Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 07:10PM

& R we supposed to give more credence to it simply because tears & emotion R added to it for theatrical effect???

In my opinion & my opinion ONLY...

The following testimony is from one of the most arrogant, mean-spirited & closed-minded General Authority individuals that has ever walked the face of the earth and is a prime example of the unlimited human potential that Mormonism absolutely lays utter waste to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvEoeoWUVX4

Mormonism poisons EVERYTHING!!!

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 07:18PM

There has got to be a documented, certifiable, diagnosis in the JAMA for that creepy lip licking. Serial killer comes to mind. What a creep.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 07:27PM

Reptilian comes to mind.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 07:31PM

Yep. Or alien, like one of those bugs from "Men in Black".
Lizard from Kolob?

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 07:46PM

Family trait. Had his sister for a religion course, and she was the same way.

Date: October 16, 2018 09:06PM

Where were they hatched?

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 11:27PM

Aggressively unattractive and incredible social anxiety disorder.

At the time I always felt very sorry for her, there seemed to be something wrong in her family. Having a lot of years of experience now I suspect she was abused at home.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 09:55PM

Video wouldn't play. Who we talking about?

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 11:09PM

Bruce R. McConkie.

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 09:56PM

Link not working...

Posted by: oregon ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 10:23PM

I guess the church had the link removed? lol

Date: October 16, 2018 11:09PM

The link worked for me a few minutes ago.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 10:46PM

I used to doubt the sincerity of the other paid ministers, priests, rabbis, pastors, etc.

When I became 'enlightened', I stopped doing this, why doesn't matter.

So now, I'll afford the same attitude to LDS clergy, even though they know as I do Mormonism is a Fraud.

Yes, I agree most of them are isolated from the rank-and-file, thus they easily become arrogant & wrong-headed.

which of them was the 'worst'? Why would that matter?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2018 10:57PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 10:58PM

...remained active in that position for 10 years...and was then immediately followed by Boyd K. Packer for another 10 years.

Introduction of the principle and ordinance of self-flagellation and humiliation? Absolutely. (Consecrated flagellation whips available at all Deseret Book stores in premium, delux and economy models).

Reeducation camps? Probably.

Boot camps for children? No doubt.

Mandatory purchases of annually produced portraits of the First Presidency, with prominent hanging of said portraits in every home being a condition to getting temple recommends? Not unlikely.

Expedited excommunications for anyone mentioning historical facts that do not promote faith? A strong possibility.

"Did I hear you say 'peepstone,' sister Goolihan? Your court of love is scheduled for tomorrow at 7pm."

Date: October 16, 2018 11:11PM

How close was McConkie to being the top guy when he died?

Date: October 16, 2018 11:30PM

Nelson is the first Top Prophet that would have been junior to McConkie.

But the way succession happens in ChurchCo, it's basically just a matter of living long enough. McConkie was born in 1915, so he would have been over 100 years old when Monson died. That's the way things worked out. But if some had died earlier than they did, and McConkie had lived longer, McConkie could have slipped in.

It really is about the most uninspired system for selecting leaders imaginable. But I guess you could say that the church dodged a couple of bullets with McConkie and Packer not getting to the top spot.

The system of succession virtually guarantees that most of the Mormon prophets are going to be guys who really should be just spending most of their time taking naps, telling stories to great-grandchildren, taking short walks and having frequent medical check-ups. Once in a blue moon, they get a guy like Hinckley who has some staying power and really leaves a mark (for better or worse). Most of the time it's just a place holder whose idea of revelation is dictating a menu change in the COB cafeteria.)

Date: October 16, 2018 11:36PM

was Joseph Fielding Smith, the Top Prophet who died in 1972. McConkie actually took the vacancy that was created by the death of his father in law.

"Hey! Stop talking about nepotism! It was just a coincidence."

Date: October 17, 2018 08:38AM

If you want an infantile leadership, it’s perfect.

Posted by: anon2828 ( )
Date: October 17, 2018 12:43AM

Creeeeepy! The crying is SO fake!

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: October 17, 2018 08:19AM

Bruce R. McConkie taught my generation that it is essentially evil to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. And yet he insisted that this is the church of Jesus Christ. That never could make sense in my mind. But much of what McConkie said and did couldn't make sense. He had some very harsh attitudes.

