Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 12:59AM

the torture of gay students while he was president of BYU.

Please tell me what this had to do with running an educational institution.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 01:02AM

Stay classy quorum of the 12!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 10:36AM

Yeah Oaks !
Keep your electrodes off my genitalia !

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 12:04PM

Oaks may have been the president when aversion therapy became popular, but according to the record, the vehement anti-gay policies of BYU began after the 1951 appointment of Ernie Wilkinson as BYU President.

Here's the introductory paragraph about Ernie from
"The Abominable and Detestable Crime Against Nature":
A Revised History of Homosexuality & Mormonism, 1840-1980
by Connell O'Donovan
© 1994, 2004

"The single person most responsible for the harsh, discriminatory campus environment that began at BYU in the 1950s was Ernest L. Wilkinson, a rabid anti-Communist and arch-conservative lawyer, who became BYU president in October 1951. He could be a vicious and tyrannical man (he himself admitted that he was "too blunt, not tactful with people, and impatient"), disliked by many of his faculty (who pejoratively called him 'Ernie the Attorney' behind his back), and who especially delighted in humiliating women, harping ad infinitum on the length of their skirts. He was notorious for giving bone-crushing handshakes to young female students, bringing them to their knees in pain, as over-compensation for his extremely small stature. A child of his vice president Earl Crockett recounted to me in 2002 that sometime around 1970 Wilkinson and then church president Harold B. Lee were at a formal dinner in Hawai'i. Wilkinson held out a chair for his wife, Alice, to sit on, and then as she started to sit, as a 'joke' he pulled the chair out from under her so that she hit the floor and was thoroughly humiliated in front of all those important people in attendance. President Lee was 'horrified and held it against him forever afterward' and Wilkinson in essence hit a 'glass ceiling' with the church. When Wilkinson left BYU in 1971, the well-known lawyer expected to help set up the new J. Reuben Clark Law School on campus, but instead he was asked only to write a centennial history of the school. Wilkinson therefore privately retained three out of five of his BYU secretaries to help him write his memoirs and to keep 'track of all the dirt on the general authorities that could be unearthed', ostensibly to help advance his own 'career'. Wilkinson obviously learned the power of keeping exhaustive files on his 'opponents' during his years at BYU baiting homosexuals. While subsequent BYU presidents have later become General Authorities, Wilkinson tellingly never joined their ranks."

O'Donovan's record of Homosexuality's history in the church has to be viewed as concrete support for the proposition that some of the finer elements of Christianity become more scarce the higher up one climbs the ladder of mormon success. I consider it to be required reading for those who wish to comprehend just how mortal an organization it is. Surely you all have a feeling for how flawed mormonism has been and is, but it's nice to have some practical knowledge in this regard.

http://www.connellodonovan.com/abom.html

It is a document that overwhelms...

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 12:46PM

That is stunning. What an evil man.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 01:41PM

Wow, thanks EOD, ....old Earnie the Attorney was my, and I believe your, school president. I instinctively disliked him right away. I never really thought about the fact that he never became a GA till now, but the chair story explains it. His son was in my mission. He was a quiet nice guy, not a close friend, but seemed normal. Thanks for the historical reference.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 02:04PM

What an evil wack-job. Do appreciate your sharing this most revealing writing of "real" MormonCult histoire. Makes me even more grateful my univ of choice insisted I was a Utah Man and preferred Red over blue.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 06:42PM

bobofitz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow, thanks EOD, ....old Earnie the Attorney was
> my, and I believe your, school president. I
> instinctively disliked him right away. I never
> really thought about the fact that he never became
> a GA till now, but the chair story explains it.
> His son was in my mission. He was a quiet nice
> guy, not a close friend, but seemed normal. Thanks
> for the historical reference.

I was so oblivious to what was going on around me. I did not ever attend a Tues or Thurs devotional, not ever, the three years I was there, 9/67-8/70. I never attended a single church meeting on campus while single! I am assuming that the temple recommend my SP signed in Las Vegas in 9/67 got me into the temple to be married in 5/68. I never went through again.

Hey, do you recall who/what your senior Adv & PR project was, the final class in that dept.?

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 10:42AM

We did a full “ Ski Utah” campaign for the Utah Travel Council. My friend Gerard and I got to come down the powder at Alta in one of the TV ads.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 01:56PM

An excerpt from "Free Electricity."

“They started using decoys for entrapment. You know, good-looking security flirting with you among the stacks of books or in the bathroom at the campus library or the Harris Fine arts Center, where all the artistic types took classes. Kids who hadn’t even planned on doing anything but couldn’t resist a cute guy ended up in hell. and then,” she said, “the second thing to which I referred—students could get actual credits for posing as gay decoys.”

“What?” I gasped. now it was my turn to join the conversation. “School credit? For what the hell kind of class?”

“They called it the Justice Administration 299R course. Some took it—hard to imagine, but true. You have to under-stand the level of panic and fear going through these young brainwashed minds."

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 01:58PM

You can find a lot about the course on line. I think this is good link.

www.connellodonovan.com/lgbtmormons.html

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 06:24PM

FUCKING MONSTER...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2018 06:24PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 08:36PM

Close friend growing up was sent to BYU during the reign of Wilkenson. Was 'captured' by the decoys. He came home at Thanks Giving break, went to his room with a shot gun and ended his life. I was and still am devastated remembering the event.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 09:30PM

Those jerks, including Oaks today, have blood on their hands.

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 10:36PM

How could a President of a college allow this to happen? How did the faculty allow this to happen? How did parents allow this to happen.

If it is true, how can Oakes be an apostle?

If this is true its terrible. And BYU needs to be held accoutable for the death of that young man. So does Oakes.

I am shocked by what I have read. Maybe all of us need to go to Stake Conferences and not support sustaining Oakes. I mean to use electrodes. How could the university justify that action?

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 11:06AM

What a horrible person. I would say man, but he's not a man; IMO, he's a monster who likes to see others suffer. Remember; he's the one who said the church doesn't apologize for anything.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.