Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: October 06, 2018 03:13PM

I'm of the opinion that the length of time Mormons spend in church on a Sunday is irrelevant. They could spend as little as an hour, or all day.

The issue that the leadership can't seem to grasp is that the membership complain about the length of the 3 hour block, but the real concern underneath the time complaint is that the lessons and meetings are a spiritual vacuum. There just isn't anything of substance or value in them.

As an adult I would have been happy to go to church for 3 hours every Sunday if it was uplifting, if it was enjoyable, if I left feeling I'd gained something positive in my life. I didn't.

The old saying "time flies when you're having fun" is true. 3 hours is nothing when it is enjoyable. 3 hours is an eternity when it is dull, repetitive and meaningless.

2 hours will also feel like an eternity for the very same reasons.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 06, 2018 03:23PM

Ghawd heard the cries of those whose phone batteries couldn't handle three hours!

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: October 06, 2018 03:39PM

Elohim could have inspired his mouthpieces to add charging points along the length of every pew.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: October 06, 2018 04:56PM

+++Like

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 06, 2018 03:27PM

If the church is spiritually dead, it doesn't matter how many hours people will spend trying to resuscitate it. Isn't going to revive it by giving it shorter bursts.

Where I currently worship we can tailor what hours we choose to worship. It can be up to five or more hours on shabbos. But I am not one to do that. I go for as long as my mind and body can tolerate the worship experience. It isn't set in stone, and one size does not fit all. Thank goodness for that.

:)

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 06, 2018 03:43PM

Eventually, the horse just dies.

They've been riding on the backs of members for years.

Posted by: cocoaberry ( )
Date: October 06, 2018 04:17PM

The change to "home based church", providing members with family manuals about how to best teach/learn at home etc seems like the next step toward doubling down on fundamentalism. It's giving the message that being church-neutral in daily life is no longer acceptable. FHE and family prayers aren't going to cut it anymore, nor is making it through the week without taking about Joseph Smith, Nephi, or the teachings of the prophets as normal family conversation.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: October 06, 2018 05:13PM

Time is relative. Three hours in something enlightening or enjoyable feel like less than three hours, three hours in Morg meetings feel like less than three weeks.

Two hour blocks--same emptiness and drudgery, only two-thirds the allotted time.

Posted by: kilgravmaga ( )
Date: October 07, 2018 11:47AM

Some churches are enjoyable. People get charged up after having gone there.

COJCOLDS is not. Its boring. People go out of duty.

Posted by: ODD THINKER ( )
Date: October 07, 2018 12:11PM

Soon No hour blocks just emails from the Apostles to remind you to send in Tithing and go to the Temple :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.