Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SixAM ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 07:22AM

http://tech.lds.org/wiki/Locating_members

This is amazing. Its not like these people described in the article can't find a local LDS church. You'd think they'd take a hint....

nah...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 08:02AM

Sure shows the other side of the coin for that Mormon claim "they can leave the church but they can't leave it alone."

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 09:15AM

That website sickens me.
The cult will bring you back kicking and screaming.
There ought to be a law preventing this B.S.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 10:00AM

"When members move from a ward, the ward clerk or membership clerk is responsible for making best efforts to find where the member has moved and send the record to the new ward."

Uh..in other churches, if members WANT to go to a new church, the members themselves search out the new church

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 10:03AM

Wow...look at what this "church" recommend people do to "locate" relocated members..

"Voter registration records
In many states you can check voter registration records online. This method tends to be THE BEST way to find members."

"Property tax records
A really, really good thing to have is online property tax records. They vary a lot on what you can do with them. Some even let you enter the VIN for a car and it will show you the progression of owners. This can be used to find a relative since cars are often sold to family members."

"Criminal records
Another classification of web site that we hope never does us any good (but has at least three times in my efforts) is the sex offender registries and criminal records databases. These are usually done at the state level, but some counties lets you look up bookings and releases within the county. Some cities, especially larger ones, do this also."

"Utah Divorce records
Utah Divorce Records searches public records by first and/or last name, or browse all divorces in alphabetical order. It displays couple's names and the decree date."

Is this even legal??

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 12:37AM

Yes. Public records are just that.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 10:15AM

Jesus Christ!

And speaking of that B-hole, why don't they just ask him?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 10:38AM

The whole genealogy and temple thing is intrusive too. Their "record keeping" about everything and everybody is truly creepy. Many decades ago when my sis was doing genealogy, she compiled EVERYTHING she could find, including Social Security numbers.

This nonsense about having to send someone's records to their new ward if they move seems ridiculous. They want current addresses of everyone so the new ward can swarm the person.

If they don't know what ward someone is in because they moved, they could just keep the records in a database. If a person shows up to a new ward somewhere, the new bishop could go get the records electronically (as if the membership records have any important information) himself. All the stalking to know where everyone is all the time seems unnecessary in the electronic age.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 10:57AM

The Faithful will refuse to characterize that as a "stalking guide" - but how else can it be described?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2018 10:58AM by 3X.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 10:50AM

Members: "We just want to keep track of inactive members and go through public records to find them, it's not stalking.
"By the way, you might want to go to the doctor about that mole on your back."

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 11:30AM

This information is truly horrifying to me! How dare they think that talking to neighbors or looking at voting records is ok!

This needs to go viral...really!

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 04:25PM

Viral? Why? This is not associated with The Church of Jesus Christ and the Latter Day Saints. It's an "LDS.org" site. No longer affiliated with that old church. Ancient history.

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 01:16PM

Be nice if this could get some media coverage.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 04:37PM

What's the problem here? This only applies to locating MEMBERS.

Resign your membership. Problem solved.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 06:15PM

After I resigned, I moved from Provo to Orem and my high school-aged son was living with me. He hadn't resigned but had no interest in going to church. I'd been getting my mail at a P.O. Box, so I just kept my mailing address, it was on my way to work. So any mail that was sent to my home address was forwarded to my P.O. box as it had been for a couple years.

I started getting these letters from the church addressed to my son. They were asking for his new address. I threw them away, never bothered to give it to him, until about the 5th one I got. So I decided to fill it out and send it back. I wrote:

"My son is a minor and this kind of correspondence should be coming to his parent. As his parent, I can tell you that my son is a very smart kid. We live in Utah Valley. It is not hard to find the Mormon church. If my son wanted to attend, I'm sure he would be able to find out where to go and would ask for his records to be transferred there. Since obviously that has not happened, what does that tell you? Just keep his records in the inactive database in SLC and leave us the hell alone.

Of course, then they started with the calling the family thing. By that time, he'd graduated and moved out on his own and no one else knew where he was living and they eventually gave up. I'm sure he's still on the record. Hell, my ex who has been picking up hookers since 2001 (it's even documented if you dig around on the "dark web" a little), is still a member in good standing. I think they only want to find you if they get word that you might be gay, so that they can be sure to kick you out before you tell anyone you're a mormon, or whateverthehell they call themsleves now.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: October 14, 2018 03:06AM

That's extremely creepy, and at the same time, Mormons wonder why people call them a cult as this is something cults do. You can try to leave, but they won't let you simply quit, you have to resign. Actual churches realize that if a member wants to attend, they will as there's no need to stalk people. They also advertise their services and allow people the freedom to chose the time that works best for them.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: October 14, 2018 11:40AM

These are some of the same methods private investigators and creditors use. It's often called "skip tracing" -- finding those who have skipped off.

I'm surprised Mormons don't just pray for "missing" members' contact info. Or use their magical mountain-moving priesthood power to make lost sheep appear in the pews (with their tithing donations in hand, of course).

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 14, 2018 03:06PM

Sheep sitting in MormonCult pews holding tithing .... the image brought laughs.....and, for some reason, I pictured them in the choir seats in full view.

The skip tracing reference made me think of Shister Joey skipping and skipping and skipping some more, high-tailing it out of town once again ( I usually remember females skipping, not males, but I love the image of Skippin' Joey, plus my money is that he was too gall-durn lazy to run).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2018 11:02PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 02:04AM

I have know about this for a very long time, and no one would believe me, then I told them!

After my children moved away to go to school, and to go on with their Mormon-free lives, the Mormons pestered me at every opportunity, to find their addresses. I would answer, "I won't give out my children's information, without their permission." An old YW leader, who was stalking people on the computer, as part of her senior mission, found a recent photo of my son with some old TBM neighborhood friends. She contacted them, and they ratted out both my sons. It didn't do any good--just made them madder. One son was visited by the bishopric to welcome him into the ward, then the missionaries, and then the lady missionaries. He told them all he was Lutheran. My other son was visited by the bishopric, and he said, "Who are you? "Bishop" means nothing to me. No solicitors." He slammed the door.

I do think it is illegal to stalk underage children, in this manner. Regardless--I made it illegal in my household, for me and my family. They are trespassing, and invading your privacy, and we have a right to tell them so!

Posted by: MikeS ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 09:02PM

These tactics were used on me 6 times. Every time I moved they would find me. Such cult like behavior and the reason I ask is officially resigned. So far so good.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.