Posted by: Politic ( )
Date: October 17, 2018 09:32AM

Witnessed him up close in the UK in the 1970's.
He seemed to speak from a script that he'd memorised to the last jot and comma.
His voice was rather robotic. He spoke as if no-one should dare challenge his words.
I felt he had a swinging-brick for a heart.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: October 17, 2018 09:52AM

I see only a single error: Christ did NOT bleed in Gethsemane.

Date: October 26, 2018 11:52PM

the Garden of Gethsemane.

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2006/04/from-the-garden-to-the-empty-tomb?lang=eng

President Joseph Fielding Smith (1876–1972)

“We speak of the passion of Jesus Christ. A great many people have an idea that when he was on the cross, and nails were driven into his hands and feet, that was his great suffering. His great suffering was before he ever was placed upon the cross. It was in the Garden of Gethsemane that the blood oozed from the pores of his body: ‘Which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit—and would that I might not drink the bitter cup, and shrink’ [D&C 19:18].

“That was not when he was on the cross; that was in the garden. That is where he bled from every pore in his body."

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: October 17, 2018 10:11AM

I have seen this lip licking thing a lot from general authorities at conference. The theory my mom espoused is that a lot of them may be fasting from food and water and thus keep licking their lips because of dehydration.

Bruce R. McConkie is one of the worst human beings I think to have ever lived and has done untold damage to untold numbers of people.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: October 17, 2018 10:15AM

In my Volkswagen dealership days 1974-1984, the last 4 years of it I was the finance person, mostly because I was the worse car salesman ever.

Sometime in my later years there, my manager came and asked me if I could give a customer a ride home to his fancy home in Holliday, where there were lots of really rich people. (They were also neighbors and coincidentally, the guy was also the manager’s stake president.

By the time he was ready to leave the dealership, plans had changed and he told me he needed to go to his dad’s house, somewhere above the state capital, although not really in the avenues.

When I got there he told me to just pull in the driveway and I could turn around. As I did that, an old guy came out of the house in his cardigan but wearing a tie and slippers. (I’ve told this story more than once).

And of course it was BRM, and by the look on his face, he was upset with this son although I wasn’t privilege as to the reason. I think it was the only time I ever saw a GA up close. Neither one of them looked very happy. (I secretly wondered if dad was upset that son bought a VW bus when he really should have bought a Ford Van, you know, a good old American Car. Probably not.)

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: October 17, 2018 10:57AM

When I worked at the COB back in the 70's, BRM's son was hired and worked in the historical department with our little group of six. He was very nice and easy going; totally opposite of his dad.

Posted by: zanti-misfit ( )
Date: October 18, 2018 06:31AM

I've been out of the Church for many, many years now. I remember Elder McConkie. And I remember a very decent man who influenced many for good as a BYU professor. I speak of George Pace. What on Earth was McConkie thinking when he embarrassed Bro. Pace with all this non-sense about the relationship of God the Father, Jesus the Son and humankind? I think McConkie just couldn't stand Bro. Pace's popularity and wanted to take him down a peg. Only in the LDS Church.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 26, 2018 11:33PM

Regarding the sacrificing of George Pace so that BRM could stand taller by standing on his carcass, here's George's son's recollection of what the family went through:

http://mormon-alliance.org/casereports/volume2/part2/v2p2c05.htm

Posted by: 10epsilon ( )
Date: October 18, 2018 07:39AM

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, BRM was before my time so I don't have the full context. However, is it just me or did he look scared when he got emotional. I think it was a sign that he wasn't convinced of what he was preaching and was scared of the unknown. I'm not convinced that ALL of the GAs actually believe their own bs and many of them are truly the corrupt and power hungry liars that we characterize them as. Just my thoughts, but I consider myself pretty good at reading emotions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2018 07:52AM by 10epsilon.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: October 26, 2018 11:45PM

10epsilon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or
> not, BRM was before my time so I don't have the
> full context.

There were a lot of MORmONS who were super impressed with Bruce McDonkey's talk. Questioning it was NOT allowed. I know, because I certainly questioned as I simply could not take it seriously, but I had to remain quiet due to prevailing sentiment among McDonkey loving and revering faithFOOL MORmONS.

> However, is it just me or did he
> look scared when he got emotional. I think it was
> a sign that he wasn't convinced of what he was
> preaching and was scared of the unknown.

