Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mormon nomore ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 06:54AM

If there is a God, is it possible that he is ashamed of religion?

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-iranian-refugee-20180930-story.html

FACT: Religion has caused as much sorrow and devastation as disease and death.

Those who leave religion experience freedom and self-realization, but only if they survive their second birth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 07:18AM

...to put a stop to all the sorrow, devastation, disease and death, well...God would be that person, right?

I hear people sometimes talk about the concept of "intelligent design." Design? Maybe. Intelligent? Not so much, when you're talking about a being that's supposed to be omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent.

I've been feeding some feral street cats in the area where I live. There's many of them. They used to live in a run-down, largely abandoned urban area. Now that a new development project is under construction, they've essentially been thrown out of their former habitat and are turning up hiding under cars, in bushes and all kinds of weird places in neighboring areas. I don't have the resources to take them into my home (there's dozens of them that I'm personally aware of) and there are no shelters in the area that can do anything.

I do what I can day-to-day to make things better for them, but I'm not an omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent being and I know that many of them face a grim future.

Some of them have taken to killing birds, along with mice and such in the area. Can't blame them of course. It's the way god made them. Some people welcome the killing of the mice. Some old people who used to like feeding pigeons in the area are dismayed.

What's any of this got to do with the original question?

If there is a God who created the world, why did that God make, as the fundamental principle of the creation, the basic rule that virtually everything that's alive only lives as a result of the death of other living things.

Seems like an omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent God could do better.

Religion?

Can you blame people for being the way they are and religions for being the way they are anymore than you can blame cats for being the way they are? I mean, if you believe in an omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent God who designed and created everything?

So I can't imagine that God would be ashamed. If God was ashamed, God could change the rules of his creation.

Maybe there is no God that exists in the way that this question imagines. Or maybe there is a God that does not particularly care about all the sorrow, devastation, disease and death. If he did, who would be more to blame than him?

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 09:44AM

Wally prince, I leave food out for the feral animals, too. Can't stand to see any domesticated animal with no food or shelter.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 10:09AM

If there is a god, he/she/it is certainly not represented by any religion I’ve ever encountered.

Posted by: Henry Bemis ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 10:46AM

Well, if there is a God I would think he would be more ashamed of himself for his own immoral character, rather than casting aspersions at religion. After all, religion, for all its faults, represents human beings trying to figure out what a silent, disinterested "God" would have them believe and do. If they get it wrong, and God just stands by in silent anger or amusement, whose fault is it?

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 01:22PM

What God?

I'm not god but I believe religion is a curse on humanity.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 01:29PM

...you're a goddess...

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 01:39PM

Get a room, you libidinous teenagers!

Date: October 01, 2018 01:49PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Get a room, you libidinous teenagers!

You are just the best, Lot's Wife.

Date: October 01, 2018 01:39PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> ...you're a goddess...

thank you mi amor.... Te amo.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 07:14PM

I'll have you know I'm living vicariously through you, saucie. Live it up!

Date: October 01, 2018 07:19PM

Pretty cool, what they have.

Date: October 02, 2018 03:02PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> Pretty cool, what they have.

thank you Lot's Wife.

Date: October 02, 2018 02:50PM

dagny Wrote:
> I'll have you know I'm living vicariously through
> you, saucie. Live it up!

I'll try my best for you Luvie... its a heavy responsibility but

someones got to do it. ;)

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 01:41PM

If there were a God and he had any self respect at all, then, yes, he would be ashamed of religion.

But since man made god, all 25,000 of them, it is man who should be ashamed of religion. Divisive, power-mongering, greedy, sex crime covering up, political, bigoted, religions.

Posted by: anonthegreat ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 02:25PM

God is not ashamed of the pyramid religions because he let man create them to teach that evil is created by the structures automatically. Evil criminals will use the structures to steal everyone's money. Haven't we learned that truth yet? If man created the evil power structures, man can also change them by using reason.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 02:28PM

You know an awful lot about God. Does God communicate with you regularly?

