Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 06:38PM

Besides everything...

http://www.utlm.org/images/tracking/trackingp73_a.jpg

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 07:09PM

Hahaha. Look at all that inspiration at work.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 07:17PM

They have the discernment of a mystical 8 ball!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 07:25PM

SWK is apparently trying to increase his magical discernment by using a magnifying glass. Instead of a rock in a hat.

Hint: neither works. :)

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 11:28PM

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 07:53PM

All the old men are thinking: "Wonderful"

The young man is thinking: "Old fools and their $$$ are soon parted!"

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 07:55PM

The old men are thinking, "We can't let this thing see the light of day. Pay him."

Posted by: carrietchr1 ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 09:19PM

I've heard about Mark Hoffman, but didn't know the details until today after a little reading on the internet. While reading what happened my first question was, "How can anyone, who heard how the leaders lacked discernment and were duped, continue to believe in the church?"

Then I read the comments on an article I just read- how can people just twist their thinking like that?

It blows my mind that I was once someone who twisted my brain into a pretzel trying to understand everything I was learning...and how I would eventually just think that "only God knows and we will learn it all in the afterlife"...ugh!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 10:21PM

One con-man conning the con-men.

Sadly, those dweebs continued to lead the great corporation as if there had never been a scam. At least a real corporation would have "fired" them for stupidity.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 02, 2018 04:38AM

"It's easier to con people than to convince them they have been conned." --Mark Twain--

Sadly, this is the truth and this is why the church still exists.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 10:50PM

...and still bear "testimony" that they "know" with every fiber of their beans that the church is led by a prophet and apostles, who are called by God and inspired with discernment, revelation and yadda, yadda, yadda....

Mark Hoffman successfully trolled all of them. I remember around that time even Dallin Oaks got into the act, coming up with some sophisticated sophistry about how the "white salamander" was really a metaphor for the angel Moroni--Oaks not realizing at the time that the Salamander Letter was a fake. Instead of having any discernment, Oaks seemed particularly eager to prove his worth as a word-twisting lawyer. Is it something that would have earned admiration from Bill Clinton? Depends on what the meaning of "is" is, I guess.

Bill Hoffman fooled General Authorities and temple-worthy Mormons all over the place.

There was one guy that he remarkably failed to fool. Who was that guy? Oh, yeah...the "notorious" apostate Jerald Tanner, who actually tried to warn the Brethren that maybe they should exercise some old-fashioned logic, analysis, research and common sense, instead of relying on their discernment superpowers.

They of course ignored him completely...and it all inevitably blew up in their inspired, ever-discerning faces.

Oh, well, just another day at the office at the Church Office Building. Just something else to sweep under the rug.

Posted by: elderpopejoy ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 11:03PM

There's plenty of things right with this photo!

It provides lots of proof that these Mormomasonic corporation suits are foolish clowns, true to their gullible Shriner traditions.

The caption reads "President Spencer W. Kimball looks at paper with magnifying glass, flanked by Mark Hofmann who found it."

Mark was obviously stifling a chuckle up his sleeve at the moment the thing was shot.

Date: October 01, 2018 11:16PM

It was the white shirt and nerdy necktie.

Mark Hoffman knew that this would instantly disarm their discernment at a subliminal level.

If he had gone in there with hippie beads around his neck and a tie-dye t-shirt, they would've been veeerrry suspicious.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 02, 2018 12:14AM

I can attest. White shirt and tie is Mormon kryptonite.

Posted by: elderpopejoy ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 11:29PM

And speaking of front-page Markie, the bumbling bomber, anyone know how long the maniac will rot in ththe hole?

To his credit, he imitated Holy Jose Smith to perfection!

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 11:18PM

elderpopejoy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And speaking of front-page Markie, the bumbling
> bomber, anyone know how long the maniac will rot
> in ththe hole?
>

For Life.

Offender Number: 41235
Offender Name: MARK W HOFMANN
DOB: Tue, 7 Dec 1954
Height: 5 Feet 9 Inches
Weight: 180
Sex: M
Housing Facility: CUCF MONROE
Parole Date: N/A
Aliases:
BILL EDWARDS
MIKE HANSEN
MARK W HOFMANN

Posted by: mightybuffalo ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 11:46PM

The amount of cognitive dissonance a human can put up with not to confront their doubts.

I wonder if it is literally easier for people to deal with the cog dis than it is to confront reality. Maybe it feels easier at the time. But I imagine the long term toll it takes is far worse than the toll it takes exploring your questions free from bias.

Date: October 02, 2018 12:09AM

...discovered long ago, the most valuable renewable resource in the world is human gullibility.

If you know how to develop it, mine it and maximize profits from it...well...you're probably a psychopath.

But...and it's a big BUTT...if you're really good at it, you're probably also a very rich psychopath. And if you're very, very, very good at it, you're probably the founder or current godfather of a multi-generational dynasty of rich psychopaths.

Mark Hoffman was just a small-time amateur compared to the masterfully manipulative maestro psychopathic exploiters of human gullibility that have dominated the world heretofore.

But, amazingly, Hoffman was still good enough at his craft to completely fool his fellow psychopaths--fellow psychopaths who were themselves fairly prestigious practitioners of the craft.

I think he succeeded by making them believe that he was just another wide-eyed gullible member of the flock who had just come into possession of some problematic historical documents by chance.

IOW, he was successful because he got them thinking that they were the ones who were the masters of that particular scam. They thought that they were going to get off easy by paying for historical documents held by a rube who didn't understand the huge implications of the documents. They probably reasoned that of actually understood the implications for Churchco, he would have tried to sell them for a much higher price. Their plan was that once they got the documents out of the hands of this sucker, they were going to stick those documents in a dark hole somewhere so that none of the other gullible members of the flock would ever be any the wiser.

I think the ease with which Hoffman deceived these supposedly smart guys went to his head. He started thinking that he was much cleverer than he really was...and that mistaken perception eventually blew up in his face...literally.

Posted by: grudunza ( )
Date: October 02, 2018 12:25AM

Let’s not forget that Mark Hoffman was a fucking murderer. Sure, he pointed out the lack of discernment among the leadership, but really, that’s the easiest Mormon thing to debunk.

Date: October 02, 2018 01:28AM

The fact that he was a psychopathic murderer (or soon would be a murderer) was one of the things that these "inspired" and "discerning" men completely missed.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 02, 2018 12:58AM

It all went so well until Hoffman went "off the rails" and killed some folks.
Now, there are people who bought Hoffman's documents, who will never admit they have them. Besides, they will never know which ones were real and which ones were forgeries.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: October 02, 2018 11:04AM

I remember Oaks defending and defining the "White Salamander" and at the same time,pretty much saying that anyone who wanted to dig further and investigate was a faithless idiot.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.