Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 06:48AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 07:18AM

Because it negates the idea of God as we have come to understand the concept. Many, many people apparently need that sort of notion to navigate this world. They ought to read Nietzsche.

For Mormons especially, the Bible must be true, to corroborate all those other Scriptures. There had to be a Flood, to depopulate the Americas. There had to be a Tower of Babel so we could have Jaredites. There had to be a Moses and Abraham so we could have the Books of Moses and Abraham. And there had to be really real prophets in the past so we could have modern prophets to tell us what God wants. The psychological consequences of not "believing" in the Bible are just too great.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 12:13PM

Posted by: anonthegreat ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 12:41PM

You make a good point. The theologians sit in their ivory towers in the heavens and get paid salaries to dream up bad ideas to believe, just because they said so. Then the Book of Mormon makes all the claim you write based on the Bible, but then, the Book of Mormon says the "plain and precious" ideas where removed from the Bible by the "great and abominable church". It is pure insanity.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 07:31AM

What evidence? It’s all circumstantial unless you were there a billion years ago and actually saw the Big Bang or whatever. If not, scientists must be lying. Lock them up! Lock them up!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 11:48AM

Circumstantial evidence is admissible in court and is often used exclusively for conviction. If various pieces of circumstantial evidence converge, the case is proved.

Is there any reason that science should be held to standard higher than is allowed in criminal cases to try and convict murderers?

Date: October 03, 2018 12:51PM

The big bang theory was created to appease religions that believe God created us from nothing. The Pope has finally agreed to evolution. Can't we see the scams going on at the top to fool us. Evolution is true, but not the big-bang theory, based on the evidence we have, better theories can be created. See? The idea of coming from something smaller than a dot could only come from the theologians and not science.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 01:00PM

All humans start as something smaller than a dot and grow into some pretty big old things. Something small becoming large even if you are not capable of understanding that. A lot of matter has that potential. Go make a souffle and then watch it triple in size as it heats.

Also, could you please list the evidence showing the Big Bang theory was made to appease religion? First I've hear of it, but of course you are "linked in."

When are you going to figure out that science is not out to debunk religion? Science is exploration.

Your conspiracy theories are on the same level as the first vision and all the apologetic crap coming from the Mormons.

If you want to fit in here you need to start talking fact. It is actually a language. The one language on the planet that allows us to understand each other better than any other because it doesn't allow you to just make stuff up like you do.

Date: October 03, 2018 01:21PM

Yes, many believe in God and except evolution. Why? Because the big-bang theory matches their belief system that God created mortality from nothing. We now have the Pope and Catholic Church coming in line. That is the evidence.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 01:22PM

I think you are confusing causation and correlation.

Date: October 03, 2018 01:23PM

Yawn.

You don't have a clue what evidence is. I doubt it would even help if you took a class on it.

I've lost interest.

Date: October 03, 2018 01:30PM

The evidence is the population growth rates, but when I started down that path, I was invited to leave.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 01:36PM

You didn't have evidence. You have a junk model based in fantasy.

Date: October 03, 2018 01:42PM

You've way undershot the mark on your population growth models. The number of variables that are missing from your equation is larger than the number of reasons that Mormonism is wrong.

Date: October 03, 2018 02:18PM

Not only that, there is a ton of data produced by people who have done the research. AtG assumes no one is as smart as he, pulls a spreadsheet out of his pocket, does a couple of calculations, likes the answer and tells us he is correct.

But he has ignored the enormous amount of work done on the topic. Which means his analysis is useless, as is his pontificating about the Big Bang and God.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 03:52PM

I'll just add that the big bang theory isn't based on "creation from nothing." So your claim that it supports religions that believe that is entirely misguided as well.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 02:53PM

and not to satisfy anything else but objective fact-based scientific evidence.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 07:40AM

In billions more years, we'll still be ... stardust.

Posted by: Honest TB[long] ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 12:13PM

In the D&C we learn ..

http://classic.scriptures.lds.org/en/dc/77/6#6

6 Q. What are we to understand by the book which John saw, which was sealed on the back with seven seals?
  A. We are to understand that it contains the revealed will, mysteries, and the works of God; the hidden things of his economy concerning this earth during the seven thousand years of its continuance, or its temporal existence.

If D&C stood for "Delusions and Crap" then we could discount this statement. However because it stands for "Doctrines and Covenants" then we know its an important sacred doctrine and we must covenant to always have this doctrine considered by us to be unchanging eternal truth.

From time to time we'll see some people claim to be apologists that are defending the Church who will try to explain how the earth could possibly be older - 8000 years, 9000 years, or even more. But they are being dishonest and a big reason why I post online is to help root out such nonsense apologetics. Either our doctrine is fully true or its a false Church.

