Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 07, 2018 12:00PM

Hope ya'll are having a beautiful day whatever yer pleasure is.

I went to my synagogue art auction, and was given the option of purchasing outright the pieces that I wanted so I didn't need to bid on them.

Now I have a lovely watercolor painting of Tiberias overlooking the Sea of Galilee, next to the metal art I bought at the pre-sale earlier this week.

My other find is a very old, even ancient sketch of Jerusalem, with Greek lettering. It is so old that the streets are populated by pedestrians and equestrians, not carriages or automobiles. No one knows the history of the black and white etching, but I find it most fascinating. The names and places are numbered by letters, and described in Greek. :)

It's a wet and rainy day here in upstate New York. A pretty day nonetheless. :-)

Carpe diem! ❤️

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 07, 2018 12:20PM

I found the artist and the work of Old Jerusalem. It's dated from 1660. Who would've thought? At auction, an auction house in London has been able to trace only two copies of it in the past 40 years. Could this be one of them? It's framed in a museum quality backing frame. No one at shul knew its history. And yet what a history it has! Now I know it's a find. Glad no one else wanted it. Just me and my book printing publishing ancestors who prodded me on to making sure I picked it up at the auction today. :)

http://www.artnet.com/artists/wenceslaus-hollar/ierusalem-hierusalem-veteris-imago-ver-aa-yZZY4HwCRpFKCt0k85OpHA2 'v

I'm pretty sure this is a print of the original sketch. Still I will enjoy it for its uniqueness and its being from a long time ago. It's nice to have some history to go with the etching.

From the British Museum a description:

"View of Jerusalem, seen from Gethsemene, just south of the city's battlemented walls, with a compass on a square stone in the lower centre, and two insets, a key and a map of old Jerusalem as a bird's eye view, in the upper corners; illustration to John Ogilby's (publisher) 'The Holy Bible Containing the Bookes of the Old & New Testament' (Cambridge: 1660).

Awesome.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2018 12:44PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 07, 2018 12:44PM

Well, GC, too, is back on-line in my house. It’s a cold blustery day here in Northern Utah. I decided to do home church with savoring the lectionary readings—at home, coffee nearby, the gas firelog on, and some string quartet music in the background.

Date: October 07, 2018 12:49PM

That does sound nice, BYU Boner. The coffee, the music, the lectionary readings, the log on the fire ... what more could add to the ambiance than that?

Enjoy !! Sounds like the kind of 'day of rest' most would aspire to, if only they could.

:)

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 07, 2018 12:58PM

A warm puppy and/or kitty on my lap!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 07, 2018 10:58PM

I'd take the Berner every time!

Date: October 08, 2018 05:51AM

Aren't they purdy dogs? And calm too.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: October 07, 2018 12:52PM

What I'm doing this Sunday is going to the 2PM showing of "Bullit" starring Steve McQueen, a great 1968 Ford Mustang GT and a 1968 Dodge Charger R/T that had at least 5 wheel covers, based on how many came off during the chase scene. Plus a co-starring role for a VW Beetle who they keep passing on Russian/Potrero hills. This year is the 50th anniversary.

I saw it first on my mission in Brasil in one of the old movie theaters in Downtown São Paulo, Brasil. The story and to some extent the acting is mixed but you can't beat the action and as above, that chase scene.

I've seen since then it a couple of times, probably on VHS tapes when you had to get in your car and go rent a copy. It's been on TCM a few times but it's just not the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2018 12:56PM by memikeyounot.

Date: October 07, 2018 01:01PM

That does sound like fun. So much better than listening to you-know-what-not-to-do-today.

Enjoy. Popcorn is better at the movies too!

:-)

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: October 07, 2018 02:11PM

Drove back from an out of town wedding. First college hockey of the season tonight. Plan to take a nap soon so I’m awake. Wish this had all been next weekend, the fall colors would have been more spectacular.

Date: October 07, 2018 02:18PM

Plan a drive next weekend (perhaps?) just so you can enjoy the fall colors.

Enjoy the game! :)

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: October 07, 2018 02:46PM

I'm at the hospital with my 14 month old granddaughter. Her parents took her to the doctor Friday, because she was running a fever of 104.5, vomiting and now and then screamed like a bee was in her clothes stinging her. She was very lathargic and did not want to sit up much less walk. The doctor thought it was a GI virus and just gave her Zofran. Her sickness continued to get worse till thay took her to the er. Now she is admitted for an intestinal infection and is being given an antibiotic through her IV. She is my one and only grandchild so far. I love her so much!
Let me make it relate to rfm. I am so glad nobody is coming in here "laying hands" on her little head.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2018 02:50PM by Aquarius123.

Date: October 07, 2018 02:54PM

Oh, Aquarius, I hope she's going to be alright.

Sending lots of love and hugs your way and hers.

((((❤️))))

Date: October 08, 2018 07:41AM

Thank you, amyjo and becca. She has another iv antibiotic this morning, and we are still waiting for results of another blood test. She will probably be fine, but you never know for sure, so it's pretty nerve wracking.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: October 07, 2018 03:39PM

No laying on of hands, but lots of love from Holland for you and the little one.
Hope she feels better!

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 07, 2018 03:43PM

I wasn't aware it was off line1

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 07, 2018 03:47PM

me neither. All is well in Saucie land .

Date: October 07, 2018 04:39PM

Watching my window washers working and getting ready to go to a friend's place for Thanksgiving dinner.

Date: October 07, 2018 04:42PM

Happy Thanksgiving, Ron.

Date: October 07, 2018 10:26PM

Thanks Amyjo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2018 10:26PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: October 07, 2018 09:49PM

Where the heck was I???
I didn't even know the site was down.
And I'm usually here at odd hours thru the night when I can't sleep.

I am clueless.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 07, 2018 10:12PM

Keep us posted on how your granddaughter is doing!!

I missed RfM being down, too. I took dogs for a walk, then went shopping and to breakfast with my boyfriend.

Then I came home to work from 2 to 10, BUT it is Jackson off season and things have SLOWED DOWN BIG TIME. It is always as if they flip off a switch when Jackson slows down. Maybe when Utah has UEA in 2 weeks there will be more weekend work. So I've sat here off and on watching for work to come on. Not much so far. Took an hour nap in between. Had dinner with boyfriend.

Cache Valley hasn't had any rain today. It has been cloudy. It has been GREAT to have some change in the weather after so many months of HEAT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2018 10:12PM by cl2.

Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: October 07, 2018 11:15PM

In my part of the Southern Hemisphere its already mid-morning Monday and we have some nice spring sunshine, after a longish damp winter. Best time of the year! After the rain stops and before it gets too hot...

Sunday was spent recuperating from the 5km ParkRun and café breakfast we all did on Saturday morning...

Date: October 08, 2018 05:54AM

You're in about the same time zone as one of my children.

Date: October 08, 2018 07:44AM

Thanks, olpobot. I appreciate the good thoughts.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: October 08, 2018 04:59AM

Had a perfect day. Woodworking in my unheated shop while drinking black coffee and playing old Country music on the AM radio, with a roast cooking in the house in the crockpot.

Date: October 08, 2018 05:56AM

Simple pleasures.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.