Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 09:55AM

What's wrong with making children wait until they are more mature to decide if they want to accept a faith through membership? Especially if that faith condemns their parents, they need a chance to work it out intellectually which an 8 year old cannot likely do well.

If only this decision were extended to ALL children in all religions. Hurrah!

Had I been made to wait to join LDS, Inc. until my father joined or until I was 18, I doubt I'd have ever joined up. My dad always knew Mormonism was a crock. However, he liked that they asked me not to smoke, drink, and not sleep around. He cringed when I joined but he allowed me to have my search for faith. I just wish they hadn't been allowed to reel me in before my brain had ripened.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: September 11, 2018 09:57AM

OOOPS! I meant 2015. Lapsed into my previous life.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 10:26AM

If they’re providing two standards, obviously you should follow the higher one.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 10:34AM

Wait. You aren't down with indoctrination? Huh???

What is wrong with educating children about all the choices in life before pushing them to accept just the one they have been trained to accept.

What is wrong with perusing the whole buffet before you pile some vittles on your plate? I wish I had known there was some stroganoff and cherry pie hidden behind the funeral potatoes.

People do horrible things to their children arrogantly believing it to be the best for them. And Mormons are leading the charge to keep the blinders on so their kids have one solo choice.

Date: September 11, 2018 10:43AM

Agreed.

I guess I thought being more mature would suggest a mind that would seek out "further light and knowledge".

But, of course, there is no directive in Mormonism to youth to learn about other churches.

There was a time when Mormonism was encouraging members to study about other faiths but I guess they never extended it to the children. I agree with you but I don't know of too many religions that don't think that they have the best or most correct teachings about god and faith.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.