Date: October 01, 2018 02:54PM

It is reasonable to believe if there is a God, then based on all the evidence, that that is the most likely reason we are put down here because IT IS TRUE. We either love money and use people or we love people and use money. Everyone. Therefore, if everyone deals with the money as a primary issue of life, then *if* God exists, it must be one of the main reasons we are on earth. The structures create all the evils. We created them, not God. The structures and systems are the problem, not God. That idea is calculated by reason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2018 02:59PM by anonthegreat.

Date: October 01, 2018 02:30PM

And you just happen to know this? Because you talked with God face to face and he told you? Right.

Why on earth should anyone believe you? Ridiculous.

Date: October 01, 2018 02:39PM

Jethro told Moses to build the mental pyramids, creating all the religions on the planet, so how could God be ashamed of them? It was a man's idea to do it. We the people have agreed to live under them--except the atheists, of course, who figure out the lying scammers a long time ago.

Date: October 01, 2018 02:50PM

You really going to use the Bible as evidence to convince an atheist of something? Uh. You might want to re-think that as it lacks logic in a big way.

Date: October 01, 2018 04:09PM

Atheists can use the Bible to prove God does not exist, and yet, no one can use the Bible to state the fact that all Biblical religions cause much evil because criminals at the top of the pyramids that were created by Jethro rob the people? Isn't this a double standard?

Date: October 01, 2018 04:20PM

Where do you get the notion that Jethro taught created "pyramids?" There is nothing in the Bible to that effect.

Date: October 01, 2018 04:36PM

Jethro told Moses to build a hierarchy of Judges. God wanted to talk to everyone at Mount Sinai face-to-face. Because the hierarchy was already in place, they asked God if they could get their questions answered through the previously set up structure through Moses. They asked Him not to talk to them. He complied to their request. It was a very good decision because now we can see what the hierarchical structures can do to the planet. Those at the top tell half-truths and rob us.

Date: October 01, 2018 05:00PM

The Bible says Moses ascended, spoke to God, descended, and spoke to the people.

There is nothing to indicate that the judges saw God or that Moses used them when conveying the divine message.

As usual, you are pulling bizarre particles out of your Antarctica.

Date: October 01, 2018 05:10PM

Exodos 20 records He gave the ten commandments to all of Israel with His voice, and the people asked God to speak to Moses but not to the people. They had the hierarchy in place at this time to trust in. They wanted to trust in the hierarchy of men rather than God. Men and women have never changed since that moment.

Date: October 01, 2018 05:28PM

> the people asked
> God to speak to Moses but not to the people.

False. The people asked Moses to speak to God, not God to speak to Moses.

> They
> had the hierarchy in place at this time to trust
> in.

Can you name one large polity that has no bureaucracy? Is the mere existence of a bureaucracy or government inculpatory? What sort of government do you consider appropriate, if any?

> They wanted to trust in the hierarchy of men
> rather than God.

False. The hierarchy was not involved in any way. Moses spoke to God and then spoke to the people. There is no indication that the "hierarchy" intervened or intermediated in any way.

You are making this stuff up as you go along.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2018 05:29PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: October 01, 2018 06:14PM

Anyone can read Exodus 20 and the few chapters before about the creation of the hierarchy of judges and make their own conclusion about the post. There is no reason to discuss this further. Someone asked if God is ashamed of religion and the question was rationally answered.

Date: October 01, 2018 06:36PM

Someone catches you in a misstatement and you say "humph!" and run away?

That is not the behavior of a dispassionate and rational person.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 07:23PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> You are making this stuff up as you go along.

Um...yeah.

Date: October 01, 2018 04:42PM

The Bible proves that the Bible exists. The Bible does not prove god exists. Neither do sunsets, butterflies, or babies. They only prove they themselves exist.

The Bible does not prove god does not exist either because nothing proves that.

The only thing that would prove God existed is if he showed up and said "HI Y'all! It's Meeeeee!"

