maybe a year or so until our house in Woodland Hills was capable of being lived in, was probably built around the 1920s or so, judging from the architecture.)

> Family names I remember are Nixon, Frame (the
> bishop), Shepherd, etc.

I've never been Mormon, and I don't recognize any of these names as "Woodland Hills" names, but the time frame you indicate would have been after I graduated from Canoga.

When I was growing up (starting when I was in fifth grade at WH Elementary) I wrote free-lance articles for the WOODLAND HILLS REPORTER (it was where I went to for my early writing credits, after I sold my first article, to Archie Comic Books, when I was in fifth grade). Much of what I wrote for the REPORTER was local history because it was relatively easy for me to do, and relatively speaking, many of the people in Woodland Hills at that time had been there since the earliest days after it became Girard. The REPORTER would print any of the local history/local "pioneer" ;) stuff I brought in, and I took maximum advantage of this to learn how to write for publication, and also to build my credits list.

Which is a lot of words to say: I don't recognize any of the Mormon family names, and looking back, I think it is probable that there were virtually no Mormons among the Woodland Hills "pioneers"--I only knew of one local Mormon family, and that only because their daughter was in my class at WH Elementary. (Though I have NO idea where they went to church. They seemed to be nice people, but they very carefully kept to themselves as much as possible.)

One of my very best memories of "early" (post-WWII) Woodland Hills were the Saturday nights, about once a month during good weather, when the entire (everyone was invited) community of Woodland Hills would gather on the vacant lot behind the Flying-A gas station on the northwest corner of Ventura and Topanga Canyon Blvd., a screen would be set up, and we would watch silent movies in what amounted to tailgate parties.

Those evenings were some of the best memories of my growing up--especially since most of what we were seeing on the screen had been filmed in the western San Fernando Valley, and every time the hero [for example] would gallop on his horse to save the damsel in distress, the roads, the mountains, the literal rocks (Stoney Point!), the HOUSES were all part of our daily lives. Since the films were silents, everyone could whoop and holler at the goings-on happening on the screen, I remember all the (often beer-fueled) comments being shouted out, the laughter, the camaraderie, the incredible feeling of COMMUNITY--those Saturday nights were WONDERFUL!

My personal definition of the "pioneers" in Woodland Hills was early 1800s (although I never personally knew anyone who came from the earlier Spanish and Mexican families, before California became a state), through the 1920s when the residents were living in "Girard" (which was intended to be a kind of "real estate scam"), and then through the immediate post-WWII period (up to 1950 or so). ("Girard" was officially renamed "Woodland Hills" in 1941.)

The people who came to the west Valley in the years immediately following WWII were way heavily financed by the GI Bill, or were relatives of GI Bill property buyers. In the early 1950s, those not using GI Bill resources began arriving in greater numbers. I personally, and frequently!, used to think it was absolutely insane that every time our post office designation was boosted to a "higher" rating (I think we went from a D rating when I moved to Woodland Hills, to a AAA rating by the time I graduated from high school), all based on our population growth. It was obvious to me (even when I was in elementary school) that we were going to become overpopulated and LITERALLY "out of land" in the western Valley if the growing population boom kept going on.

Because of Woodland Hills, and all of the richness of what was constantly around me (the hills, the animals in the hills [we had a roadrunner in our immediate area who became virtually a pet when I was growing up, and there were rabbits all over], the native plants [the California poppies and the lupines and the "watermelon grass" in the spring], the local geology (I created a small "crystal mine" out of a hillside, on the dirt road I walked when I went to elementary school), the safety of the entire area, the ability to roam the hills for hours at a time, or take a walk anytime I wanted to around the clock (my sister and I could get up in the middle of the night and go out walking--my sister used to walk down to the movie sets near the future Deseret Drive LDS church site, and back, all the time), and it was perfectly okay with my parents), the residents around me who frequently had rich and complex backgrounds as their personal histories, and being able to sit on a hillside and think long thoughts as I watched the far-off traffic on the road to Ventura (the town of Ventura), while the sun gradually slipped down behind the hills of Agoura.

I am very grateful. I don't think I would have ever become the person I actually did become had I not been raised with the incredible (and often, by today's standards, literally unbelievable) advantages I had as an ordinary kid growing up in Woodland Hills--an extremely real world which, by today's standards, seems something like fiction.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2018 01:22PM by Tevai.

Date: September 11, 2018 02:06PM

Such memories. Were you like us kids, freely roaming those beautiful hills, barefoot and unsupervised? We were very poor but I look back on that time as mostly wonderful because of where we lived and the freedom we had.

