Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 02:56PM

Just like professional sports, until women are allowed (I think there is no reason not to allow them) to fully participate in society they will just be towel boys in a man's world.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865694201/Op-ed-Why-last-weeks-LDS-Church-announcement-is-about-much-more-than-towels.html

Sexism must die (I hope.) There may not be many female NFL players in the future but "even" one would make the world of difference. There isn't a large difference genderly speaking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_dimorphism#Humans

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 03, 2018 08:59PM

"There may not be many female NFL players in the future but "even" one would make the world of difference."

I like watching football occasionally and I know it is hell on the human body. I wish we weren't so violent creatures.

But I thought of something...

Where can you find a football team full of ordained priests?

Date: October 04, 2018 11:41AM

Only in Utah County.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 04, 2018 12:03PM

I have this nightmare, in which a 5'7", 118-pound female collegiate soccer star is asked to kick field goals for her college football team. She has some success and then one Saturday afternoon, in a close game with a rival, with emotions running white hot, she is called on, with four seconds remaining, to kick a field goal that could make the final score 21-20, in her team's favor, turning loss into victory!

There's the snap! But the holder bobbles the ball and the on-coming rush bowls him over and the ball is loose! The kicker picks up the ball and starts around the right end, all 118 pounds running for dear life! And there he is, the left linebacker, 236 pounds of angry, feral male animal, the two of them running into each other at about 22 miles per hour.

He puts his shoulder into her chest and she goes down and dies of a ruptured aorta...

How does this relate to women getting the priesthood? I guess it doesn't, unless you can't handle drinking beer with the guys after a priesthood outing.

Date: October 04, 2018 12:08PM

Just reverse it. Imagine a 6 foot 180 lb man getting rushed by this woman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Schkeeper

Date: October 10, 2018 02:51PM

"I have this nightmare, in which a 5'7", 118-pound female collegiate soccer star is asked to kick field goals for her college football team"

She isn't that small but she isn't a big woman.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/high-schools/2018/09/27/era-me-too-pushes-womens-empowerment-dallas-area-kicker-embodies-rise-girls-playing-high-school-football

Date: October 10, 2018 02:56PM

Women need to kick more balls.

Posted by: anonthegreat ( )
Date: October 04, 2018 12:23PM

I agree with you that the women will receive the priesthood in the future.

Date: October 04, 2018 12:52PM

I never said that I think that they will. I actually don't think in the future they will.

Date: October 04, 2018 12:56PM

OK.

Date: October 04, 2018 01:31PM

"An LDS Church announcement last week said that ordained priests, young men ages 16-18, will now be able to baptize in the temple and serve as witnesses while young women ages 12-18 will be able to assist in assignments, which in the past have been performed by women who have received ordinances in LDS temples. Both are aimed to help young people stand in holy places and prepare to make and keep sacred covenants. It helps them look beyond themselves. But these “tasks” were immediately interpreted by some to mean only one thing: handing out towels."

I guess women have power in LDS Corp as sex object "towel boys." They really go to bat for their priesthood superiors.

Date: October 04, 2018 01:45PM

I hope you can see I misread your sarcasm, but like blacks receiving the priesthood, I believe the LDS Church in the future will succumb to political pressure for women and gays. Sorry for the misread. I was not trying to hijack the sarcasm, and just did not read the feelings behind the post.

Date: October 04, 2018 01:54PM

anonthegreat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hope you can see I misread your sarcasm, but
> like blacks receiving the priesthood, I believe
> the LDS Church in the future will succumb to
> political pressure for women and gays.

No problem. I believe what I do and you believe what you do. No harm no foul nothing to apologize for.

> Sorry for
> the misread. I was not trying to hijack the
> sarcasm, and just did not read the feelings behind
> the post.

It totally wasn't a hijack.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 04, 2018 02:01PM

I actually agree that women and gay people will get the priesthood. It will just happen decades after it would have made a difference.

Date: October 04, 2018 02:06PM

If it does, will sexists be in power? When the ban happened I think there were a lot of racist prophets, seers, and revelators of whom not many had had much prescience.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 04, 2018 02:21PM

Were there racists in control of the church in 1978? Clearly, yes. There must have been several such in the Q15. The church still lifted the ban because public relations demanded.

So I expect there will still be sexists in power when the church extends more legitimacy to women and gay people. Its just that the number of neanderthals will be somewhat lower than today and the political lunacy of having waited so long will be more obvious.

Again, too little, too late.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.