Atheists lack a belief in God. I don't know a single one who thinks it is possible or are even interested in proving god does not exist. I have never ever heard of an atheist using the Bible to prove that God does not exist. It is however fun to use the Bible to prove that outlandish, bigoted, contradictory blather exists.

And . . . are we talking Jethro as in Tull or Jed Clampet's nephew? I don't think either was into pyramids but the one in the Bible sure wasn't.

Date: October 01, 2018 05:20PM

The post identifies the Biblical hierarchy originated from Jethro, and the people at the top of the hierarchies (mental pyramids) tell half-truths and rob us. The post is not intended to argue the existence of God. Whether an atheist or not, it doesn't matter.

Date: October 01, 2018 06:20PM

Meaning, whether we are atheist or believer, the test with money is the same for everyone to learn, making the LDS purpose of life false.

Date: October 02, 2018 06:42PM

Money isn't a test anymore than eating food produced on corporate farm than growing it yourself. Do you do that to avoid money?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 05:05PM

anonthegreat Wrote:
> Atheists can use the Bible to prove God does not
> exist...

No, actually, atheists *can't* do that.
Nobody can.

Posted by: mootman ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 02:19PM

She knows that "religion" is an integral part of civilization and humanity and if one could actually remove it from humanity, one would no longer have the human species and then you would have another thing altogether

Date: October 01, 2018 02:23PM

Really? Is that a good root cause analysis? Religion is a meta concept. Belief is an individual one. Humans believe things. I believe it is a part of our nature. These beliefs don't need to be socially organized. People do that just like they did with work in ancient tribes.

Animistic "religions" didn't make humans human in my opinion. Brains don't make religions. Groups of them do.

Date: October 01, 2018 02:27PM

Oddly as an atheist I still feel like the human species. Every atheist I know functions and looks like the human species.

Without religion you have humankind in its purest form--still able to learn, adapt, interact, plant gardens and love, and, make pizza.

Date: October 01, 2018 02:29PM

Maybe they fall into the Atheism is a religion camp?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 03:08PM

I don't know about God, but I find religion shameful.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 03:23PM

The only good thing I ever saw in any religion was the Vestal Virgins. I can see how they'd keep a young buck interested in religion!

Posted by: badam3 ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 07:24PM

If there is a god I do not think he is connected or running the ship of any religion.

Date: October 02, 2018 06:13PM

People get together to "fellowship" and build each other up emotionally, and that is fine. We need each other to survive, as long as the person knows their religion is a social club of deep emotions and do not expect to learn any truth from it. Stay "mentally" away from the theologians and false prophets, and we will all be fine.

That's what is so confusing. The truth is people need people in mortality, and we all need to embrace the idea that the Golden Rule in a circle of unity at the bottom is better than survival of the fittest in a pyramid at the top where criminals learn how to rob us with half-truths. It is not rocket science.

People get confused because churches are nothing but social clubs to pray to each other and not to God in the heart. Once a person sees the rational idea, they can begin building social networks anywhere. They must keep their ideas about God to themselves, or they will be crucified by their friends and family. It is not against any laws to keep our beliefs about God a secret because it is no one else's business. But we do need to share physical realities with each other as people needing each other. If they ask what we believe, just say, oh, I like to keep my beliefs private. That will end the religious fighting over time. Collusion of ideas in structured hierarchical religions just creates arrogance, power brokering, and arguing that the planet doesn't need.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2018 06:52PM by anonthegreat.

Date: October 02, 2018 06:43PM

anonthegreat Wrote:
> Collusion of ideas in structured hierarchical
> religions just creates arrogance, power brokering,
> and arguing that the planet doesn't need.

So don't join any of them but please don't start your own.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: October 02, 2018 06:24PM

God and I are not even on speaking terms.

Date: October 02, 2018 06:58PM

Einstein didn't say prayers vocally. He turned out a very OK person.

Date: October 02, 2018 07:00PM

I'm not sure the daughter he abandoned would agree with that.

Date: October 03, 2018 01:59PM

Wasn't he caught up in the hierarchy and pyramid scheme for the rulers of the earth?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.