If you remember the old bar/tavern in that big parking lot, right at a curve in the road, we lived just up the hill from there. No other houses in sight. About a half mile or so down the road was 'the little store.' We'd trek there on our own. Now it's a pizza place or something like that.

TG

Date: September 11, 2018 02:33PM

Tahoe Girl Wrote:
> Such memories. Were you like us kids, freely
> roaming those beautiful hills, barefoot and
> unsupervised? We were very poor but I look back on
> that time as mostly wonderful because of where we
> lived and the freedom we had.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! :D

> If you remember the old bar/tavern in that big
> parking lot, right at a curve in the road, we
> lived just up the hill from there.

Yeah...I can "almost" see it--there is a remnant of a long-forgotten memory in my mind. I can JUST about see it, but I can't tell if what I am seeing is on the eastern or the western side of the road.

> No other houses in sight. About a half mile or so down
> the road was 'the little store.' We'd trek there on our
> own. Now it's a pizza place or something like
> that.

One of the things which has always been true about Topanga is that it is a really "homey" kind of community, in a way that I can't really describe, but anyone who is familiar with the community would know what I am talking about. When I was going to Canoga [high school], the kids from Topanga were also part of our student body, and there was this amazing cohesiveness in that group of kids. It wasn't like they weren't fully part of the students as a whole, because they were, but simultaneously, they always had this sense of "We are Topanga kids" that they were very proud of, and it always "felt" like it was on something like a family kind of level.

Good memories, TG!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2018 02:34PM by Tevai.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 09:32PM

Here's a look at the two block-long Deseret St. in Sequim. It's not a development. It's only a couple of blocks from a Walmart super center!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/W+Deseret+Ave,+Sequim,+WA+98382/@48.0794134,-123.1273001,190m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x548fb8b328160e33:0x18d150d8670b45ba!8m2!3d48.0802624!4d-123.1261367

No church that I could see in the vicinity...

Date: September 10, 2018 10:24PM

LDS chapel is on West Washington within walking distance;

Why didn't U mention the nearby COSTCO??

Date: September 10, 2018 11:31PM

I am heaping ashes on my head. I let the world down!!!!!

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 11:47PM

WOW! Do you live in Sequim?! So do I! I was in the Dungeness Ward when I finally realized what a sham it all is! It all fell apart for me in the late summer of 2013, stopped attending completely by December, officially resigned in 2016.

I live very close to the intersection of Woodcock and Kitchen-Dick, another street naming anomaly that is more widely known and laughed at all around the Puget Sound area. I live very close to the Dungeness Golf Course but I actually play regularly at Sunland.

I know precisely the street that you are referring to. The guy who was my son's Deacons quorum adviser and Scoutmaster lived on that road. He lived there for quite a few years before moving away to the Bay Area a couple of years ago. He told me that the original landowner that created the subdivision was LDS. There are a couple of large multi-generation LDS families that have been in the Sequim area for a very long time. The land for the meetinghouse there on Washington Ave. was donated to the church by one of those families.

And FYI, there are three wards there the last time I checked. There were two when I moved up in 2004, they divided 2 into 3 around 2007 or 2008, and as far as I know, that is what is still there. I have no idea how attendance there is these days. As you probably know, Sequim is a retirement community. The wards there were somewhat unique in the very high ratio of High Priests to Elders. I have to believe that the membership is dying off in far greater numbers than they are being replaced, but I can not independently verify that.

My last calling prior to resigning was Teacher's quorum advisor and Varsity Scout leader. I had 6 or 7 boys, about 4 of whom attended church and weekly activities regularly. A couple of them came from very devout families. Not one of those boys ended up serving missions. I would like to think that I played some small role in that - but realistically my influence was probably minimal. Those boys are now 19 or 20 years old and they are now all inactive or minimally active. It makes me proud of them.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2018 12:30AM by Strength in the Loins.

Date: September 10, 2018 11:49PM

"Kitchen-Dick"

Where is The Boner!!??!!??

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 06:08AM

The mixer broke so he’s filling in.

Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 10:18AM

One of my favorite vacation spots is the spectacular Kalaloch Beach area in the Olympic National Park in Washington's. We had a wonderful time there this past weekend. The drive there takes us past a town called, Pe Ell - without fail DH makes some snarky temple joke... :D

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 10:40AM

I've stayed in the Kalaloch Lodge a few times, it is truly a great area. The 17' tall rain gauge always reminds me that I don't want to spend the winter there.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.