Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Celestine ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 09:36PM

I realized recently that I forgot my new name. Rut roh?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 09:44PM

If that wasn't some clue that something was not right at the temple, I don't know what is.

My ex even said, "WHAT!!???" when I gave him my name at the veil.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 09:47PM

Did he ever say, "You got some 'splaining to do, Lucy!!"

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 09:53PM

and I've heard that many a time!!! My ex sister-in-law had a dog named Lucy. My TBM daughter got a kick out of that.

Thanks to summer I know my daughter's temple name. I told my son and he and my boyfriend boyfriend both wanted to start singing "Oh Susannah, oh don't you cry for me . . ." when she got done at the temple the first time.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 12:24AM

I think of Lucille Ball when I hear Lucy. :)

How did it become a temple name?

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: September 23, 2018 06:48PM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think of Lucille Ball when I hear Lucy. :)
>
> How did it become a temple name?

I aszumed it was in honor of good old Joe's mother

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 01:18PM

I had a dog named Lucy, and sometimes I did say that line from the show. She was a great dog, and died in her sleep at the age of 16 a few years ago.

Date: September 22, 2018 09:18PM

Ah, that's a long life for a dog. Sorry about your loss though. My furry pal is now 14. The average lifespan of his breed is 13-15. I'm hopeful he'll defy all odds and live much longer. He still thinks he's a puppy. :)

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 24, 2018 12:14PM

but then I found 2 males that needed me the most, so I adopted them.

I thought Lucy was bad until there used to be reveal your temple names on here and there were so horrible women's names, let alone men's. I think Hulga was one of the women's names. I'll take Lucy. I've thought of changing my moniker on here to Lucy, but everyone pretty much knows me by cl2

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 11:11PM

I think there's a website that you can use to determine which names were used (actually re-used) on a particular date. Obviously, you have to know the actual date you went for your endowment.

Date: September 22, 2018 09:04PM

http://www.fullerconsideration.com/templenameoracle.php

If you go to the footnotes, you'll learn an interesting tidbit about the early practices surrounding the 'new name'. You'll even laugh... Oh heck, here's the one that made me laugh the most:

"Fanny Stenhouse wrote that in 1860...

"A new name was then whispered into my ear, which I was told I must never mention to any living soul except my husband in the Endowment House... There was among our number a deaf woman; Mrs. Whitney had to tell her her name once or twice over, loud enough for me to hear, and thus I found that her new name, as well as mine, was Sarah. To make the matter worse, another sister whispered: 'Why that is my name too.' This entirely dispelled any enthusiasm which otherwise I might have felt. I could well understand that I might yet become a Sarah in Israel, but if we all were Sarahs, there would not be much distinction or honor in being called by that name. As a matter, of course, I supposed that the men would all become Abrahams." (Tell It All, The Story of a Life's Experience in Mormonism, pgs 360-361)"

Seriously, read the footnotes!

Date: September 22, 2018 12:26AM

Rut roh is a temple name? That's an unusual one.

Posted by: badam2 ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 12:32AM

Always wondered what my father's new name is.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 12:34AM

I always think of Astro, the Jetson's dog, whenever I read Rut roh. :D

Date: September 22, 2018 12:39AM

How funny.

Posted by: badam2 ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 01:15PM

Or Scooby-doo

Date: September 22, 2018 12:38AM

I was called up to the bemah once to give a customary prayer during service one Shabbat. The man filling in for the rabbi that day asked me what my Hebrew name was, so he could announce it. No one has asked that of me before or since.

Fortunately I had one for him since my parents named my middle name after my Jewish Grandma. I told him Ruth. He turned to the congregation and announced my name as Ruti.

It was a first. :)

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 09:25PM

Is that the Hebrew pronunciation?

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 01:40PM

Just pick one at random from the bible, its how they assign them anyway

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 01:48PM

I too have completely forgotten my new name. Don't have a clue what it was.

In related news, I just saw BlacKkKlansman. The KKK has a secret handshake that looks identical to The Patriarchal Grip™. Small world.

Why I didn't bail as soon as I saw the green aprons and secret handshakes still puzzles me. What was I thinking?

Date: September 22, 2018 10:01PM

It didn't seem all that exceptional to me to disconnect ghawd from mormonism after going through the temple my first time. I was in complete agreement with myself that no way was the Creator of the Universe involved with the wackiness I'd just been through that May morning in 1965 in an isolated suburb of Las Vegas, called St. George.

But I retained (and still do) a soft spot in my heart for the 1960s brand of mormonism. I was joined outside the temple by my bishop and his wife, both of whom I liked and respected, and I did the obligatory, "Oh, yes it was wonderful!" in response to their questions and observations.

I'm not one to waste time on pointless endeavors (Amyjo excepted) so I didn't bother to wonder just what the hell they thought of the ceremony and how they could possibly associate it with The Giver of all Life, etc. and blah-blah.

I went on my mission because I wanted the two years paid vacation and I went on to the Y afterward because they made it so dadblamed easy and it was all I really knew. If you grow up completely mormon, it's hard to be something else.

And I kept telling myself, "What could it hurt?" Obviously, I wasn't thinking it through. But at least if there's ever a call for someone to play a Mexican mormon who grew up thinking he was a White, middle-class Republican, I'll nail it!

Going through the SLC temple the following week as part of the Mission Home week experience, I felt the same way. Dumb, dumb, dumb. That's probably why I shot Joseph Fielding Smith the bird while sitting about six rows back from him. In retrospect, while it was accidental, I feel inordinate pride.

Then I went through a third (and final) time to get married. Same feelings of "boy, is this a joke."

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 10:03PM

I forgot my name too but Elderolddog always remembers it for me.

And the green aprons and baker hats... I'm with you on that one.

I should have taken the hint that it was a crazy, made up

religion and split.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 10:07PM

In many cases, we change our whole World View which often changes how we dress, what we eat and drink, how we spend our time, what movies we go go, what books we read, (and don't read), who we spend our time with, what we do on Sunday, etc., the people we spend time with.

I've been away from "Mormon things" for many years - most of the last 18 years, except for my husband, of course, who died 5.5 years ago.

My life is as devoid of Mormonism as it can get, at this point. The only cross-over would be Universal Truths that are part of my World View and how I live my life.

I still have Mormon friends and relatives that I communicate with mostly on Facebook. Most of my closest friends are not Mormons.

I like my life now better than every before. Mormonism worked for me and my family for many years. When I found there was nothing factual to believe in anymore, it was time to leave. The same for all of my children.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 24, 2018 12:23AM

The reason ya’all ain’t s’spose t tell is cuz y’all got the same name that day.

The workers have a briefing before the gates open and hold up a sign with the new name for that day. I was waiting for “Trixie,” but they never got around to that one.

Has anyone requested a new new name cuz the one they got is the same as DH’s ex-wife? Just wonderin.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.