But of course thanks to how the Correlation program works I've been well-oriented to thinking that its inconceivable to ever allow a Doubt to ever enter my mind. I could lose this wondrous bubble over my brain that we've been taught that the Holy Ghost gifts puts over our brains to help protect us from the teachings of the anti-[long]s and keep us focused on being good obedient lambs which the holy middlemen in charge of the Wards/Stakes can sacredly micromanage.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 12:42PM

"...the works of God...the hidden things of his economy."

Well, they got that right: 32 billion worth, at least. The rest is hidden.

Date: October 03, 2018 01:07PM

32 billion? You must be talking about those 13 sacred LLCs that Heavenly Father has some COB minions managing. One of the best ways to prove that the Church is true is to visit the Wards and see how openly, honestly, and transparently the members are talking about the various holdings/balances in these LLCs during lessons and as they plan their activities, such as cleaning the chapels/temples and doing other service missions so that Heavenly Father can save lots of money on janitorial expenses.

Now back to the age of the earth .... of course this "7000 years" doctrine needs to be an important centerpiece of our missionary efforts. In fact I think it would be marvelous if every missionary would hunt down all the geology professors, teachers, and professionals in every area they attend to do workshops with all their investigators & recent converts on "Age of the Earth" where they present this sacred scripture, bear testimony of it, and have full in-depth discussions with plenty of ideas sharing, testimony sharing, and truth seeking to help everyone see just how truly inspiring this sacred D&C 77:6 doctrine really is. All of the investigators, converts, and missionaries will surely be blessed :) In fact such discussions could be expanded globally on Facebook Live, YouTube Live, or other means so people everywhere can participate in this important discussion about this very central doctrine in our wondrous religion.

Date: October 03, 2018 12:33PM

If you have a choice between your God and anything else at all it is a no-brainer for the religious to choose your God. This does not require weighing evidence, giving deep thought, or using your reason or even your conscience. The choice is automatic, and final. Ta-dah!

The simplicity of the Christian life is enticing. No? One stop shopping gets you all you need to know.

Date: October 03, 2018 12:57PM

I'm not sure that from a micro point of view there is any reason to accept or reject such a fact. Sure I can accept that the earth is 4.3 billion years old but my acceptance doesn't materially change anything for me. Or I could reject it for any number of reasons and my day will still go on.

If you want to change something like this you are going to have to come up with a better reason than just being right. People don't accept or deny things unless there is a materially significant reason for doing so.

I think you'll find that there are plenty of people who are religious and believe in creation that accept that the earth is billions of years old.

Date: October 03, 2018 01:11PM

When I was a toddler I gained a super strong testimony of the Cheerios in Nursery. Ever since then I've been wondrously groomed by the beloved Correlation program to devote myself to complete and unquestioning obedience to the holy LDS brethren.

In our religion we have D&C 77:6 and as I explain earlier in this thread its either "temporal existence of the earth is 7000 years" or the Church is false.

Well of course this whole "Church is false" idea is inconceivable thanks to the Correlation program making it clear that Doubts are not allowed :)

Date: October 03, 2018 01:27PM

As the prophecy fails about the Book of Revelation, it will unravel the LDS Church in time. That is the good news.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 01:37PM

The book of Revelation is about Nero and the Christian condition in Rome.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 01:34PM

No worries about the age of the earth, the apologists at Fair have you covered. It's currently okay to be Mormon and recognize the earth is billions of years old.

"The Doctrine and Covenants Student Manual, (2002) chapter "Section 77 Questions and Answers on the Book of Revelation" states that the seven thousand years "do not include the period of our planet's creation and preparation as a dwelling place for man."

Date: October 03, 2018 02:25PM

oh yes those FAIR minions. There is a sacred scripture in 2 Ne 9:34 that describes the eternal reward awaiting those kind of apologists if our beloved gospel is really true like Joseph Smith said it was. Those FAIR minions are so dishonest.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 02:39PM

Great answer. lol

But surely, the student manual is approved at the highest levels for teaching doctrine. And since we know that they would never lie to us, we must accept that it's true, no? Even the minions at Fair will say that lying for the Lord is never acceptable.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 02:56PM

I don't know of anyone, Mo or No, who believes the earth is only (6,000) yrs old.

Date: October 03, 2018 03:00PM

There is one person, that much we know.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 03:40PM

Ego trumps reason, every time. It makes you blind to reality.
Try convincing a Flat Earther that the Earth is a sphere, like all the other objects we can plainly see in the heavens.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 07:03PM

I still believe that t he Sumerians in their cuneiform tablets have come closest!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.