Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 29, 2018 12:47PM

The church has installed statuary in the Mormon temple in Rome of Jeebus with individual statues of the 12 apostholes in a semi-circle behind him. It looks very Catholic, and recalls similar scenes in some Catholic cathedrals in Rome (St. Peter's, St. Paul's, et .). With the statuary and the cross-shaped crossbuck on the main (and unused) door, the pandering to Catholics seems beyond what the church usually allows. The message is unmistakably "we're just like you Whore-of-the-Earth... Er, uh... Catholic people!" Here's a YouTube link:
https://youtu.be/V4RlUeM-im0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2018 02:49PM by cludgie.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: September 29, 2018 01:23PM

From the comments:
"I would like to know what they are going to do when some Catholic girl kneels down in front of one of those statues and starts praying with a rosary. I'm not being funny... well, not really. But, seriously, what would they do? Would they say, 'Please don't pray to and worship these images made of stone. They are just stone."? Boy, I'd like to see that! They're beautiful, but I'm not thrilled about the Apostle statues."

Posted by: anonthegreat ( )
Date: September 29, 2018 02:16PM

Prayer is supposed to be silent from the heart with no one knowing we are praying. That is why atheists feel so uncomfortable praying outwardly to a God they can't see. They are right again. It a dumb idea to pray outwardly if God is right with us in our hearts. It is totally irrational like praying to Santa Claus or something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2018 02:17PM by anonthegreat.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: September 29, 2018 04:47PM

A second true order of prayer has been revealed.

Because God can only hear one and only one method. Those limitations are part of being a supreme being dontchaknow.

Date: October 01, 2018 10:49PM

The idea is not new. In the Sermon on the Mount, it says to pray in our hearts privately in secret, and we will be rewarded openly where no one else can see it but us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2018 10:50PM by anonthegreat.

Date: October 01, 2018 11:12PM

Doesn't make him right either

Date: October 02, 2018 12:14PM

You are right. If there is a God that exists that lives in us, He could care less about our vocal prayers, but that doesn't make the messenger right or wrong, but just reasonable. *If* the idea is reasonable, then God, if He exists, would be much more interested in private prayers that nobody else can see to keep the hypocrisy away for praying to be seen of others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2018 12:19PM by anonthegreat.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: September 30, 2018 12:48PM

notmonotloggedin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From the comments:
> "I would like to know what they are going to do
> when some Catholic girl kneels down in front of
> one of those statues and starts praying with a
> rosary. I'm not being funny... well, not really.
> But, seriously, what would they do? Would they
> say, 'Please don't pray to and worship these
> images made of stone. They are just stone."? Boy,
> I'd like to see that! They're beautiful, but I'm
> not thrilled about the Apostle statues."

What a profoundly ignorant comment. (I realize notmonotloggedin is only sharing the comment written by another person, btw.) Catholics (and Orthodox Christians, etc.) do NOT worship or pray to statues. Statues, icons, and other forms of religious art are intended to focus the worshipper's thoughts.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 10:19AM

NeverMo in CA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What a profoundly ignorant comment. (I realize
> notmonotloggedin is only sharing the comment
> written by another person, btw.) Catholics (and
> Orthodox Christians, etc.) do NOT worship or pray
> to statues. Statues, icons, and other forms of
> religious art are intended to focus the
> worshipper's thoughts.

I honestly don't see where praying to a statue or worshiping one was stated or implied in the comment.

It just said "knelt down in front of one and started praying the rosary."

Which is something millions of catholics do every day.

The absurd part: that there would be a catholic schoolgirl in a mormon temple!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 29, 2018 01:26PM

I imagine some of the locals might cross themselves if they see this.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: September 29, 2018 04:26PM

Wow..... that stinks of desperation. Even cutting the marble from the same quarries as Michelangelo? Reminds me of Jurassic Park, “spared no expense”.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 29, 2018 04:33PM

Mormons still have a lot to learn from Catholics.

None of the statues look like they are in agonizing pain- not even Jesus!. There is no blood. How are they going to drum up guilt emotions with those statues? Those look like Disney-Jesus characters. That's not going to compete with the 14 creepy stations of the cross in Rome. ;)

Posted by: anon2828 ( )
Date: September 29, 2018 08:35PM

I knew something looked off about them! Disney-Jesus is the best way to describe it. The feelings evoked are much different and not in a good way.

Posted by: xxxMMooo ( )
Date: September 29, 2018 04:55PM

The statues are in the Visitors' Center not the temple itself, fwiw. They've been using the Christus statue for years at various visitor centers around the world. The statues of the apostles might be a new thing.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 29, 2018 08:51PM

True. It's the same buddy Jesus I've seen in USA locations.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: September 29, 2018 08:09PM

As they say, when in Rome....

Be Catholic....HAHAHA

Posted by: anon2828 ( )
Date: September 29, 2018 08:32PM

I hate how deceptive LDS Inc. is. Someone in the comments said the church was trying to incorporate "local culture." Yeah, like the church cares about local culture. Forget all the "local culture" where drinking caffeinated tea is the norm. Same for places where tribal tattoos celebrate heritage and rites of passage into adulthood. Mormons liked to pride themselves for being rivals with the Catholic Church. Now it's a recruiting strategy so it's suddenly okay.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: September 29, 2018 08:35PM

Hehehe...I really thought that they would be statues of the current Mormon 12 Apostles, not those classical ones of the originals. That really is going to confuse people in Rome, as all the original apostles are also Catholic and Anglican saints. On the other hand, how uninspiring statues of the current crop of geezers would be to anyone.

Date: September 29, 2018 09:28PM

In Wurzburg theres a cathedral with a st kilian statue. He was beheaded in Wurzburg by a jealous rulers wife because he declared their marriage invalid. So his statue has him holding his severed head.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: September 30, 2018 03:21AM

THE (MORmON) church despises THE (Catholic) Church, especially when the MORmONS are trying to emulate the Catholic Church to try to steal some of their Catholic members ....... except for the times when the MORmONS pretend to like THE (Catholic) Church to cozy up to it .......to try to steal (convert) some of its members.

Way too much MORmON phoniness and ulterior motives for me !!!!!!!

Posted by: kriss_ ( )
Date: September 30, 2018 04:01AM

Did you know it is very interesting to see what Catholic people think about Mormons.

Posted by: Just Wonderin ( )
Date: October 02, 2018 12:30PM

Fascinating reading!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 30, 2018 05:04AM

They're trying to be faux Italian and faux Catholic at the same time.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 30, 2018 03:14PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.