Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: September 28, 2018 05:30PM

CATHEDRALS
"In some churches of the world the particular church building containing the cathedra, or chair of the bishop, is called a cathedral. Since these houses of worship have normally been the largest, most ornate, and by far the most costly of all places of religious assembly, it has become common in the sectarian world to refer to all large and important church buildings as cathedrals. The Latter-day Saints, however, do not build cathedrals; indeed, the erection and inordinate adorning of expensive and elaborate meeting houses for church worship is one of the signs of the great apostasy. (Morm. 8:37.)

I rest my (or Bruce's) case.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: September 28, 2018 05:31PM

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: September 28, 2018 05:42PM

You’re sorry that’s from “Mormon Doctrine”? It’s Bruce that should be sorry (if he still exists anywhere).

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 28, 2018 05:43PM

"indeed, the erection and inordinate adorning of expensive and elaborate meeting houses for church worship is one of the signs of the great apostasy."

Those little factories can erect big things and not even know it!

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: September 28, 2018 06:30PM

As if the first and second Jewish temple built in Jerusalem wasn't beautiful and ornate??

The early Christians were Jews. The cathedrals that would come would have echoes of the temple that was

Date: September 28, 2018 06:37PM

And Mormon temples are Masonic lodge echoes of the temple that was. Same not the same but similar enough for Bruce to have been an Almighty hypocrite.

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: September 29, 2018 11:47AM

The earliest followers of Jesus, being Jews, met in synagogues as Jesus had. They would not have met in the Temple. Only High Priests could enter the inner sanctums of the temple. The temple was a place where sacrifices were brought, it wasn't a place regular, routine worship by the rank and file.

Christians probably continued to meet in synagogues until too many gentiles joined and they were discouraged from attending unless they converted to Judaism, which isn't what they were looking for. Even before then however, Christians were meeting in each other homes, probably because a holy meal was part of the early remembrance ceremony of Christ.

Once Christianity became integrated into Greek and Roman culture, the major seats of the church were modeled after the Roman law courts, the basilica. And ever since the model of churches have followed that plan - a central aisle with seats on either side and a raised dais and the far end. Most Mormon churches don't have a central aisle. (That must have some dogmatic reason..)

I think Mormon temples have more in common with Greek Temples than with the Temple in Jerusalem. In particular, the Greek mystery religions are a pretty close match to the function and purpose of Mormon Temples.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 29, 2018 01:43PM

Or Mormon temples might be modeled after Masonic temples. I toured a former Masonic temple which had richly decorated rooms, rife with symbols also common to Mormonism, that were obviously intended for varying purposes.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 29, 2018 03:10PM

That’s much more likely. Joe wasn’t very original.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: September 28, 2018 07:06PM

what's great about cathedrals is that they are for everyone all the time, even at night, so they aren't a waste of money. But mormon temples is another thing. They aren't for everyone.

Date: October 01, 2018 12:27PM

If they were designed for artistic edification I would agree. They aren't so the best I can see is historically significant art.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: September 29, 2018 03:35AM

making plans for building that great and spacious new conference center? Or the meetings where they decided to invest the widow's mite on a shopping mall -- the ultimate temple of materialism?

I wonder when he rode up the elevator to his nice office in the COB skyscraper, if he ever felt a certain smug satisfaction knowing that cathedrals were really just dark, dank, musty and outdated...no elevators, no air-conditioning, dead people in the basement.

Now of course there is a massively expensive Churchco program to build ornate MacTemples all around the world--buildings that house the most ridiculous rituals imaginable and that are closed to the general public. Just because they're weird-looking doesn't mean that they're not "expensive and elaborate." A big hot tub resting on life-size statues of 12 oxen?

C'mon Bruce... didn't you ever see the irony in anything you wrote?

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 29, 2018 02:32PM

You need 12 oxen to go with 12 asses.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 29, 2018 09:15AM

The Mormon church may not have temples, but it does have elaborately decorated temples.

The medieval cathedrals were much more than houses of worship (which anyone could and can enter.) They also functioned as community centers and were beehives of activity. Modern cathedrals also function in much the same way. Here is a list of some of the activities at the Episcopal Cathedral of St. John the Divine in NYC:

Pastoral service, The Center for Pastoral Psychotherapy, children's workshops, a pre-K, a school, interfaith groups for teens, a soup kitchen, health screenings, a wardrobe center for those in need, advocacy for the poor, arts exhibitions, craft exhibitions, seasonal pet adoptions, a poets' corner, a poet in residence, visiting authors, concerts, and much more.

http://www.stjohndivine.org/

Tell me again how Mormon temples further community engagement?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 29, 2018 01:41PM

Slightly OT, but I'll bet the original temple in Jerusalem had an odor of BBQ--a "pleasing odor to the Lord".

Mmmmm...tasty BBQ. But no pork! Because I'll also bet that a priest got trichinosis and they said no more pork chops.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: September 29, 2018 02:46PM

Above a cathedral is a Basilica such as the one in the city in which I live. The stained glass is from Tiffany's at the height of such art.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 30, 2018 04:42PM

and peace when I visited Santa Maria degli Angeli (I forget whether it is a cathedral or basilica) in Assisi, Italy. It was built over and around the tiny little shed where San Francesco died.

I sat in one of the pews and just looked around at the decorative art, and despite the fact that there were tourists wandering around, everyone was quiet, and it was a special kind of feeling.

Mormon temples don't even come close.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: September 30, 2018 05:02PM

That is beautiful. It reminded me a litte of the Cathedral of the Madeleine in SLC. Then there is Notre Dame, Westminster Abbey, St Paul's, St. John Lateran, St. Peters Basilica, St. Peter in Chains,the Pantheon and so many more.Temples arent even close. They look more like fancy hotel lobbies

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 04:26PM

I've often wondered if the "LDS lowbrow temple look" is patented?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 30, 2018 12:31AM

Good old Bruce was really a high ranking member of the Catholic church that managed to infiltrate the LDS leadership.

But he didn't fool everyone, did he?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 30, 2018 05:28PM

worship meetings....

in everyday terms, LDS chapels & temples are more for indoctrination 'education' than for worship.

Don't need a 3 hour block & lots of 'talks' to worship.h

Oh yeah, members who are too cheap buy a .50 stamp to mail their donations hand them to the Bishop inside the chapels.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2018 05:29PM by GNPE.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.