Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: whatdouthink ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 12:02PM

Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints now no longer identify as mormon.

It is their wish to no longer be called or referred to as mormon.

Knowing that LDS no longer wish to be called mormon, is it a hate crime to call them that despite their identifying as something else?

Just because they don't want to be called mormons anymore, does that mean they're not mormon?

What do you think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nli ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 02:43PM

I was teaching college in the '60s and '70s at the time when "Ms." was added to the language to supplement "Miss" and "Mrs." On the first day of each term I would call the roll and ask the female students to let me know how they preferred to be addressed (I never called students by their first name).. I promised them that I would try to address each one with whatever term they wanted to be addressed as. I noted each response on the roll. I assured them that everyone had the right to insist on being addressed the way they liked.

I then announced with a smile that my preferred form of address was "Your Majesty."

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 03:22PM

nli, you didn't teach chemistry at CalState Fullerton in the early 80's did you?
I only ask because I had a chem teacher say that exact same thing...and the ones who used "Your Majesty" got better grades!

:)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 04:26PM

So, Hie, which did you select, Miss or Ms?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 07:57PM

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 07:48PM

Let's just call them Trans! I'm SURE they'll like that instead!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 07:58PM

yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

Posted by: Aannoonn ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 11:26AM

I'll be honest I didn't make the connectuon before but since you brought it up I do feel a bit like a hipocrite. I'll do better at respecting people's personal identity even if I diaagree with their world view. Thank you.

Posted by: readwrite-now ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 05:36PM

But I never likes Transams
I'm in a trance, I am

Posted by: Seriouslynli ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 01:05AM

There's a big difference betweeen transgenders wanting to be referred to based on how they view themselves and mormons on how they view themselves. Mormons can choose not to be mormons at any time, but a transgender cannot stop being the biological sex they were born as.

There's a distinction in the level of psychological struggle. I have no sympathy for mormons. I have sympathy for transgenders. I'll refer to transgenders by their preferred pronouns but I'll continue to call mormons by what they are, don't care if the current profit wants to do some rebranding.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 01:56AM

Is stupidity really a lifestyle choice? Mormons are stuck in their own rut.

All of this is due to a management structure that can’t just throw Oaks out on his hateful ass.

Posted by: Unreel ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 11:32PM

I don't see a difference. The bottom line is that it's rude behavior to refer to someone as something they've asked you not to call them. LDS don't want to be called mormon, so be it. I'm not going to cherry pick whose identities I respect. I respect everyone's identity.

Posted by: nomrom ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 11:39PM

Mormonism doesn't have an identity, or if so, it's complex.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 11:50PM

There are multiple problems with the church's position on "Mormon," however.

First, the church used to be fine with "Mormon," then wanted "LDS," then shifted back to "Mormon," and now has opted for something different yet again. The world is under no obligation to follow the meanderings of such inconstant minds.

Second, the word "Mormon" does not belong to the LDS church. It belongs to anyone who has been a member of any of the churches that descended from JS. It is a phrase that captures the entire Mormon movement. I consider myself part of the Mormon world due to the fact that the religion was a huge part of my life and my character formation. So I am an ex-Mormon or a post-Mormon and always will be.

The word belongs to us, too, and the church does not get to change our lexicography.

Posted by: Announcements ( )
Date: October 14, 2018 02:30PM

There are multiple problems with Gender Fluid people's position on "Male," however.

First, Gender Fluid people used to be fine with "Male," then wanted "Female," then shifted back to "Male," and now has opted for something different yet again. The world is under no obligation to follow the meanderings of such inconstant minds.

Second, the word "Male" does not belong to the Gender Fluid people. It belongs to anyone who has identified as male at any time in the past. It is a phrase that captures the entire Gender Fluid movement. I consider myself part of the Male world due to the fact that that identity was a huge part of my life and my character formation. So I am an ex-Male or a transgender woman and always will be.

The word belongs to us, too, and Gender Fluid people do not get to change our lexicography.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: October 14, 2018 07:20AM

No, it is not a hate crime. I will continue to say Mormon. One of the nice things about leaving the Mormon church is that the so-called prophet has no power over me.

Posted by: readwrite-now ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 11:04AM

(I never went on a) Transmission

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.