It came across as quite phony, arrogant, and disgusting to me.

> I'm not
> convinced that ALL of the GAs actually believe
> their own bs and many of them are truly the
> corrupt and power hungry liars that we
> characterize them as. Just my thoughts, but I
> consider myself pretty good at reading emotions.

I was engaged to some MORmON girl at the time, who was away on a MORmON mission. Her mother had little use for THE (MORmON) church/ religion, even as she did have quite a wandering eye. I was foolish enough to take it upon myself to try to revitalize the Mom's MORmON testimony. My words and preaching had very VERY little impact and influence in bolstering the Mom's belief in THE (MORmON) church. Months had gone by and my efforts had done NOTHING to create MORmON testimony in my future Mother in Law. Then Bruce gave that talk and she was genuinely moved by it. I was stunned. I was perplexed. Maybe she picked up on Bruce's uncertainty coming through Bruce's mask of McConkie pomposity, and that was the thing that had really appealed to her. I was so put off by that result, as I considered myself to be NOTHING like foul McDonkey, but somehow she responded to McConkey and NOT me, that I gave up on my crusade to build a testimony in her.

Date: October 26, 2018 11:16PM

you must be one of those people who does not realize that the 50's and 60's under McKay and the 70's under Kimball and McDonkey and Packer, was the "bed of roses" era of MORmONISM when MORmONISM was (supposedly) freewheeling, ultra tolerant, and wide open and actually pleasant, and THE (MORmON) church was not nearly as strict as it is now (OK, enough of that idiocy!!!) ......but somehow listening to super rigid Bruce R. McConkie speak does not convey the previously mentioned freewheeling MORmON atmosphere of MORmON tolerance very well ...........mostly because it did not exist !!! and Bruce was a living bulwark of nastiness, pettiness and rigid conformity to self serving MORmON ideals as Bruce saw himself as such a great intimate indispensable pal of Jesus and an enforcer of THE MORmON code and THE MORmON way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNO2aPLaP2o

I heard McConkie speak at a conference on my fool time MORmON mission. That experience started a major crack in my testimony. I was already sick of THE (MORmON) church and its endless self serving demands and dictates. Hearing McDonkey speak made me sick. He was living caricature of things that I detested at the time -grossly unfounded and grossly unfettered self importance and self entitlement as in raw unmediated arrogance, blatant crass self promotion and political ambition running for office with in THE (MORmON) Church. OF COURSE, McConkie's marriage to Joseph Fielding Smith's daughter was a political move.

Due to the foulness that McDonkey projected so abundantly, I found myself thinking: WHY would anyone want to go to MORmON heaven to be around self impressed MORmON @$$ holes like that who will either be in charge or think they are in charge ???????

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 26, 2018 11:43PM

Typical Utah Mormonism with the General Authority Tone. I jumped in with both feet when I got married and moved there from Oregon in the early 60's. He was young then. We all were. He spoke at BYU at the Devotionals and came to one of our Firesides.

He looks old and withered in the video. He was always arrogant. authoritative and dismissive. All the right qualities of a Mormon expert! He was sure he knew everything there was to know about Mormonism.

Date: October 26, 2018 11:53PM

SusieQ#1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He looks old and withered in the video. He was
> always arrogant. authoritative and dismissive.

That is McConkie !!!

> All
> the right qualities of a Mormon expert! He was
> sure he knew everything there was to know about
> Mormonism.

My MIL took so much pride in her supposedly superior understanding and comprehension of the MORmON gospel.

The funny thing is that anyone who REALLY had any understanding of MORmON doctUrine and teachings would then know that it does NOT make sense !!!!!!

Somehow the most salient thing about MORmON teachings is that a person's money is supposed to become LD$ inc's money.

Posted by: Hk112358 ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 12:54AM

Charity

He was 14 days from his death; he would die from colon cancer on April 19, 1985.
He hauled himself off his death bed to deliver that talk. Maybe the medicines made him thirsty.

He was a man of his time and yes, he was an arrogant jerk.
The Brethren told him not to publish Mormon Docrtine. He did it anyway. The fallout was so bad, they exiled him to Australia.
Balls.

I knew him personally albeit slightly.
He was friends with several people of my parents’ acquaintance.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.