Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pebble ( )
Date: September 16, 2018 08:21PM

Curious to know why the LDS are so into journaling. Every time I go to the Deseret thrift store there are tons of journals for sale, and if you Google the topic you'll find church authorities pushing the idea. Why is it so important?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: September 16, 2018 09:31PM

something about turning the hearts of the father to the children or the children to the father and all tied up with genealogy. Seems like gawd can't keep family relationships straight without all those genealogy sheets going back to adam. Now that we have blogs, people can (and some of my family do) give us a daily blow by blow of what they ate for dinner or where they took a walk and include pictures! Talk about journal writing on steriods!

Posted by: badam2 ( )
Date: September 17, 2018 02:38AM

Maybe back to badam?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 16, 2018 09:44PM

I am eternally grateful my mother kept a diary. She died shortly after my birth and everything I know about her is from what she left behind.

My great great grandmother kept a life long journal. From it I can read of her trek across the plains and many interesting things the church would love to have suppressed like her plural marriage to Joseph Smith and her detailing of her second annointing.

My favorite story though is her account of overpaying her tithinhg. The bishop refused to refund any money. So she marched into Brigham's office and demanded a refund which he promptly paid.

Others left journals too. Almost all I know about them are contained in them. Many by the way were not mormon.

As to why for mormons. Kimbal made it a commandment several times during his presidency.

Posted by: moremany-NLI ( )
Date: September 17, 2018 02:19AM

You journal every day. It's just not all in one book/ place.

If you were to disect (or break down) your life, like voice messages, calendars, paid bills/ reciepts, notes, txts, emails, cameras, conversations, thoughts, etc., you would have your journal.

It could be a reference, reminder, memory/ humor book, etc. Animals leave footprints. They also notice other footprints.

Memories, like hard drives, can fail.

M@t

Posted by: laurad ( )
Date: September 18, 2018 10:10AM

I started keeping a journal when I converted at 15, and I've been doing it ever since. To this day, I use it as a reference for events in my life. I can read old entries and relive wonderful moments, see how much I've changed/grown, remember getting through horrible times in my life, not to mention jobs, family memories, etc. Keeping a journal was the one thing I'm glad I kept after I left.

As to why Mormons are encouraged to do it? Pfft, who knows/cares?! It's a big thing outside of the morg too so...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2018 10:11AM by laurad.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.