Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 07:26PM

(edited to bring it back on topic after all)

Luv ya Big Bearded Bruins but The Cup is OURS!

Here's Lord Stanley in Stanley Park (Vancouver, B.C.) arms raised, waiting to receive his Cup back, at last.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uncle_buddha/4566897744/

Today Lord Stanley is wearing a Canucks jersey and holding a replica Stanley Cup. (Not that we want to jinx it or ungraciously assume too much at this stage but...) :)

It's the sixth game of a seven game series, playing tonight in Boston. First time ever the Vancouver Canucks could win the Stanley Cup for their legions of loyal (and long-suffering) fans. (Well, they could have won in '94 but those pesky tough USA guys got in the way. We don't wanna live thru that again).

The rain stopped, the sun came out, the hot dogs are cookin' and the beer is flowin'.

It's a good night NOT to be a Mormon! :)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2011 08:02PM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: June 13, 2011 09:22PM

Apparently, our goalie has issues with the TD Garden. :(

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 10:14PM

yet, through the second period of game 6, it's Boston 18, Vancouver 6.

Date: June 13, 2011 11:08PM

And yeah, good example of how stats don't tell a whole story. If this were football (soccer) with aggregate scoring, we'd be sunk. We've only beat Boston by 1-0 scores in Van, while they have scored 8, 4 and 5 at home. (Maybe more, I couldn't even watch the last 5 minutes tonight).

If home ice advantage comes through, we'll win the Cup on Wednesday in Vancouver. It's a nail-biter though. But really, I can't go through this 2-month odyssey again next year.

It really has seemed as though Vancouver was a "team of destiny" this year. There's still one more chance though but really, it shows you that feelings aren't really a good yardstick, as so many people "felt" that Vancouver was gonna sweep the series.

Feelings don't trump reality and that is a fact.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 10:38AM

Condolences....but to paraphrase a well known football coach: "It's better to lose and live in Vancouver than win and live in Boston."

Posted by: outofutah ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 11:09AM

scene is all about that we're all seeing on the news. What's wrong with those people that they would do so much destruction and cause so much turmoil over a stupid hockey game.

thankful I'm not from Vancouver...

out

Date: June 16, 2011 01:15PM

Brutal doesn't begin to describe the disappointment. FOUR chances to win and we couldn't finish it.

Well, Boston played like Boston can play and they deserved the win.

Following on, seeing SOME (mostly drunken) so-called fans causing chaos in the streets, including fights, fires and looting, requiring riot police, smoke bombs and tear gas to subdue them, was shocking, depressing, and embarrassing. There was a concert for families going on in a downtown theatre and when it was over, the audience was afraid to go out onto the streets. Scary for adults and kids alike, and shameful.

To outofutah, this behaviour by no means represents the bulk of Vancouverites or the usual atmosphere of our beautiful city. Vancouver has often been voted by objective sources as one of the top most liveable cities in the world and Canada consistently ranks high on similar lists as being a great country. Many people in this tough world would be beyond grateful to be here.

But yeah, the image of the despicable and regrettable after-game incidents has flashed around the world. Hopefully, most fair-minded people will realize it was a miniscule percentage of the largely well-behaved crowd who committed criminal acts and tainted our good name.

The police had done a great job throughout the play-offs, handling the 100K+ crowds, schmoozing with the folks, enjoying the festivities together, and being restrained and good-natured even when dealing with issues (mostly alcohol-related). Then last night they were turned on, by the loutish few, and endured having rocks thrown at them and even police cars set on fire.

Absolutely a dream turned into a nightmare. From gleefully anticipating a Stanley Cup parade and a summer of visiting Stanley in all the hometowns of our hockey heroes we went to mourning the loss of the decisive game and then shock and sorrow about the terrible behaviour of some drunken, out-of-control, foolish people. A long way for our spirits to drop.

The question is: Is it fair to take that image and apply it to all Vancouverites and our entire city? No! (To be on topic for a sec: Mormons ask the same question - do the bad acts of a few render the entire religion undesirable? I can't really address that right now - too bummed still - but I see parallels that bear thinking about - another day).

Another image to balance things out perhaps is that of 90K fans in the sports arena after the game giving the Bruins goalie a standing O when he received the Conn Smythe trophy for being MVP, and another ovation when the Boston captain hoisted the Stanley Cup. We can appreciate good players and great achievement, even in these dire (for us) circumstances.

Oh, and outofutah, it was more than "a stupid hockey game". Only a total non-sports-fan could ever utter such blasphemy!

Nightingale
ouchy today :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2011 01:18PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 01:50PM

similar incidences in "yankee" territory. Hell... a couple years ago Laker fans rioted after they won! And then there's the recent SF Giants fan who got the crap beat out of him just for being a Giants fan.

I doubt there are too many cities where when the masses and alcohol collide, that problems don't arise.

And.. if there aren't problems, is that an indication of well-behaved people?... or is it a result of a more intense police presence, increased intrusive searches, and loss of overall freedom for the vast majority of behaving people?

And having the media focus on such problems only exacerbates it....

Regardless... back to hockey.... congrats to both Boston and Vancouver for great seasons. Since "my" team seems to prefer to exit the playoffs early, I'm saved from all that anxiety and ticket prices and ancillary stuff.... Been to four MLB parks and Disneyland instead...

Nightingale... thanks for sharing your passion about my favorite sport!

Posted by: outofutah ( )
Date: June 17, 2011 10:14PM

about Vancouver being a "superior" place to live than Boston. I thought that was a 'petty' comment and MUST assume the poster was saying it in jest. No need for a lengthy reply.

The images were very startling regardless of where they were filmed and clearly this was not a minor squabble.

Compared to the evil destruction these ruffians inflicted on others propert, the game was, indeed, 'stupid'.

out

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 11:10PM

Are there any insults for Canadians? Canucks doesn't really haves much sting.

Date: June 16, 2011 01:34PM

We call ourselves Canucks. So that's no insult. :)

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 02:10PM

Growing up in Detroit and playing hockey in Windsor, we were "Yanks" and y'all were "Hosers".

Just sayin'...

Ron

Date: June 16, 2011 01:35PM

The time window for editing my OP is over or else I'd certainly go in and change the now-outdated sub line.

Guess I'll just have to endure the embarrassment.

It's a good eg of not counting chickens - or something like that.

Posted by: hotwaterblue ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 01:57PM

I can't help it but I'm laughing out loud.
The Segin sisters played dreadfully and Bruins were exceptional.
Living in Massachusetts for 10 years I've seen 7 championships between the Sox, Celtics, Pats and Bruins. It may never happen again but what a run.
Were you to ask my TBM mother why the Canucks lost it was because God was teaching them a lesson. There you go.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 02:08PM

Luongo............. ahahahahahahaha!

Just sayin'...

Ron

Date: June 16, 2011 02:15PM

12 yr contract - $64M

But.

Stanley Cup ring?

Priceless!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.